genorator frustration- I am about ready to throw it in the

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

sluggo
Sporadic User

genorator frustration- I am about ready to throw it in the

Post by sluggo »

river!!!
I went to fire up the genny for the first time this year. It did not hit, I know I have spark, so I checked the fuel. Took the fuel line off at the carb, not showing any fuel there when I go to start. I took the fuel line off at the fuel pump, no fuel spitting out of it!! I check and make sure the valve for the gas is open, it appears to me it is. I swear last year I replaced the fuel pump with a new one!!. Could it be so clogged up no fuel can pass? I guess it could be a bad pump, so I guess I should take off, and make sure it works, and if so make sure it getting power. What else to check?? thoughts??
Sluggo
87 10 mid cabin
Ohio river
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Re: genorator frustration- I am about ready to throw it in t

Post by Stripermann2 »

1- What make of generator?
2- What size generator?
3- What year?
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
sluggo
Sporadic User

Post by sluggo »

onan 6.5kw MCCK circa 1987, thanks
Sluggo
87 10 mid cabin
Ohio river
koviak
Moderate User

Post by koviak »

Check for 12voltsthe to fuel pump, if none check it at the oil pressure switch. If both are good check all temp. Hi limits, they should be closed. Also make sure oil level is correct.
Dennis
1989 10 Meter Mid-Cabin
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

Spec J/J1. Thats important to know.

What pump did you put on it when you replaced it? There is an update bulletin that states to use a certain replacement pump on these models. Its a Facet model. I can get you the number if it will help.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
sluggo
Sporadic User

Post by sluggo »

Commissionpoint wrote:Spec J/J1. Thats important to know.

What pump did you put on it when you replaced it? There is an update bulletin that states to use a certain replacement pump on these models. Its a Facet model. I can get you the number if it will help.
thank you, yes I used a facet pump. My frustration is, I had it started to winterize it, then I go to un winterize it, and it wont start. so I go to chase down some things, and I dont see it pumping gas. I figure the genny needs gas to start. So I figure, either it is totally stopped up, or the pump is not getting power, or if it is getting power it just does work. My goal is to check for power to the pump, and if I am getting power, take the pump off and see if it needs cleaned and if it still works. thanks is advance.
Sluggo
87 10 mid cabin
Ohio river
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Certainly try all the items mentioned above but if you have between 1/4 and 1/2 tank of fuel in the tank it draws from, that could be your answer as the fuel pick up for the generator does not go all the way to the bottom of the tank like the engine pick ups do.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Commissionpoint
Active User

Big D wrote:....... the fuel pick up for the generator does not go all the way to the bottom of the tank like the engine pick ups do.
Depends. My set-up draws off the fuel manifold, so I only have one set of pickups and they all draw to the bottom. I tend to either isolate the generator or isolate at least one tank from the generator on the manifold to achieve the same result as a shortened pickup. (gen set can't burn all my gas.)
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Engines (including the genset ) should never share fuel feed lines / pick ups in normal opp . And the genset should always have a shorter pick up .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Commissionpoint
Active User

prowlersfish wrote:Engines (including the genset ) should never share fuel feed lines / pick ups in normal opp . And the genset should always have a shorter pick up .
Nothing I can do about that unless I replumb all 4 tanks, and thats DEFINATELY not happening. Evidently its been working fine this way for about 35 years though, so perhaps never is not the correct word.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)

Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Commissionpoint wrote:
prowlersfish wrote:Engines (including the genset ) should never share fuel feed lines / pick ups in normal opp . And the genset should always have a shorter pick up .
Nothing I can do about that unless I replumb all 4 tanks, and thats DEFINATELY not happening. Evidently its been working fine this way for about 35 years though, so perhaps never is not the correct word.
The point is not that it won't work but to prevent one from running the fuel down so low with the generator that you don't have enough to get back to port. You however Michael are self aware so no worries for you but that can't be said for all boaters. :wink:
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Commissionpoint
Active User

Big D wrote:
Commissionpoint wrote:
The point is not that it won't work but to prevent one from running the fuel down so low with the generator that you don't have enough to get back to port. You however Michael are self aware so no worries for you but that can't be said for all boaters. :wink:
Yeh. I definately understand the theory, and the point everyone is making. I fully agree its the best practice. I was just illuminating the fact that not everyone has that setup in practice, and if thats the case, that you should have a plan in place that duplicates the results, or at least as close to that as possible. In my case its either isolating a tank, or isolating the genny.

A little more detail about my setup is that the gen-set draws off the Stbd. rear, upstream of the Stb'd engine, and downstream of the crossover. This way is can pull from either starboard tank depending on which valve(s) you have open on that side. Because the gen-set shutoff sits upstream of both the Stb'd fuel valves and the Engine fuel line, you can open the crossover and run it off either of the Port tanks as well. In fact, I generally use the Port Fwd. tank as my "generator gas", and use my rear tanks for cruising. The Stbd, Fwd. tank is reserved for trolling and 'emergency' gas. Of course with todays fuel, I don't like to let anything sit around for too long, so If I feel its time for some tank or another to get burnt up, that schedule I listed above is certainly adjustable. It just requires changing the combo of whats open and whats closed on the fuel manifold. For the most part, when I get on the hook or at a primitive dock on an island for an extended stay, changing over the fuel supply is part of my regular routine. It comes right before opening a beer, and right after turning down the fridge. That way I can start the genny at will, and not have to worry about the long walk home. :)
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Never is the correct word . Sharing a pick on 2 engines can cause some hard to find issues . Fuel pump fails on a port engine , ok you have the other one until it dies . all because of the port fuel pump . Why ? simple starboard engine starting sucking air through the port engine pump .Been down that road . As bad as the onan pumps are ......... Just because Trojan did it ,don't make it right. If Trojan did it that way .
My book shows the gen set with its own pick up on one of the 4 tanks ( both on gas and diesel ) , The book covers all Trojans but is kind of generic to all models so it maynot be 100% and things change through the years . and Lord help what the other owners have done LOL
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Commissionpoint
Active User

prowlersfish wrote:Never is the correct word . Sharing a pick on 2 engines can cause some hard to find issues . Fuel pump fails on a port engine , ok you have the other one until it dies . all because of the port fuel pump . Why ? simple starboard engine starting sucking air through the port engine pump .Been down that road . As bad as the onan pumps are ......... Just because Trojan did it ,don't make it right. If Trojan did it that way .
My book shows the gen set with its own pick up on one of the 4 tanks ( both on gas and diesel ) , The book covers all Trojans but is kind of generic to all models so it maynot be 100% and things change through the years . and Lord help what the other owners have done LOL
I'll try to get you a picture of my fuel mani. Its 6 valves, and its wicked bad news to try to understand if you're bad with fluid mechanics. ;)

I have to send a pic of my doc# to the Park Commission here or they have threatened to ticket me for no reg, so since its in the same place I'll do it at the same time.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The Trojan system diagram seems pretty simple to me . But lets see what you have
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels