Air Cond. location

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

9mtrojan

Air Cond. location

Post by 9mtrojan »

Hi All,
Hope everybody is having a GREAT 2013 season. For me, still fixing up from the Sandy Storm. But with her layed up I was thinking of installing an air cond unit. She is a 9m trojan and was wondering if any body can tell me where the AC unit mint be placed. I know I have room on the port side aft cabin but I am also worried about the weight of the unit. Don't want to make her lean to port because of the extra weight. Any and all advise will be appreciated. Thanks Paul :)
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Air Cond. location

Post by prowlersfish »

I don't know much about the 9M ( not many on the site) but if you found a area that would work for the A/C but are worried about the boat leaning put 2 5gals buckets of water there and see how the boat sits . You can always shift other stuff around .

Will the A/C mounted aft cool the rest of the cabin ? outlet placement would be a factor and cabin fans could always help .

Sorry I can't be more help .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Bajan's Gal

Post by Bajan's Gal »

Paul,
I put a big West Marine unit in my tricabin last year and I do not think it weighed more than 50 lbs. Weight is probably not the issue but space is and access to a sea cock is a must. The discharge flexible duct work is 10" in diameter including the insulation and you should give thought to that as well when planning the location.
Chris
9mtrojan

Post by 9mtrojan »

THANKS guys. I notice there isn't a lot of 9meters around. Guess they didn't make many of them. Enjoy the rest of your season!!!! Paul
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

9mtrojan wrote:Hi All,
Hope everybody is having a GREAT 2013 season. For me, still fixing up from the Sandy Storm. But with her layed up I was thinking of installing an air cond unit. She is a 9m trojan and was wondering if any body can tell me where the AC unit mint be placed. I know I have room on the port side aft cabin but I am also worried about the weight of the unit. Don't want to make her lean to port because of the extra weight. Any and all advise will be appreciated. Thanks Paul :)
hi paul, i'm not familiar with the layout of your particular vessel. does it have a dinette? if so, some smaller vessels put the unit under the seat and cut out an area for intake and outlet. then, branching out forward and aft from that, the cooling ducts can be run from there using the center unit. make sure that you have a dedicated seacock put in along with a raw water strainer. barring that, if there is a marine hvac place near you, you may want to seek them out as a consult as to exactly what will work with your particular setup.
tri cabin aaron
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
zdek

Post by zdek »

Welcome to the board! I'm happy to see another active 9M owner on here.

I have air conditioning from the factory. The compressor is under the v-birth up front. Air return is on the vertical area under the v-birth facing aft. The control board for the A/C is on the wall facing the dinette with one vent. There are only two vents. One facing the v-birth (forward out of the wall) and one facing aft next to the control panel. The water inlet thru-hull and pump are back next to the thru-hull for the genset.

I have the original unit which quit cooling last summer. I only used it at the dock, but it could be used with the genset as well if needed. In my opinion, you're better off with a more economical new genset / a/c than factory!

What engines do you have in your boat? Do you have an Onan MCCK?
1984 9M International
1995 Formula 419 SR1
Glastron Carlsons
9mtrojan

Post by 9mtrojan »

First I'd like to say THANK YOU for your reply. I was almost thinking of getting a hatch AC. One question. When running does is bother you when your trying to go to sleep? I do a lot of overnights on the hook and also at the dock. To answer your questions I have twin 454's with 350 hp. I don't have a inboard generator but I do have a portable one. Does the job well when on the hook. Didn't put her in this season because I had some damage from the Sandy Storm but she will be ready for next season. Doing the work myself and not doing a bad job if I say so myself. Asked a lot of questions before I started. Also thought it would be a perfect time to install air cond. I love my 9m. Hope your season is going well for you. I can't wait til next year!!!! THANK YOU again!!! Paul
:D :) :lol: :P
zdek

Post by zdek »

Paul,
You bring up a good point. The old mother of a unit that I have is rather loud, but is tolerable. It's under the mattress and gives a good drone. Most nights I sleep really hard (vodka helps), and it isn't an issue.

On a side note, my MCCK 6.5 is an armature start model and has electrical issues. I have a Honda EU3000is with remote start that I have used successfully under the hatch between the engines. It's frowned upon in some circles, but works great and will run a 12k BTU a/c with soft start. They make a kit to plumb the exhaust into the blower line and right out the side vent of the engine room. The Onan weighs 425#, so the Honda is much better for performance.

How does your boat run? I'm on plane at 2450rpm or so, but spend most of my time around 1650rpm because of fuel burn. Just curious because there isn't alot of performance data on these.

Joe
1984 9M International
1995 Formula 419 SR1
Glastron Carlsons
comodave
Moderate User

Post by comodave »

I do not think that the Honda generators are ignition protected. I would think that the insurance company would frown on using one in the engine room of a gas fueled boat. As in canceling the insurance coverage in the event of a fire or explosion... Some people do use the Hondas on the boat inspite of the lack of ignition protection, but I believe they are using them above deck, not in a potentially explosive atmosphere inside the engine room.

When I bought my F32, the PO had installed an A/C unit in the engine room that was not ignition protected. My insurance company would not issue the policy unless I removed the A/C which I had fully intended to do. I once saw a boat in Detroit blow up and kill 4 people and injure about 6 others. I never want to see anything like that again, much less be aboard the exploding boat.
Trojan has been sold
1987 President 41 DC 225 Lehmans
Au Gres, Michigan
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

zdek wrote:Paul,
You bring up a good point. The old mother of a unit that I have is rather loud, but is tolerable. It's under the mattress and gives a good drone. Most nights I sleep really hard (vodka helps), and it isn't an issue.

I have a Honda EU3000is with remote start that I have used successfully under the hatch between the engines. It's frowned upon in some circles, but works great and will run a 12k BTU a/c with soft start. They make a kit to plumb the exhaust into the blower line and right out the side vent of the engine room. The Onan weighs 425#, so the Honda is much better for performance.

Joe
You have got to be kidding me . This is so unsafe in so many ways . If a expolsion won't kill you I expect the exhust fumes will . A kit to plum the exhust into the blower ? lets add fire to the list . got a link to this kit ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
vabeach1234
Moderate User

Post by vabeach1234 »

I have a Honda EU3000is with remote start that I have used successfully under the hatch between the engines.
:shock:
Sounds like a death wish.
Ken
1972 Trojan F26 Express
1985 Dell Quay Dory 13
Hampton, VA
http://s853.photobucket.com/user/vabeac ... ojan%20F26
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

On a side note, my MCCK 6.5 is an armature start model and has electrical issues. I have a Honda EU3000is with remote start that I have used successfully under the hatch between the engines. It's frowned upon in some circles, but works great and will run a 12k BTU a/c with soft start. They make a kit to plumb the exhaust into the blower line and right out the side vent of the engine room. The Onan weighs 425#, so the Honda is much better for performance.

How does your boat run? I'm on plane at 2450rpm or so, but spend most of my time around 1650rpm because of fuel burn. Just curious because there isn't alot of performance data on these.

Joe

=========================================================================================================================

Seriously?

You are risking the lives of your guests, your crew, and any nearby vessels at the dock.

Surely you simply do not understand the gravity of the situation you have created.

Every year we read about fatalities related to engine room explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.

As the Captain you are responsible for the safety of your crew and the vessel.

After reading your post, it appears that you have been lucky so far, however, given the combination you have introduced, the odds are not in your favor.

"FROWNED UPON"

REALLY ?

If you are interested in expanding your knowledge, don't take our collective word for it, simply google BOAT, CARBON MONOXIDE, CARBON MONOXIDE POISIONING, GASOLINE, GENERATOR, EXPLOSION, DEATH, FATALITY, INJURY, RISK, and FIRE. in any combination.

I hope that after further investigation you will change your M.O.

Meanwhile, despite the apparent negativity you have read, I am really happy to have another METER member on the FORUM and hope you survive long enough to enjoy your boat and get some good information that is freely offered here.

You must have an angel on your shoulder,

Best,

RWS
Last edited by RWS on Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:30 am, edited 5 times in total.
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
9mtrojan

Post by 9mtrojan »

Joe,
I plane at about 2200 rpms but she really digs. Hard to see over the bow so I have to stand on the foot rest on the helm seat. I prefer to run at 3000-3200 rpms. Just before 4 barrel. She lays down and the ride is smooth. She does adout 25 mph at 18 to 21 gals/hr depending on wind, current and of course load. This is with the original 454 Crusaders (old points system) with 4300 hrs on them. As far as the portable generator goes, I strap mine down on the pulpit (while anchored) and only run it went needed. Cook, hot water, clean. By the way. I noticed you don't have the pin stripeing on the hull. I like the look. How did you remove it? Paul
zdek

Post by zdek »

Thank you all for the insightful posts! I'll keep the negativity off the board and let you know how my luck holds out. If your equipment is in good shape you should never have fuel vapor in the engine room in the first place.

Paul,
Without the Onan, my bow breaks over at about the same RPM - roughly 2400. Rebuilding / recurving my distributors with compufire pointless ignition really helped. I have around 1100 hours and no issues so far - knock on wood! I do not believe my hull came with the pinstriping at all. The original dealer is a family friend and went through the boat with me when I purchased her 2 years ago. He said it's original, so maybe they didn't all come with it? There are some photos of my boat in this post. http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... f=1&t=5568
1984 9M International
1995 Formula 419 SR1
Glastron Carlsons
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

I believe there is a difference between negativity and reality.

I have no interest in the former, only the latter.

This forum is viewed by a great number of folks over time, and it provides a great deal of useful information, not only to the original poster, but to those who are seeking to increase their own level of knowledge.

It is incumbent on those of us who try to provide beneficial information to do so in a safe and responsible manner, especially as this forum and the threads herein continue to be a valuable resource to this community in the future as well.

I hope that someone seeing this thread later will consider the advice freely given and do their own research and seek out factual information before risking life and limb for themselves, their crews and dockmates.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED