another winterizing question

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

dfg4240
Sporadic User

another winterizing question

Post by dfg4240 »

bringing my boat from seneca lake to the mouth of the genesee river where it meets Lake Ontario.
I know there are 13 locks from seneca lake to the oswego outlet and then a 55 mile trip on lake ontario .
They want to haul it out right away on tuesday- No room yet at the Marina. I'm leaving sunday and it is a two day trip.
I will winterize the generator and the air conditioner and change the oil and oil filters as well as the gas filters.If I let Shumway do it it is $325 an engine and just to winterize and fog the engine is $185 each. The engines will be warm when I get there so IF I drain the engines and exhaust of water and then put the plugs back in and take the raw water input and put it in a 5 gal bucket of antifreeze and run it until it shoots out pink in the exhaust then the engine is winterized. Right. I know I still have to fog the engine as I am doing it I read where I should pull the impeller.What one are they talking about-the raw water pump? also does the head have it's own water or when I turn on both faucets and run until they run dry so I can run some antifreeze in the line does it take out all the water except for the head. I am having them do the head.
thanks for putting up with me.
I bought this boat--1978 F36 in the spring and unless the engines go I am never going to sell it. Some have told me not to put money into it because it is so old but what the heck. I paid $2100 for a week at a cottage and I looked at several that were $4000 and up. I will be looking for tips on painting and waxing when the time comes-I know Shumway said they can make the boat look like it just came from the factory. $$$$$$$$$$.
Wish me luck-
dfg4240
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Re: another winterizing question

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

It's a nice trip. Hopefully the weather holds up for you. Are you planning on winterizing the engines when it is out of the water? It makes it a bit easier, but your plan sounds good. Make sure you have plenty of antifreeze on hand, as it will take about 5 gallons per motor. Change your oil right before you have it pulled. Make sure you treat your fuel with Stabil or similar and run in long enough to pull it through the carbs. The impellers they are talking about are the raw water side. They should be changed if it hasn't been done in a season or two. Its good insurance, and you can change them when its out of the water.

There should be one freshwater tank on board. Drain the water tank of water, Put a couple of gallons of antifreeze into the tank, and open ALL of your water fixtures until you see pink. This includes your toilet.

Make sure your holding tank is empty and throw some antifreeze in it.

You gotta love winter in the Northeast.

Good luck up in the River. I'm on the Bay, and would be happy to stop down any help you with any issues.

Todd
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
BarryL
Sporadic User

Post by BarryL »

You can save a few gallons of anti freeze by draining your hot water heater before adding anti freeze to the fresh water tank. If you have a ice Maker be sure to disconnect the water supply and run to you see pink as well.

I do y engines the same way you do. I prearrange a Monday morning haul out and the leave the travel lift well open on the night before. I show up before dark with warm engines (open thermostats) and disconnect the raw water intakes from the sea cocks and run 5-6 gallons of the pink stuff through and call them winterized. Been doing that sine 2000 and no freeze damage yet.
'
I run the stabil into the tanks the trip before haul out so I can be confident it gets to the cards etc... Change the oil at least one trip prior to haul out so you don't have a lot of carbon build up eating away at your oil pans and change the fuel filters/separators at the same time. You can easily save 400-5-- if you are willing to do some of the winterizing on your own.

For the AC/Heat I disconnect the sea strainer and using a funnel run the air till the overboard discharge is solid pink. Usually only a gallon or two as long as you have someone to watch the discharge.

Don't forget to open all sea cocks and drain strainers once the boat is out of the water and leave the bottom plug out all winter to let any rain or storm water drain out that gets past the shrink wrap. Disconnect the batteries when you are done and take em home and put em in the garage and trickle charge them a few times during the winter.

Good luck on your trip north. It sounds like fun.

Barry
I love my boat! It takes all of my money and doesn't bitch.
dfg4240
Sporadic User

Post by dfg4240 »

thanks a lot guys.
I appreciate it-I think I have it down pat but I am making a list just to be sure and hope I don't run into a weather problem. I could always lay up at port bay or fair haven or even sodus if anything gets wild but I don't think it will on this 36' boat. They still have no slips available where I can lay up so she will get pulled as soon as I winterize. I have a guy who does shrink wrapping ready as soon as I clean the boat up
dfg4240
fpawn

Post by fpawn »

I ended up putting flushing valves on the raw water intake hoses on both engines and gem. It makes it is a lot easier to hook hose up to flush engines and than switch to fill up to anti freeze. Well worth the small investment