wash down pump wiring??

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

fpawn

wash down pump wiring??

Post by fpawn »

I was thinking of installing a salt water wash down pump. I was wondering if I could use the same circuit as my fresh water pump--jump it off the existing pump. I was thinking would not use both pumps at the same time. Am I nuts or not??
srokag44
Sporadic User

Re: wash down pump wiring??

Post by srokag44 »

I would advise against that. I had done exactly that briefly and out on the water one of the washdown hose fittings broke. That meant I couldn't turn on the freshwater pump without spraying saltwater all over the bilge. My fix on the water was to snip the washdown pump wires and when I got back to dock I correctly wired it to its own breaker. If you do want to wire them to a single breaker on your panel, I would advise putting a separate switch or breaker in the washdown wiring.
1985 Trojan 10 Meter International Sedan
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

No no no!
It's one thing to put it on the same circuit which I would recommend against, it's another thing to "jump it off the existing pump" You'd have to be really carefull with the amount of current the additional pump draws versus the existing one, and how it will affect the wiring given that you're increasing the length of the circuit whether you use the wash-down pump alone or not.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Don't see why a double-pole double throw switch wouldn't be your friend here. Keeps you from using both at the same time. That said, perform your wire sizing calcs as was stated.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I would give its own circuit . I would not want to turn off the fresh water just to used the wash down . Guests on board may need the fresh water at the same time .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

prowlersfish wrote:I would give its own circuit . I would not want to turn off the fresh water just to used the wash down . Guests on board may need the fresh water at the same time .
And I hate it when a guest say something like "um, the sink doesn't work" when I'm docking the boat.
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

And when you show the guest what a human fender is .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D