Need some advice on varnishing

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BlueBelle

Re: Need some advice on varnishing

Post by BlueBelle »

I applied three coats of west epoxy in my galley with the 107 hardener. You can apply three coats 3 hours apart and forego the amine blush issue. I applied 5 coats of gloss epiphanes and topped it off with a final coat of Epiphanes Rubbed effect. In the salon I did not use the epoxy base coats, with good results.

1986 Trojan 11M w/ twin JT671TI
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Thanks again everyone! Todd, i"m very familiar with amine blush from alot of epoxy primers we use at work as well as the epoxy used during my renovation. at least it can be pretty easily removed. Doug, I have never seen that sealer before, looks like it would do the trick, thanks. Bluebelle, thanks for breakdown on the application, Yours looks great!
I picked up some Epifanes clear gloss and rubbed effect today. I keep leaning towards the epoxy as ive grown very found of it during my renovation and have basically encapsulated every piece of wood that ive installed so far. Think im going to test the epoxy and interlux on a few scrap pieces to see what looks better after its applied by "me"! :shock:

I'll post some pics of the progress!

Thanks Everyone!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Thought I'd post an update. I decided to go with 207 as a sealer since i had some get on the veneer when I was using it to seal the back of the panel. I put two coats on in one day then waited 2 days, sanded and applied a third coat. no sign of any blush using the 207. I had alittle from the slow hardener on the back of the panel which i scrubbed off before gluing it to the interior with thickened epoxy. i read a few places online of people having problems with the varnish drying when applied over epoxy that was only a few days old. they recommended waiting a couple of weeks before applying the varnish. Bluebelle, how long did you wait before applying your varnish? two weeks seems odd to me?
thanks again for all of the help everyone.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console