Removing the lower helm from an f32

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Cmount
Sporadic User

Removing the lower helm from an f32

Post by Cmount »

So, while we sat there drinking lots of cocktails one day last week, my drinking buddy had an idea to remove the lower helm and clean up the look of the salon. Now in my F32, the previous owner put in hydraulic steering and only hooked up the bridge. And I will only navigate from up there, so I would look to keep the instruments and controls, but remove the big white housing, and of course the wheel.

It would really change the look.

Has anyone ever done this? Any thoughts as to downfalls? Again, I will be able to run from below with the throttles and gearshifters, and all the gauges will remain, but will be reconfigured to streamline the look.

Any input is welcome, weather you think I'm nuts and should stop drinking, or if you think it could work. I really like the idea, since even in the worst storm, running from below is not an option for me.

Thanks
1987 Jersey Dawn
"The Other Woman II"
BarryL
Sporadic User

Re: Removing the lower helm from an f32

Post by BarryL »

Why Not remove the wheel and streamline everything?

You can always throttle steer in a pinch as long as the rudder is amidships. When I am docking or in close quarters I rarely touch the wheel and use only shifts and small throttle adjustments to put my 10 meter wherever I want it to be. Takes a little practice and patience but it can be done.

Barry
I love my boat! It takes all of my money and doesn't bitch.
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

removing the lower helm was a project I didnt complete on our F-32, but always wanted to, I only used the entire lower helm assembly to cross check the old declo gauges, and when I repowered and installed new gauges, the lower helm became non relevant. I never piloted from below, and the wheel was always in the way. I say go for it!
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
Eddie-O

Post by Eddie-O »

Gettaway do you still have the old guages i have a bad temp.
Thanks Eddie-O
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

Eddie-O I don't sorry
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott