help with repower

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jblack1036

help with repower

Post by jblack1036 »

All, So far, this year has been okay. However, my old AMC 327 "GreyMarine" had developed a little bit of a temp issue. Not to big of a deal since I only cruise at 1500 rpms for a short distance to the bay.
I've checked all the known things and I believe I might just have a clog in one of the heads because the water flow coming out of the outward side of one head is considerably slower without much preasure compared to where it enters the block and it's pretty hot as well. The other side of the block flows great and the riser is warm to touch unlike the other side. I can't even keep my hand on it. I"ve pulled the thermostats as well, just to ensure I have good water flow.

So, I've been considering repowering her with a 350 I have laying around. These old greymarine parts are getting hard to come by and I'm gonna need new exhause manifolds and risers before too long. Could anyone give me some advice on what I might need to make it a reality. Would the current Velvet Drive work with the 350 or do I need some sort of mating bracket???

Any advice to make this swap will be helpfull, I'm looking at an engine swap over the winter or just a rebuild of the old beast. I hate to do it to her because she really does run well other than the temp issue.

thanks in advance.
Jim Black
31' 1965 Trojan Sea Breeze (Wiskey Girl)
29' 1974 Caver Monterey (Rough -N- Ready)
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Re: help with repower

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

It's funny you posted this, especially on the Trojan forum, as I have not heard of anyone having a gray marine engine. The funny part for me is that my father and I are restoring a 1961 Century lapstrake boat with a gray marine AMC 327. The engine needs to be rebuilt and I am having trouble finding a source for a rebuild kit. I too will need to look at a 350 if the 327 is not rebuildable and had the same question about the transmission. I do think the motor is reverse rotation.

Todd
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
jblack1036

Post by jblack1036 »

Todd,

I don't think it is all that uncommon for older boats like mine to have the Grey Marine. It is original to the boat. Beacon sent me some documentation that proved to be so. SN on the block matched what he provided. 1161 hours on her and she still runs very well other than the temp issue as of late. Before attempting the repower, I'm gonna pull the heads and have them redone and also try and get my hands on a set of exhaust manifolds and some risers. BARR carries exhause manifolds but I've been told that they are hit or miss when it comes to fitting. It may take some tooling to get them to fit. I think the gasket set can be found, it will take a little looking but they are out there. My only consern is mating the 350 to the velvet drive. Also, my engine is standard rotation but it's placed in the boat backwards. IE: front of the engine is facing the rear of the boat. From what I understand and have researched, that was common practice back then. But I do feel the pain of trying to find marine parts for her.

Good Luck and Enjoy...
Jim Black
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

Jim,

I think its fantastic that you have one of the old Trojans, that appears to be in awesome shape. We just don't hear much from the guys with the classic wooden Trojans. Have you tried calling these guys at GRAYMARINEPARTS.COM ?I haven't tried calling them, but the website always says, "Coming soon", so I have no idea if they would be a good source of parts or not.

I am very interested in getting this Gray Marine engine going, as opposed to swapping for a "unclassic" 350.

Keep me posted,
Todd
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

jblack1036 wrote:Todd,

I don't think it is all that uncommon for older boats like mine to have the Grey Marine. It is original to the boat. Beacon sent me some documentation that proved to be so. SN on the block matched what he provided. 1161 hours on her and she still runs very well other than the temp issue as of late. Before attempting the repower, I'm gonna pull the heads and have them redone and also try and get my hands on a set of exhaust manifolds and some risers. BARR carries exhause manifolds but I've been told that they are hit or miss when it comes to fitting. It may take some tooling to get them to fit. I think the gasket set can be found, it will take a little looking but they are out there. My only consern is mating the 350 to the velvet drive. Also, my engine is standard rotation but it's placed in the boat backwards. IE: front of the engine is facing the rear of the boat. From what I understand and have researched, that was common practice back then. But I do feel the pain of trying to find marine parts for her.

Good Luck and Enjoy...
Yeh. Gray was pretty much a market leader in their time. They were in everything. Also, rear facing the engine was common practice. Those were the days of lots of torque, not a lot of HP, and huge RH rotation props. Chrysler did it too at the time, and were in fact one of the pioneers of the practice.

I agree get those heads done, and if you can source decent manifolds (you can, I just can't remember where right now) get them on there with your own gasket kits. If you have something to save from the old gaskets, getting new ones made will be fairly easy, if not, it can still be done, just more work.

I wanna hear more about this boat. I like old stuff. :)
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
jblack1036

Post by jblack1036 »

todd brinkerhoff wrote:Jim,

I think its fantastic that you have one of the old Trojans, that appears to be in awesome shape. We just don't hear much from the guys with the classic wooden Trojans. Have you tried calling these guys at GRAYMARINEPARTS.COM ?I haven't tried calling them, but the website always says, "Coming soon", so I have no idea if they would be a good source of parts or not.

I am very interested in getting this Gray Marine engine going, as opposed to swapping for a "unclassic" 350.

Keep me posted,
Todd

todd,

Ya, I've been watching that website for the last year and it hasn't changed. I even filled out their form with the specific info they asked for and I never did get a response from them. Not sure if they are worth doing buisiness with. however, I haven't tried calling them either. Probably should at some point. I'd rather not "DISS" them but a courtesy return call or email would be great and wouldn't shy me away from them. However, I did read on some forum somewhere where he was actually pretty busy with the stuff but it wasn't his primary focus.....I'll look into it more when I make up my mind on what I'm gonna do. I'm sure the Heads are gonna cost me as I'm gonna get the harder valve seats installed to run the lower octane fuel nowadays.....
But like I said, she runs great. hit the key and she start on the first kick. doesn't smoke or burn oil. Right now I call her my little steamer...

Jim
Jim Black
koviak
Moderate User

Post by koviak »

Check out this months issue of proptalk magazine. They have a article about these engines and parts.
Dennis
1989 10 Meter Mid-Cabin
jblack1036

Post by jblack1036 »

koviak,

Thanks for the info on the proptalk magazine. There were a couple of good articles in it.

And Hazzard's statement is so true......"Depends on how deep your pockets are"..........well, mine aren't that deep but I do get lint balls out of them and I don't think they'll be of much help..

thanks....

Jim
Jim Black
jblack1036

Post by jblack1036 »

oh by the way, I was finally able to get ahold of someone at Greymarine. Nice fella, he doesn't have any exhaust manifolds at this time but he did take my name down and would let me know if he picked any up. On a good note, he did mention that I could pull mine off at the end of the season and send them to him. He'll give them a complete once over, fix the know problem areas and preasure test them. At least this way I'll be able to get a couple more years out of them. He also told me that if they are shot, there's not much he can do with them. He also has some additional parts I've been looking for like the downdraft intake.

Anyhoot, it was a great conversation and I recieved some good information. I just might be able to push this old girl for a good couple more years without having to do a rebuild or repower..
Jim Black