Air Conditioning

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

capdenny

Air Conditioning

Post by capdenny »

Hello,

I would like some information. I have a 1986 F32 and would to put air conditioning in it and would like to know not only what size I would need but what would be the best brand to get. Thank you in advance for any information anyone can give.

capdenny,
star27@charter.net
g36
Moderate User

Re: Air Conditioning

Post by g36 »

at least 1 16k unit
your up north? probably all you need, but 1 barely gets it done in tennessee though
and i would suggest looking at mermaid units, i have purchased 2 for different boats and have had no issues with either . they give you a 5yr warranty on them nobody else comes close. also they contain standard ac parts within the control box no special boards etc. i may sound like a commercial but when your satisfied your satisfied.
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
comodave
Moderate User

Post by comodave »

I am in the process of putting an A/C in my F32. I second the recommendation about Mermaid. This is my second boat that I used Mermaid and am very happy. Several years ago, I went to the Miami boat show and shopped for A/Cs. Mermaid appears to be well made and has good support. I am putting in a 16k unit in the 32. Have not got it plumbed and ducted yet as there are other things to do first.
Trojan has been sold
1987 President 41 DC 225 Lehmans
Au Gres, Michigan
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Can anyone who has installed a unit in their F32 please provide some info/photos?

Thinking about installing something like the Mermaid 16.5kBTU unit under the galley sink .... thoughts?

Boat is on the hill getting new intakes, strainers, old transducers removed, 1 new trim tab, bottom blasted, 2 coats of epoxy and bottom paint on the bottom! :)

Happy New Year!
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Post by Reel Easy »

What model F-32 do you have? I have a Express open and the cabin layout is different. I am putting it on the starboard side under the for most settee seat. Then run ducting through the closet. Someone has pics of it being done this way. I can't remember who.
Dustin
78 F-32 Express Hard top twin 360s Abyss
1999 360 Express twin 7.4
Catawba Island, Ohio
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Reel Easy wrote:What model F-32 do you have? I have a Express open and the cabin layout is different. I am putting it on the starboard side under the for most settee seat. Then run ducting through the closet. Someone has pics of it being done this way. I can't remember who.
Might be me (F32 Sedan). A/C is under forward dinette seat - either done at the factory or by a previous owner. I lose 2 drawers of storage under that seat as a result. Ducting I have only goes in to forward starboard hanging locker - one vent out the top (for general cooling), one towards the dinette (more local cooling), and a duct without a hose attached aimed at the v-berth (to cool it a bit at night - hanging locker tends to be cooler than the rest of the cabin when A/C is running). I lose access to 70-80% of my access to the hanging locker because of the hoses - it just stores a couple of jackets and inflatable life jackets, heater and fan.

Downside of my setup is that we don't get very good cooling in the Salon area. I would like to run a hose up there but haven't found a reasonable path to run a 4" or 6" duct from the forward dinette seat up to the salon, without cutting into ribs, or running potentially dripping (condensation) venting near electrical, or further exposing lower cabin to engine room fumes. In the past I have put a fan on the galley counter or dinette table to blow the cold air up, or gone as far as to rig up a 4" vent hose and bilge blower setup to push air coming out of the A/C to the upper salon (trying to accommodate my elderly parents for a few days away).

I can re-share pics of my setup, but I would think that your southern sun will be more of a challenge to A/C than I have up here.. You need to find a way of ducting the A/C to the main salon (and let it fall to the lower cabin as needed), regardless of where you put the A/C, and keeping in mind that the A/C may need to be ignition protected if you mount it near engines / fuel tanks.