possible engine replacement

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

summer storm
Moderate User

Re: possible engine replacement

Post by summer storm »

prowlersfish wrote:Many have done the swap and never heard of a issue , I have never notice a offset as the shaft always came out centered to the keel . Anyone else run into this ?
I have heard of this but I have never run into a problem. Both my old 26 and my current 28 Chris Craft have been repowered with opposite rotation engines and besides backing to starboard (instead of port) I can't tell the difference. I think a inch or two of offset at the front of the motor would translate to 4-5 inches at the strut, and my strut is dead center. Maybe there is a offset, but I can tell you from current experience, it's not a problem.
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
32pacemaker

Post by 32pacemaker »

the engine is off set a inch or two the strut remains center on my 1975 f26 the engine is closer to the port engine stringer than the starboard engine stringer my 1978 chris craft 22 cutlass was the same way, this is done to help single engine boats steer better. So with out measuring to see if the stringers are in the right place I looked at the motor mounts and see if the engine is offset. could be that every single engine boat is not this way............
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

32pacemaker wrote:the engine is off set a inch or two the strut remains center on my 1975 f26 the engine is closer to the port engine stringer than the starboard engine stringer my 1978 chris craft 22 cutlass was the same way, this is done to help single engine boats steer better. So with out measuring to see if the stringers are in the right place I looked at the motor mounts and see if the engine is offset. could be that every single engine boat is not this way............

I did a quick search and the quick answer is some builders did it and some didn't . Next time I'm on my Chris Craft I am going to look to see if mine is.
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

32pacemaker wrote:the engine is off set a inch or two the strut remains center on my 1975 f26 the engine is closer to the port engine stringer than the starboard engine stringer my 1978 chris craft 22 cutlass was the same way, this is done to help single engine boats steer better. So with out measuring to see if the stringers are in the right place I looked at the motor mounts and see if the engine is offset. could be that every single engine boat is not this way............

I did a quick search and the quick answer is some builders did it and some didn't . Next time I'm on my Chris Craft I am going to look to see if mine is.
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)