Mid cabin windshield ground

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BobCT
Active User

Mid cabin windshield ground

Post by BobCT »

I discovered this by accident last week when my windshield washer nozzle was dripping. The ring terminal you see now is new. The old one was corroded and broke in half when I wiggled it. No big deal, put a new one on while I was in there. I wasn't sure exactly what this wire was for but assumed it was the windshield ground. It's an 8 gauge wire. I exchanged emails with Todd and he thought so as well. I'm not sure where it goes though, the rest is in the ceiling going towards the Stb side. Anyone know for sure?

Here's the wierd part. When I try my starboard wiper now it's a dead short and trips the breaker. I remember having the exact same issue a few years ago where a section of the wiring in the windshield frame was causing same issue. I patched in a splice and its been fine since. It could be a coincidence but seems unlikely. Of course I had just re-installed my washer nozzles and needed to test and rotate them into position. No can do w/o the Starboard wiper working.

BTW, you can tell that water has leaked a little around this connection so worth checking under the trim piece at the base of the windshield. I'm not removing the whole windshield frame so I'll do some caulking up top.

http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/A8CT/ ... sort=3&o=0

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
koviak
Moderate User

Re: Mid cabin windshield ground

Post by koviak »

Bob, I found the same connection when I replaced my horns a few weeks ago. Assuming it grounds to the DC side as the wire is white but not sure, I can not find it on the electrical schematic. My washer nozzles are not leaking but read good advice about avoiding it and put a shut off valve in line at galley area (behind the waste can).
Looking at your pics I like what you did with the microwave enclosure, good use of space.
Dennis
1989 10 Meter Mid-Cabin
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Dennis - thanks, I'm happy with how that came out and love smaller microwave (door mostly).

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

A quick update for future searches:

Weird coincidence but my wiper short had nothing to do with the windshield ground. A few days before I replaced this ring terminal, I moved the bracket for my Bimini and the screw went into the windshield washer wire creating the short.

Anyway, for you mid cabin guys it's worth removing the ceiling access plate to check for leaks and also check this connection. Mine was corroded and 80% broken so I don't know if it would have done any good grounding the windshield frame in the event of a lightning strike.

Bob

- just checked the link and it looks like I deleted the pic of the connector. It's pretty obvious when you remove the panel.
1988 10m mid cabin
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Lots of wires running through that windshield frame.

THANKS Bob
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

You got that right! I sure wish they mounted the windshield wipers down at the base of the windshield like other boats. That would have helped cut down the wiring mess inside the frame and visibility too...
1988 10m mid cabin
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

NOTE TO ALL:

It is a GOOD PRACTICE to run a heavy bonding wire from the windshield frame to the common ground/bonding system.

The factory ground is lightweight and prone to corrosion.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED