having a problem getting the riser off the 440 manifold.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

dfg4240
Sporadic User

having a problem getting the riser off the 440 manifold.

Post by dfg4240 »

I was out the other day and sprayed the manifold with liquid wrench and also the nuts that bolt the elbow adapter to the manifold.
I went out again to the boat and broke the manifold nuts loose but left my darn box wrench set home so today I went back out and got the manifold nuts off and then started on the elbow adapter.I got the first three nuts (9/16) off using the ratchet type box wrench--sure enough the one you can't see on the back side started to come off just like the others but near the end the nut must have bound up because it reached the end and I could not get it out.The bolt backed out of the manifold and it was flush against the elbow wall.I couldn't get my wrench off so I had to go and buy a short 9/16 open end wrench. I had to slide the first wrench to where it was about half on the nut and use the small wrench to screw the bolt back in-when I got it far enough I put a wedge in between the bolt and the elbow and started to take the nut off again-I was lucky as I could get the nut off but not quite the Ratchet 9/16.All I have to do now is separate the
elbow adapter from the manifold and I am home free. Yeah right.
I really was whacking that riser with a heavy rubber mallet but it won't budge.
I tried getting a screwdriver driven between them but no go.Almost seems like it is welded but we know it is not
I might have to separate at where the elbow meets the adapter tomorrow.
anyway I am happy to see it can be done-the other side is next and there is not much room at all.but I am confident now.
Just tell me is that all that holds the elbow adapter to the manifold is a gasket?
the manifold is resting on the bolts and I can pull it off if I want to-I have the riser and manifold supported with a rope right now.
I don't want to break the adapter---$100 to replace it.
dfg4240