Need a Litte Personal Advice - Move a 1990 F32?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bigralph

Need a Litte Personal Advice - Move a 1990 F32?

Post by bigralph »

Good Morning:

BLUF: I have a F32 I paid $21K for in March. I'm expecting a reloation package to cover my expenses to move. Brothers Marine from Nashville area quoted me $9k to move the boat from Norfolk to Memphis. That is almost half the value. Looking for opinions whether I should move her or sell her at a bargain price and use the moving cost to offset my loss.

BACKGROUND:
I've been a member of this forum a meager 4 months and haven't even paid some dues yet. Now, I find myself coming up to a Trojan crossroads. I am expecting a job offer today that will relocate me from the Chesapeake Bay (Norfolk, VA) to the mighty Mississippi (Memphis, TN). So, here's my situation.

Invictus is a 1990 F32 with twin Crusader 350's. Before I bought her, the PO had to have the carbs rebuilt. I spent $21K to buy her and I've sunk around $7K in, to include an incredible stereo system (best in my marina), some creature comforts for the live-aboard, a great windlass I haven't installed. Unfortunately, the 200 gal of gas I put in her in Mar to buy her is pretty much all still there. The genset now works and I've ran it every week. I've started the main engines every week and moved her twice, but every time I start the engine then shut them down, about 20 minutes later gas runs out of the engine block into the bilge. I think I need to spend $100 on two filters/filter cans and the gas leak will go away. Regardless, she still has issues and gremlins I haven't found. Let's see, I've also rebuilt the reservoir line on the helm and learned how to bleed hydraulic fluid - oh lots of things. The port trim tab solenoid doesn't make any noise when the switch is engaged; I'm suspecting the switch but haven't fully troubleshot yet. The hull is in good shape. I've had divers clean it a few times. There was one small blister on my marine inspection. The zincs were in good shape. The risers on the mains look new, one isn't painted. Overall, solid boat. Surveryor put the value at $33k.

This boat spent a few years in Fl and the last say 4 or 5 in the Chesapeake. I've heard lots of anectodal stories that brackish/salt water boats put in fresh water sometimes develop issues.

So, what do you think? Do I move her or do I sell her at a cut rate price and look for a new boat. I know the problems and like her a lot. She's my home and I'd like to get her up on a plane and running shipshape, but am I setting myself up for even more problems?

Thanks for your advice.
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Re: Need a Litte Personal Advice - Move a 1990 F32?

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

Sounds like you are already leaning toward selling. Unless you are attached to this particular boat, you may be able to find another deal closer to your future home. With that, all old boats will have ongoing issues, just like old homes. If its a boat you absolutely love and invested your blood, sweat, and tears into and can't imagine parting with, you are probably better off selling. Of course, I don't know what the market for that boat is in your area. It may take a bit to sell it.

Good luck
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
BarryL
Sporadic User

Post by BarryL »

My brother recently had the same dilemma.

He has a 33 Cruisers that he has had almost since new on Lake mead. He was moving back to the Chicago area and couldn't decide to transport or sell and start over. (he has a 10 yr history with his boat) Ultimately he decided to transport the boat for a few reasons. His familiarity with the boat he had for so long and the fact that the company he worked for was willing to "reimburse" him for actual transportation expenses but they would not give him the cash to replace the boat if he did not move it. The reimbursed expenses had to be actual not hypothetical. That made his decision for him and he still has the boat here in Chicago area.

Good luck with your decision. I think your gut will lead you on this one. Do you love the layout? the lines? the way she looks in the water? If so then you have answered your own questions. If not maybe it's time to move on or at least survey the value where you are now and what is available where you are going. I would also get a few estimates for the transportation costs because my brothers ran from $7,500 to $14,000 on the transporters trailer from Lake Mead to northeastern Illinois.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Barry
I love my boat! It takes all of my money and doesn't bitch.
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

bigralph wrote: but every time I start the engine then shut them down, about 20 minutes later gas runs out of the engine block into the bilge. I think I need to spend $100 on two filters/filter cans and the gas leak will go away.
Fix the fuel problem before you decide to do anything, if you sell it, and this happens during survey, the surveyor will freak... plus, you don't want to be the boat that blows up in the marina :shock:

I would check the anti siphon valves first, they are there to help prevent this issue

my advice, if the company will move the boat, and you love it, move it. a 1990 is a pretty new old Trojan
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

First I agree with Gettaway, fixing the gas leak should be number one on the list. second, if I read this right you use this boat as your home, so without it you will need to find a temp place to rent while you shop for a new boat. Is that right?

So, if you put your boat up for sale you will need to-

1. pay for dockage/storage until it sells, which could take 6 months or more

2. hire a broker to show the boat

3. pay for rent until you find a new boat and move it to your location.

4. you still have to buy a new boat to live on.

5. you could be a two boat owner for a while with double the costs that come with it.

If you keep it and the company pays for most of the moving costs it sounds like a no brainer to me, take your home with you.

As far as shipping, remember you need to take the flybridge and railing off and put it back on. Pay for a haul at one end and launch at the other and empty the fuel tanks ( I think) and most times remove the props. One more thing, moving expenses are tax deductible if you are moving for a job.
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Moved my F28 from Cleveland, oh to North Texas, cost $3000. About 1100 miles. advertised the move on Ushipit.com. I had very good luck with the move, others may not like Ushipit.com but my two uses have been a plus. :D
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
1967 seavoyager
Moderate User

Post by 1967 seavoyager »

Try www.lockviewmarina.com They're the best.
They'll pry a rotten plank from my cold dead fingers before i go "Tupperware". http://www.photobucket.com/restless
seavoyager36@hotmail.com

"Restless"
1967 Trojan 36' Sea Voyager Express
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

I had my 32 hauled from Panama City beach, FL to Colonial Beach, VA for $2,400.00 from these folks. Great customer service, friendly and they know how to transfer a boat.
Keep in mind that I removed the top, console and got here ready to be loaded up.
Give them a call. 9K to transport is $$$$! And don't, don't, don't use a shipping broker to find a hauler for you!!!

http://www.deepwatertransport.com/
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

gettaway wrote:
bigralph wrote: but every time I start the engine then shut them down, about 20 minutes later gas runs out of the engine block into the bilge. I think I need to spend $100 on two filters/filter cans and the gas leak will go away.
Fix the fuel problem before you decide to do anything, if you sell it, and this happens during survey, the surveyor will freak... plus, you don't want to be the boat that blows up in the marina :shock:

I would check the anti siphon valves first, they are there to help prevent this issue

my advice, if the company will move the boat, and you love it, move it. a 1990 is a pretty new old Trojan
Agreed !

If your company pays to move it then I would think about it , But if you sell it cheap don't expect them to give you the money for moving it when you didn't.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
bigralph

Post by bigralph »

Thanks for all the great input. As of this moment, I'm still WAITING on my stinking offer. So, I haven't made a decision. Yes, I am frustrated about the waitng part, but it's good to be wanted in this economy.

Anwyay, anti-siphon valve? I literally saw gas leaking out of the can on the fuel filter, just jumped to conclusion where there was a drip there was an explosion -er a problem.

Thanks again for the great input. Again, with the exception of never having had this thing on a plane, never fishing off of it, never being at anchor, and not sure I've found ALL the problems yet, I love my boat. She is awesome to live aboard and she looks sexy in the water. (that just sounded odd)
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

Leaking out of the can on the filter?

this almost sound as if you have a gasket or o ring issue with either canister filter or the spin on filters, either way, the anti siphon valve should stop the flow of fuel once the vacuum of the fuel pump stops.

best of luck on your decision,
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

That leak needs to be fixed for sure and the anti siphon valve should be check also . hopefully its just the seal but the can could be rusted .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
bigralph

Post by bigralph »

Here's the part that leaks and needs replaced. This part is obsolete and I have to replace the head as well. Total cost is $25/engine.

Part 54 here http://www.marinepartssource.com/crusaderpb/305cp17.asp

Replacement part is ordered here http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/p/CRU97889 which led to http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/p/BPI24950/ that is on order and on it's way to me.

Where is the antisiphon valve?
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

I take it you have crusader engines and this engine filter on the back of the engine, Have you tried just replacing the element ? they are available
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
bigralph

Post by bigralph »

The observed leak is at the top of the can where the o-ring or gasket deteriorated. I could just replace the element, but one of the cans, port if I recall correctly, is dented and looks really bad. The original owners manual suggests replacement if the can is deteriorated. So, I'm replacing the head too.