canvas

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

trojanmanXSagain

canvas

Post by trojanmanXSagain »

is it just me or do canvas guys production run thicker then molasses in feb.? On guy two as first took over a year before I just pulled the plug. Now guy number two who has 60% $ down and has missed two appointments with my boat. what ever to standing by your word ? then even if something happens at the very least a phone call? ok done venting and wishing I could run my business this relaxed
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: canvas

Post by captainmaniac »

This should be in pet peeves! I have yet to find a reliable, trustworthy, respectable canvas guy. But then again I have only been looking for 35 years.

I have seen some who take 2+ years to get a job done, and some who just do crappy jobs. I had one guy (18 years ago) make a tonneau cover for my go-fast where I said very specifically "NO VENTS" (the cover would sit so flat that vents would allow rain water in if the wind was coming from most directions). When I picked up the cover, it had vents.

His argument - "Vents are better".
My argument - "I said NO".

His response - "I will give you $50 off".
My response - "FU - make me a new one or I'm not paying a dime".

His response - "We can remove the vents and sew patches over top"
My response - "No. I don't want a cover that is patched from day 1 - make one the way I told you I wanted it made".

His response - 'Well, if that's the way you feel I am going to your boat and ripping the cover off RIGHT NOW'.
My response - "No need. It's in the car. I will go get it for you!"

He made me a new one. Fit like crap. Haven't dealt with him since, but HAVE told the story to anyone and everyone else I knew who was looking for someone to do canvas work. Don't know how many people have stayed away from him over the past 18 years as a result... but he deserves it.
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

I guess I got lucky with my canvass guy. He does awesome work on time and at a very fair price. Any Lake Ontario folks on the NY side should consider Igor at Best Canvass in Wolcott. Great customer service too.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

I remember seeing an episode ow Powerboat Television that featured a company in the Toronto area that would come out to your boat, take accurate measurements and develop a CAD model of the boat top and frame for your review and approval. The material would then be cut and the tubes be bent using CNC technology so the top would match the CAD model exactly.

This is pretty cool but also probably fairly expensive.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
trojanmanXSagain

sounds like those boys are doing it right . As for price I know EVERYTHING marine carries its own overpriced tag but like we all also know, if we want it were gonna buy it , if someone were in this area and had canvas skills they could make a killing just by merely meeting a deadline that both parties agreed to. My update , guy showed up at 7am this morning had both side curtains made but needed to be hemmed up on bottom , then he measured for the back enclose and left to go take care of it . He said it would be finished today , we'll see and get pics if it happens
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Most the canvas guys in my area are ok But being on time is not their strong points . The one I use is good and works hard to get it done as promised .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
trojanmanXSagain

ok he came by and got it 99% still have to stitch in a zipper on the back panel for the doorway but in all it looks pretty good. I utubed it as most of you know I cant post pics worth a sh*t on here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDX-8k9N ... e=youtu.be
gdcardoza

Post by gdcardoza »

Paul wrote:I remember seeing an episode ow Powerboat Television that featured a company in the Toronto area that would come out to your boat, take accurate measurements and develop a CAD model of the boat top and frame for your review and approval. The material would then be cut and the tubes be bent using CNC technology so the top would match the CAD model exactly.

This is pretty cool but also probably fairly expensive.
I had a dealing with these guys when I was getting quotes... They're called JT's Top Shop and they're in midland, ontario. Regardless of their "fancy" computer system, they still wanted me to bring my boat to them..... Stupid if you ask me
Graham D. Cardoza
President
Overboard Marine Services Ltd