1979 36ft TRICABIN only $6K

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: 1979 36ft TRICABIN only $6K

Post by captainmaniac »

I have said it before, and I will say it again... not gonna gain any friends on this one...

This is the kind of thing that drives me apeshit. A doorknob who doesn't know the real value of what he has, or is too desperate for cash, gives it away for pennies on the dollar. Then the buyer, who also doesn't have a clue about the value of what he has, figures he didn't pay diddly for it so is happy to give it away for even less pennies on the dollar. And THIS is what people will look at down the road (on Yachtworld, or Craigslist, or EBay, or whatever) to figure out what a TriCab, or any other F boat for that matter, is worth. If and when the rest of us look to sell, what we own will be devalued 50%+ because of this kind of owner stupidity.

If anyone wants this boat, BUY IT and get it off the market quick before it costs the rest of us tens of thousands of dollars in resale value.

Good quality TriCabs in this vintage are NOT $5K boats!!!!! For this vintage, with new engines, this boat should be in the $45-$50K range at a minimum.
DOUGNASH
Moderate User

Post by DOUGNASH »

oven stove and fridge work

TV's included, 2 built in electric heaaters

older battery charger works

1985 13 Meter International Express w/ 8v71tti 462hp Detroits, 43' x 16'3"
DOUGNASH
Moderate User

Post by DOUGNASH »

forward v-birth

fwd tv

fwd head
DOUGNASH
Moderate User

Post by DOUGNASH »

aft stateroom

aft head

aft head walk-in shower
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

captainmaniac wrote:I have said it before, and I will say it again... not gonna gain any friends on this one...

This is the kind of thing that drives me apeshit. A doorknob who doesn't know the real value of what he has, or is too desperate for cash, gives it away for pennies on the dollar. Then the buyer, who also doesn't have a clue about the value of what he has, figures he didn't pay diddly for it so is happy to give it away for even less pennies on the dollar. And THIS is what people will look at down the road (on Yachtworld, or Craigslist, or EBay, or whatever) to figure out what a TriCab, or any other F boat for that matter, is worth. If and when the rest of us look to sell, what we own will be devalued 50%+ because of this kind of owner stupidity.

If anyone wants this boat, BUY IT and get it off the market quick before it costs the rest of us tens of thousands of dollars in resale value.

Good quality TriCabs in this vintage are NOT $5K boats!!!!! For this vintage, with new engines, this boat should be in the $45-$50K range at a minimum.

I kind of agree with you But in todays market It should be in the 30k range and may still take time to sell . I have seen a few tri cabins go for 6-8k but these are in need of complete repowers and were older rear engine models . they where bought as live aboards .

Like you I hate to see what our boats are worth now in todays market . And this is at a time where new boat prices are at a all time high .

New car prices are at all time high , And used car prices are thought the roof . I guess because cars are need and boats are a want . '

But when you see them going this low it only lowers the value of ours even lower . ( this goes for all brands .it is not a trojan thing)
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Doug how are the engines ?
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

I agree with Prowlersfish, a more appropriate price would be $30K. The value of the large boats is limited by the inherently high fixed costs associated with them (dock fees, storage fees, maintenance costs, fuel costs, etc.) This boat might only cost $5K to buy, but would probably cost another $5K every year to keep. Most people don't have that kind of money to spend annually. I try to keep my annual boating costs to around $2K. Being a member of a yacht club lets me do that pretty easily most years. Rebuilding the transmission and V drive this year put me over by quite a bit, but that should (hopefully) be an anomaly.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Man -- Thanks for the pics! I was sweating before I saw that you get what you pay for! No generator, no battery box, wiring is a disaster waiting to happen, everything about to rust apart or rot (OK, not everything), windows leak (superstructure probably wet under them -- and it is cored), etc. No toilet paper in the toilet? Really? You can tell how a boat was really maintained by how the owner treats it. This one had crap laying everywhere. There are used boats, and there are used-up boats.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

Sorry, but I think this boat is priced correctly. I would put a nice one in the 20-30K range but this boat is no where near that level. All the decks are soft? How much would that cost to fix? 50K for a 36 tricab? I disagree with that too. I can buy a newer Chris Craft 41 commander for that kind of money. Maybe my standards are to high and when I look at 34 year old boat I expect it to be in pristine condition. At the very least clean and tidy, worn but operational, and maintained.

I would love to see these old boats hold their value a little better but the market is the market, can't fight it.
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Asuming the engines run well and there is no major coring issue , its a steal . Would not take much to clean up the engines and paint , And hire molly maid for a day ,
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

This Trojan is probably worth it's 49.5K asking price. It looks perfect.

http://www.horizonmarinecenter.com/boat ... s-yr-1986/
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

Looks like a deal!

Is there really a place of ass, ny?
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

the ad says it is sold, it was one clean boat
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

the ad says it is sold
That's probably because it was in such fine shape. There are so many used boats that are just floating disasters, that the true gems really stand out. I looked at 10 1981 to 1985 tricabs. When I saw the 11th one, I made an offer (contingent on survey of course) immediately. Because it was on the market only two days before I called, I probably paid too much. It was worth it to me, because the best-used maintenance dollar is the one you don't spend.

Any idea how long it was on the market?
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Almost every boat I have owned has been in a fixer up shape when I have brought it ( with the exception of the one I have now ) all where solid put had engines torn apart or pulled out . Every one of them I fixed used the heck out of them and made money when it came to sell . Just by looking at the Photos the tricabin could be a diamond in the rough . Of course it could have major issues . You would have to check it out .

Other then in bad need of a haul out the boat I have now was a ready to go boat . I bought it at a gasser price ( It was repowered with newer diesels) . But still paid a lot more then a fixer upper price . Thanks to the economy I will lose when I sell .

If I was in the market and that was my style boat I would look at it . Give me a project boat any day . Of course I know what look for and when to walk as I have been doing this for years and with many boats . You have to know surface rust from rusted away . You have to look thought that fresh shiny paint and see what really there . With that said I have seen many people over whelmed with project boats and then the boat ends up sitting . Not thing for the inexperienced .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels