Crusader/Mando alternator warning

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BobCT
Active User

Crusader/Mando alternator warning

Post by BobCT »

I replaced my port alternator last year and noticed that the bracket which holds the RF filter was broken. It was broken on the Stb side too but I didn't give it much thought because it's still secured by the wiring. It looks like the bracket just breaks from fatigue and corrosion over the years.

I'm in the engine room flushing the Stb side (still original) and the broken part is sparking like crazy between the body of the alternator! Who knows how long it's been like that... I'm sure it was doing it while underway the same day.

If you still have these alternators, take a look and either secure or remove the filter. I don't think it's really needed and believe it's just a noise filter for FM. The part in question looks sort of like a AA battery with a yellow wire attached. You can easily see it on the Stb engine, port side will be a little harder. One caveat... this was the symptom and my assumption is that the filter was the root cause. If something else failed internally, maybe it's not and the broken bracket(s) are just a coincidence. I have a new alternator coming tomorrow.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin