Barnicals on trim tabs?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

K4282
Moderate User

Barnicals on trim tabs?

Post by K4282 »

Ok the picture may not be necessary however here's my question, I use bottom paint on my bottom obviously as well as the trim tabs but still get barnicals on the tabs, both my boats, I took this picture today 11/5 and I can see no barnicals anywhere else, why is this? Should I use a different paint on the tabs? Theirs not enough to affect anything and mainly on the top of the tab but just something I can't figure out... :?:
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Re: Barnicals on trim tabs?

Post by Stripermann2 »

Barnacles won't stick to mud... :wink:

I don't think that the paint, if any used on the tabs, lasts very long. Unless it's prepped and primed correctly and still, it won't stay on. Perhaps that is why.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

image.jpg
image.jpg (122.29 KiB) Viewed 5538 times
I use Pettit Zinc Barnacle paint in a spray can.... Works great, I use it on all my metal underwater hardware... Shafts, props, trim tabs, rudders and struts. Above photo is after 4+ months.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

Thanks, maybe ill try that, I don't put anything on my shafts, the ablative paint stays on the tabs just doesn't seem to do anything, I suppose our waters differ, I'm in about 7 months have maybe a dozen on the.bottom and.many more on the top of the tabs. I've scrapped the top of the tabs once as I need to clean my underwater light a couple times a year anyway as I obviously can't paint those. Id like to paint my platform brackets next year too, that's all brand new and never been painted, I now have a nice scum line.and know exactly where I want to paint from down, provideded that some sort of paint will actually do something on metal
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

I don't boat in salt water so I don't have this problem, but an obvious thing is that less water flow over the top of the tabs (when running), means less chance of washing them off. Keep the bottom of the tabs gooped with stuff that they won't like, and brush/scrub/scrape the tops as needed.
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

i tried it last year when ENTERPRISE was hauled and painted. did not do anything as, according to my diver, 'i was spinning a reef' on my shafts, props and rudders. he did say that they scraped off fairly easily, so, maybe it may have prevented complete adhesion. just wish that someone would create something that would prevent them from sticking.

um.... in regards to the f-32.... did it run aground? just curious.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

I just have to say you have a very strange way of checking your bottom for bottom growth. Down here in Florida we use travel lifts. :shock:
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

I wish I had barnacle issues!!!!!!
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Why is that poor boat sitting in the mud like that? Are the shafts & rudders buried as well? :shock:
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

she sits in the mud twice a day, its shallow at my private dock behind my house but its such soft much it doesnt harm anything. You could never walk out there you'd sink till your knees anyway, a $4k a year slip at a marina isnt financially feasible for me at this point and having your boat behind your house is convient. At high tide (depending on moon/tide hights) I have aroud 6ft of water at my transom. When I go in/out I just have to keep in mind the tides unfortunatly
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

aaronbocknek wrote:i tried it last year when ENTERPRISE was hauled and painted. did not do anything as, according to my diver, 'i was spinning a reef' on my shafts, props and rudders. he did say that they scraped off fairly easily, so, maybe it may have prevented complete adhesion. just wish that someone would create something that would prevent them from sticking.

um.... in regards to the f-32.... did it run aground? just curious.
mine clean off easily as well, just dont understand why they would even grow. I paint rudders but not shafts
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

K4282 wrote:she sits in the mud twice a day, its shallow at my private dock behind my house but its such soft much it doesnt harm anything. You could never walk out there you'd sink till your knees anyway, a $4k a year slip at a marina isnt financially feasible for me at this point and having your boat behind your house is convient. At high tide (depending on moon/tide hights) I have aroud 6ft of water at my transom. When I go in/out I just have to keep in mind the tides unfortunatly
I would think you would have problems with mud getting forced into the cooling water intakes, and clogging up the system...