f26 electrical

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

trojanmanXSagain

f26 electrical

Post by trojanmanXSagain »

Hi guys/gals ? quick question I purchased all the outlets/boxes/wiring and misc stuff to start the rewiring of the boat. I plan on having a total of 7 outlets on this boat , not all will be drawing at once but question is can I utilize the electrical panel as is or do I need to add breakers? are these breakers from 1979 able to be found ? thanks for any input
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: f26 electrical

Post by prowlersfish »

That would depend on the expected load on the circuit . How many breakers do you have and what are the amps ? What do you plan on plugging in ?

to give you a idea of power draw

a 1500 watt hair drier is 12 amps , same for a microwave . So you would not want them on the same 15 amp circuit . A stove or water heater would be a high load

Remember your total load limit is 30 amps and all loads should go through your main breaker ( 30 amp) first .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

You can have 100 outlets on one breaker but as soon as you reach that breaker's trip spec it will trip! If you only have 2 breakers available for example, you need to give some thought to which ones are likely not to be used at the same time as others and the loads you epect to place on each one. It's pretty common to have high load use around the galley so you may want to keep those on their own breakers. If a hair dryer is used in the head, it can be on its own or simply excersize some power management and don't use any of the other loads on that circuit while the dryer is being used. Need to give it some thought and think about what you'll be using, which ones are likely to be used at the same time, and how much current they will draw if they are. More breakers is better.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
vabeach1234
Moderate User

Post by vabeach1234 »

My 1972 F26 has 3 breakers. One 15 amp for starboard and one for port. The third (20 amp) was originally for the electric 2-burner cook top in the galley. I have since removed the cook top and used that breaker for the air condition. I have a total of 5 outlets on mine. Oh, the microwave and fridge are on the starboard side breaker. Haven't had a problem with this set up. The boat has the original panel too.
Ken
1972 Trojan F26 Express
1985 Dell Quay Dory 13
Hampton, VA
http://s853.photobucket.com/user/vabeac ... ojan%20F26
trojanmanXSagain

thanks a lot for the input. I just went down and grabbed a few things I left off the list. now as for the breakers themselves can you still get this type that was original to this boat?
As I see there is room to add more breakers but unknown if these are a special type? thanks again
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Make sure you use a good grade marine rated wire of the correct gauge. Other wire like what you use at on a house will not hold up to the marine environment or vibration of a boat .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

You maybe able to get the # off the breakers you have now to find what you need . You may also be able to get them from Beacon marine .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
trojanmanXSagain

Well Sunday noon and just finished the house wiring in the boat. hindsight I might have planned this part of the rebuild prior to completing the interior. Most of the chasing went ok but one outlet I installed high on the port side of the anchor locker was a pain to wire. chased the line inside by the rubrail and then fished through the front headliner into the anchor locker. One thing that did help was leaving the headliner off under the port and starboard side widows. Left these off as I still have to pull all the deck hardware off and reseal as well as change some plywood blocking that couldn't stand the 33 yr mark.
Now this is done and have since installed the surround sound and hooked up to the tv. Yep tv /stereo before any hint of an engine :D
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Got the priority's in order I see :wink:
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
AndyF32
Sporadic User

Post by AndyF32 »

Don't forget to protect each circuit with a ground fault device. If you are using an outlet to do this the hospital grade ones usually only found at an electrical supplier are a lot more durable.