Question, clockwise counter clockwise motors

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

K4282
Moderate User

Question, clockwise counter clockwise motors

Post by K4282 »

Soooo, I made a mistake, I installed a clockwise motor in my F32 and it should be a counter, what will happen if I put it in gear? It starts, runs, boats in the water...now what do I do?
summer storm
Moderate User

Re: Question, clockwise counter clockwise motors

Post by summer storm »

I don't think anything will happen if you put it in gear. For the tranny to work you will need to reverse the pump on the tranny so it will work with the current engine rotation. You will need to remove the tranny to do this. After that you will need to change the propeller. The problem is I think the boat will handle like crap without counter rotating props and the boat will want to turn all the time. I think you can get a new tranny that will fix the rotation problem, which should be cheaper than replacing the motor.
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

well i tried it, just did some circles in the cove near the dock, everything seems perfect, will try and go out later this week :D
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

K4282 wrote:well i tried it, just did some circles in the cove near the dock, everything seems perfect, will try and go out later this week :D
Are you sure you got the wrong engine? From what you posted putting the engine if forward should make the boat go in reverse, because of the prop.
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

summer storm wrote:
K4282 wrote:well i tried it, just did some circles in the cove near the dock, everything seems perfect, will try and go out later this week :D
Are you sure you got the wrong engine? From what you posted putting the engine if forward should make the boat go in reverse, because of the prop.
X2

even if you change the shifter The trans ( I assume velvet drive ) Can not take full power in the reverse position . you will burn the clutches .

Forward on the velvet drive will have the lever on the trans pushed forward . (Reverse would have the lever pushed to the back .

If you do indeed have them in wrong , the easy fix would be to swap the props and live with it .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

BTW your are not the first to do this and won't be the last .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

Well i dont know but everything worked great, boat runs perfect. Definatly same rotation motors. This was a project boat that came with the motor, the one I installed is fresh water cooled and old one is raw, boat is pieces of many I guess lol, the price I got it for I couldn't buy a kayak so its okImage
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

I don't see anyway that you can put a wrong rotation engine in and have it work fine without changing the prop or the gear shift but as the photo shows you are moving! There is something else going on that hasn't been discovered yet. Could it have been like this before? next time you start up take a look at the shafts and see which way they are turning.
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

Whether someon changed what along the line I have no idea, its even drawn inside the boat the rotation and mine is wrong, port motor pulls starboard and starboard motor pulls port in reverse, everything except syncing my throttles is perfect
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

K4282 wrote:....port motor pulls starboard and starboard motor pulls port in reverse....
That's normal! look at the balancer at the front of the engines when they crank. The port balancer should turn clockwise and the starboard should turn counter-clockwise. You can't be spooling up the engines to the same rpm with the wrong prop on one side.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

K4282 wrote:Whether someon changed what along the line I have no idea, its even drawn inside the boat the rotation and mine is wrong, port motor pulls starboard and starboard motor pulls port in reverse, everything except syncing my throttles is perfect
I am a little confused .

"port motor pulls starboard and starboard motor pulls port in reverse"
Thats normal due you the offset from center of the engines on a twin engine boat

"its even drawn inside the boat the rotation and mine is wrong,"
Drawn by who ? Not by Trojan .

Normally the automotive Turing (CCW ) is on the port side and the CW ( reverse turing) is on the starboard side . But there are some boats where its just the opposite like the 10 meter aft cabin flybrige and I believe some f 36 convertibles ( depending on the gear )
Sure there are others . Mine both are CCW

Rember looking at the flywheel end
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

Mine are stamped on the intake, drawn on the boat in magic marker on the boat...for a total investment of $4, 000 I can't complain, the motor I installed was a take out of a lobster boat in Newport, I just put the pieces together to hopefully flip it for a profit
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Big D posted at the same time

When said turning CW on the front pulley he is 100% correct , but if you look at the flywheel end it would be CCW we are saying the something .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

You can't go by the intake . They use the same on both sides some times the marks are removed other time they are not . Remember they are automotive castings .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

K4282 wrote: I installed a clockwise motor in my F32 and it should be a counter, ?
To help clear this up is this clockwise looking at the front or rear ? And what side engine did you replace ?

Did you use the trans that was in the boat or the one that may have been on the "new" engine ?
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels