Window shade color thoughts

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

mikeandanne
Moderate User

Window shade color thoughts

Post by mikeandanne »

We are finding the inside salon area of our f32 with that huge front window quite warm to say the least--- are there any window covers that are better than others?--- we currently have a black cover on the boat,would another color or material work better----- thoughts anyone???---- Mike
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Re: Window shade color thoughts

Post by Away On Busine$$ »

We have all black canvas, which includes a black bra that covers the front window area and partial sides. We really don't have any issue other than the heat from the engine bay if we have been travelling. If we shut down 4 hours before bed time really not a problem.
Season is short, we make the best of it.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

If you want to keep the heat out White is the way to go .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

prowlersfish wrote:If you want to keep the heat out White is the way to go .

I can feel the heat radiate off the inside of the front windows with the black cover on, keeps the air on full--- I guess it is fairly hot where you are, is that sunbrella I can see on your avatar?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

No its Stamoid ( vinyl coated woven polyester) . There is a big difrence with the cover on vs off . Sunbrella should do a good job also .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
BlueBelle

Post by BlueBelle »

We tinted all of the windows including the windshield. Made a huge difference. We still use a bra on the 'shield.
1986 Trojan 11M w/ twin JT671TI
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

i had all black canvas side windows dark tinted and black sunbrella windsheild cover but in the summer sun and to let the light come through and keep a good bit of the heat out i made a window cover from phifertex plus white.
really makes a big difference and also doesnt make the boat a cave

http://www.sailrite.com/Phifertex-PLUS- ... ite-000-54
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Mike,

We have black up here... The one that let's light thru' and not the heat. Of course being black it lets too much heat in.
First we put beach towels underneath it and that made a big difference.
Since then we bought 4 auto sunshades and put them between bra and glass, silver side out..... That has made a really big difference, of course now we get no light in thru' the windshield but on these long Summer days we don't miss it.

On the boat down South we have white windshield covers as they are more effective at keeping heat out.
My buddy's F32 has white covers which works for his look that has no bridge or cabin roof blach striping.... I stayed black as I like the hull & bridge striping on the F32.

Anchored behind Wilcox Island, Spider Bay, all over Georgian Bay for the Summer!
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

I made a front window cover for our F-32 and it was night and day with heat inside the salon. At that particular point in the F-32 rebuild project, I was just wanting to cut down the heat but not spend a fortune on canvas work, more specifically Phifertex, which runs about 23.00 a yard locally.

I bought a roll of heavy red resin paper and made a template of the front windshield and the triangle corners of the front side sections of glass, I then bought a 25' roll of black sun shade material at home depot (5 year warranty) and cut and sewed the front windscreen, you can see through it, it looked great and cut the heat dramatically.

1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Thanks for the responses guys----- gotta like the black but I like the cool better as I get older---- maybe I have a white mesh type made with double snaps so the original cover could go on in the fall in cooler weather--wish I could sew---- Thinking maybe the white or biege looks good even with the stripes, which are on our boat--- need something for cockpit cover too, maybe time to start color change anyway----gonna talk to canvas guy on wknd and see about that phifertex--- Mike

Getaway--- I see you got the Trojan flag in each of those pics.
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

:D
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I am trying not to start new ones on similar subjects...

I am looking for a way to treat the windows to cut back on heat as well as protect the salon and galley from further UV damage. My F32 is a hard-top, and my primary use is fishing and therefore I am often leaving and returning in the dark. So having the ability to see all around, in the dark, from the lower helm is vital.

I think tinting it out of the question....

The side and back windows seem like a no brainer. I can get the job done with horizontal blinds on the sides and vertical blinds on the back glass. Even a pull-down window shade will work. I have also been thinking of one of those mylar reflective UV shades.

The front windshield presents the biggest challenge. I front wrap seems to be the best idea, but the downside is that I have to remove it and install it every time I run. I am curious to know what other ideas are out there.
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

bjanakos wrote:The front windshield presents the biggest challenge. I front wrap seems to be the best idea, but the downside is that I have to remove it and install it every time I run. I am curious to know what other ideas are out there.
Why not a canvas cover (white not black) over all windows? I would expect that to be the best to keep heat out. They are easy to put on and off when that is a frequent activity along with a little snap lube.
Aft door will require a different treatment, tinting would work there along with a shade like this: Image
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

I'm not adverse to the canvas on the front windshield and I have already mentioned this it is probably my best choice. It's expensive however; I had a quote of $800 to do my previous boat and it was a 28'. I like gettaway's approach... And it seems cost effective.

The rear shade is a no go as it will interfere with fishing operations. But I plan on either vertical blinds or regular old draperies. My boat will face the east when im in my slip, so the front is the priority. The afternoon light is pretty well shaded from the land.
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Still considering the front window wrap/bra idea. I am curious how to handle the snaps... I'm a bit reluctant to drill into the window frame knowing there is glass in there somewhere. Also, what is best to seal it? Silicone? 5200? or Butyl tape?