Removing the lower helm from an f32

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Cmount
Sporadic User

Removing the lower helm from an f32

Post by Cmount »

So, while we sat there drinking lots of cocktails one day last week, my drinking buddy had an idea to remove the lower helm and clean up the look of the salon. Now in my F32, the previous owner put in hydraulic steering and only hooked up the bridge. And I will only navigate from up there, so I would look to keep the instruments and controls, but remove the big white housing, and of course the wheel.

It would really change the look.

Has anyone ever done this? Any thoughts as to downfalls? Again, I will be able to run from below with the throttles and gearshifters, and all the gauges will remain, but will be reconfigured to streamline the look.

Any input is welcome, weather you think I'm nuts and should stop drinking, or if you think it could work. I really like the idea, since even in the worst storm, running from below is not an option for me.

Thanks
1987 Jersey Dawn
"The Other Woman II"
rmatt

Re: Removing the lower helm from an f32

Post by rmatt »

I had a 1978 F32 that I removed the lower station. I took all out except the gauges and switches. I did not leave the shift and throttle controls. If I remember correctly the gauges were mounted in a black plastic panel which I kept intact. When the fiberglass helm comes out there is room below in the vertical area above the battery switch and breaker panel to mount the gauges. You will have to put a couple pieces of wood in to support the gauge panel and make a fold down panel to cover the gauges. I made the panel frame from teak 3/4x2 and put a piece of smoked plexiglass in the frame. The amount of room you will gain is significant.I never felt as I needed the shift and throttle but being able to start the engines without going to the bridge was great especially when winterizing was done. I disconnected the throttle linkage when I needed to work on the engines and needed the use the throttle. Do it,you will be glad you did.
Bob
1986 Hatteras 36 Sedan
Cat 3208T

1978 Trojan F32
Chrysler 360
Cmount
Sporadic User

Post by Cmount »

Thanks...project begins right after the holiday. I will send progress photos.
1987 Jersey Dawn
"The Other Woman II"
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

It has been done by some others also . I have thought about it also . I only use the lower helm when working on the engines
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

I use my lower helm often, I think it was actually added from a older model, I would never want to remove it and probably wouldn't purchase one without it, mines a 73 and my friends 80 has no lower and I don't think he gains any much room, it has a radio and some storage instead
rmatt

Post by rmatt »

You don't have the same lower station as the later F32's. The lower station consist of a fairly large fiberglass unit bolted to the bulkhead. Without it much room is gained. My experience with the F32 with the station is that the vessel cannot be operated safely at speed because of lack of visibility. In slow speed, yes it can be used. Can't see for docking. Took mine out and have been very happy without it. I guess it's all about what works for you. Different strokes so to speak.
Bob
Bob
1986 Hatteras 36 Sedan
Cat 3208T

1978 Trojan F32
Chrysler 360
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

K4282 wrote:I use my lower helm often, I think it was actually added from a older model, I would never want to remove it and probably wouldn't purchase one without it, mines a 73 and my friends 80 has no lower and I don't think he gains any much room, it has a radio and some storage instead
That station looks a lot like what my father's '69 had, with the exception that the wood on dad's was covered with green vinyl, the wheel was a wood spoke wheel (that I now have on my F32), and his 28' was single engine.
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

captainmaniac wrote:That station looks a lot like what my father's '69 had......
Agreed. It looks about 1970 vintage to me as well. Maybe out of a wood decked 30 express.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Perhaps being a early F32 the where using up the older helms
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

I can't upload a PDF page for some reason but here is a cut and paste from the book I am dragging my feet on. I'm getting there but it's a slow process. Anyway, the cockpit photo is from 1973 and it shows the factory helm on a F32 Sportfisherman so yours was modified sometime in its life.

Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

summer storm , I also have looked but the could have changed mid year or a 72 build year 73/ model . Or as you say could have been a add on later . the early lower glass helm where ugly IMO his looks better .

I can not find a photo of a 1972 F32 helm .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

I believe its a older helm, everything works, I believe it was added as the cut is unprofessional near the steering and theirs no rear facia covering some of the back, I'm going to make one as well as sand and cetol the wood this year...love love love having it there, like I said I use it constantly and is a selling point, my pictures are posting off center, ill see what else I have to share
Last edited by K4282 on Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Very true it is a selling point .Every one wants a lower helm till they have one :wink:

If I did not have a full enclosure there have been a few times I may have used mine . But i don't remember using the lower helm on my Owens w/a open fly bridge
Last edited by prowlersfish on Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Looks like it's off a woodie, I have the same one in mine.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Cmount
Sporadic User

Post by Cmount »

If anyone has any pictures of a 76 to 79 vintage that they remove the helm I would appreciate it. My plan is to take mine out since I do not drive from below
1987 Jersey Dawn
"The Other Woman II"