h.e.i. swap info please.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bigrgh

h.e.i. swap info please.

Post by bigrgh »

i have 84 crusader 350 h.p. 454's with the original prestolite distributor. a friend gave me a MSD hei one new in the box. can i use that on my engines? i wanted to change to electronic (prestolite conversion kit) but replacing the whole distributor was also considered. if i can use this hei, i can just purchase one more and save half the money (for gas, lol) Striperman , didnt you convert to a hei? and how would i go about the swap? (wiring and such) what do you do with other parts? coil, ballost resistor,wires plugs?? thanks for any input, ron.
Slippery When Wet
84- 10meter
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: h.e.i. swap info please.

Post by prowlersfish »

I would make sure they are marine rated/aproved first .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
koviak
Moderate User

Post by koviak »

Changed mine to HEI last year and love it. Purchased mine thru AAA marine, plug wires are needed for new cap. Also regapped plugs to.060, very easy swap. (1989 454 crusaders).
Dennis
1989 10 Meter Mid-Cabin
gardnersf
Moderate User

Post by gardnersf »

I swapped mine on one of my engines with a Barr HEI conversion kit. The kit contained a new coil, wires and distributor with timing jumper. Installation was straight forward although I had to rig a new way to mount the coil. I will say that the supplied wires were not long enough for my Counter Rotating engine and I had to steal wires from the other side and buy another set.

I have heard great things about the Mallory HEI conversions and would probably spend the extra $50 or so to go that route next time. Mu kits were about $285 a piece if I remember right. I never ended up installing the port side yet but that side does have an electronic distributor from Accel that is still working fine.
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

I went the Mallory route. Bought one each of the YLM 624 AV and YLM 624 BV (counter rotation gear on the BV). My reasons were to have a variable reluctor distributor with mechanical advance and a magnetic triggering system. I had debated the YLU series with the photo eye trigger, but in the end decided that the magnetic version would be more reliable over time. It was an easy swap, and I will do a write-up with photos when I get some time in case anyone else decides to go the route I did.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Commissionpoint wrote:....variable reluctor distributor....magnetic triggering ....more reliable.....
++1
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

There are many HEI and electronic ignition kits . Some work well some not so well . One of the best systems I have seen was the early GM HEI system . The only problem was it was not marine approved .But now AAA marine has a marine approved one . Its a simple 1 wire hook up . This would be the only set up I would consider if I was doing my own boat ( if I had had gas) this come from 40 + years of experience . Simple and easy install everything is in the unit no coil bracket to worry about.

One note make sure what ever you use that its marine approved just because it may look the same in many not be approved

http://www.aaamarine.com/servlet/StoreFront
Attachments
HEIChev.jpg
HEIChev.jpg (25.37 KiB) Viewed 6612 times
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

prowlersfish wrote: One note make sure what ever you use that its marine approved just because it may look the same in many not be approved
http://www.aaamarine.com/servlet/StoreFront
Approved meaning sealed cap and flame arrestor at the vent. Extremely important in a marine engine room. You've posted this link a few times Paul and you really have me thinking now. I have the original Mallory "points" distributor that I rebuilt and added a Sierra "Electronic Conversion Kit" to. Although this system has worked flawlessly, that HEI system would sure look sweet atop my 350. I'm guessing that the HEI's advance curve may give me a little better fuel economy as well. Hey, maybe that's what I'll tell the wife while she's rolling her eyes at me. :roll:
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
gardnersf
Moderate User

Post by gardnersf »

I wish I would have seen this when I bought mine a couple fo years ago. Coil built into the unit, easier install. Good price.