MyBoat

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

63Skiffhardtop

MyBoat

Post by 63Skiffhardtop »

Just curious if anyone can tell me how rare my boat is? I know it's a 25ft hardtop but other than that I have no idea any info would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
razrpics1 349.jpg
razrpics1 349.jpg (30.28 KiB) Viewed 9247 times
razrpics1 311.jpg
razrpics1 311.jpg (31.92 KiB) Viewed 9247 times
razrpics1 318.jpg
razrpics1 318.jpg (33.32 KiB) Viewed 9247 times
63Skiffhardtop

Re: MyBoat

Post by 63Skiffhardtop »

OK let me ask it this way.

Has anyone ever seen a boat like mine? I cannot seem to find another owner out there........
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I have seen a few but its been a long time .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

There used to be one in a field not far from me. Went over once to see if anything was salvagable. Unfortunately there wasn't much of her left. They have since cleaned up the area and she's gone. Are you bringing this one back to life?
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
63Skiffhardtop

Post by 63Skiffhardtop »

Yes I am currently restoring one to the best of my ability's and was just curious if anyone had ever seen another boat like mine. I am starting to think they did not produce this particular model in mass numbers like the counterparts. I mean even literature is kinda hard to find, I have seen it on ebay but its mostly sea breeze and some of the other models. Im just wondering if it makes it worth more that the fact that it's rare only because I may have the only one left.
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

63Skiffhardtop wrote:Im just wondering if it makes it worth more that the fact that it's rare only because I may have the only one left.
The short answer is no. unlike the classic car world, the word "rare" doesn't seem raise the value of a boat. Boats seem to hold (or raise) there value if there is a large following or if they proved to be very popular. Like the the Chris Craft runabouts (large following) or a Bertram 31 (very popular) people grew up seeing these boats and said "one day I will own one" and sooner or later they do. I bought my 32 because my dad had one. Of course Bayliner built a gazillion boats but I don't think you will be seeing them in museums any time soon.

It looks like your boat is in really good shape for it's year. What a great project.
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

summer storm wrote:
63Skiffhardtop wrote:Im just wondering if it makes it worth more that the fact that it's rare only because I may have the only one left.
The short answer is no. unlike the classic car world, the word "rare" doesn't seem raise the value of a boat. Boats seem to hold (or raise) there value if there is a large following or if they proved to be very popular. Like the the Chris Craft runabouts (large following) or a Bertram 31 (very popular) people grew up seeing these boats and said "one day I will own one" and sooner or later they do.....
I agree that it won't be in as much demand or worth as the OEMs you'd see in an antique boat show but once she's fixed up and bright, she'll certainly turn heads, and I for one can tell you that the feeling you get from the comments of onlookers is priceless. You just can't put a price on that pride. Not many people will know or appreciate what she really is, but those in the know certainly will.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

Besides. The normal way to make you boat worth 30 thousand is to spend 50 thousand restoring it.
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
63Skiffhardtop

Post by 63Skiffhardtop »

Well said both of you! And I can attest to spending way more than I should have on other projects and only seeing half on my return that part is just how the game is played. I didn't think she would be worth more but I was hoping. As for it's condition it's not too bad I mean it's got some rot issues but I went after those with a vengeance and found some more but I will not be able to take care of it till spring time as winter has already set in here in Michigan. I really hope to have her in the water next year but I'm not going to rush it seeing how this is my first boat I want to make sure it's done as right as I can get it or as right as my wallet will let me get it.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

63Skiffhardtop wrote:Well said both of you! And I can attest to spending way more than I should have on other projects and only seeing half on my return that part is just how the game is played. I didn't think she would be worth more but I was hoping. As for it's condition it's not too bad I mean it's got some rot issues but I went after those with a vengeance and found some more but I will not be able to take care of it till spring time as winter has already set in here in Michigan. I really hope to have her in the water next year but I'm not going to rush it seeing how this is my first boat I want to make sure it's done as right as I can get it or as right as my wallet will let me get it.
If you are doing it for money, stop. If you are doing it for love, keep going.

BUT, regardless of which... you need to make sure it is safe before ever leaving a dock. Please don't take this the wrong way, but getting it done 'as right as I can get it or as right as my wallet will let me get it' doesn't cut it. If it is not done right enough to trust people's LIVES to it, it's not done right enough. I have seen too many people replace a plank here and there, a bit of epoxy here and there, and then leave the dock on a death trap. I have refused to sell a boat to someone who I figured was going to make exactly that mistake. With a boat, if the s**t hits the fan you can't just pull over to the side of the road and wait for AAA. You and all your passengers are going down... and if you are not prepared, someone is going to get hurt, or die.

I absolutely love the idea that you are looking at restoring an old '63 because I think people are losing sight of all the history around where boating came from in North America. My father owned a '69 Trojan Sea Skiff for about 25 years, and if I had the skills or could afford to pay someone to maintain it the way it should be it would still be alive today (instead we sold it to someone in 2001 who claimed they were going to restore it, but tried a patch job instead, and failed miserably - what was left is now in a landfill somewhere). If you are going to do it, please do it right, and make it safe.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

If you want some incentive look at the 63 seabreeze thread .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
1967 seavoyager
Moderate User

Post by 1967 seavoyager »

Take a look at my photobucket page to see how involved it can get. It will turn a lot of heads for sure. It's worth the time, effort, & money, just don't be in a hurry & cut corners. I finally got back in the water after 11 years in the barn. It was very nice being afloat again, but I still have more to do from the decks up. The other posts are right, do it because you love the boat. Good luck & have fun !
They'll pry a rotten plank from my cold dead fingers before i go "Tupperware". http://www.photobucket.com/restless
seavoyager36@hotmail.com

"Restless"
1967 Trojan 36' Sea Voyager Express
63Skiffhardtop

Post by 63Skiffhardtop »

[quote]If you are doing it for money, stop. If you are doing it for love, keep going.

BUT, regardless of which... you need to make sure it is safe before ever leaving a dock. Please don't take this the wrong way, but getting it done 'as right as I can get it or as right as my wallet will let me get it' doesn't cut it. If it is not done right enough to trust people's LIVES to it, it's not done right enough. I have seen too many people replace a plank here and there, a bit of epoxy here and there, and then leave the dock on a death trap. I have refused to sell a boat to someone who I figured was going to make exactly that mistake. With a boat, if the s**t hits the fan you can't just pull over to the side of the road and wait for AAA. You and all your passengers are going down... and if you are not prepared, someone is going to get hurt, or die.

I absolutely love the idea that you are looking at restoring an old '63 because I think people are losing sight of all the history around where boating came from in North America. My father owned a '69 Trojan Sea Skiff for about 25 years, and if I had the skills or could afford to pay someone to maintain it the way it should be it would still be alive today (instead we sold it to someone in 2001 who claimed they were going to restore it, but tried a patch job instead, and failed miserably - what was left is now in a landfill somewhere). If you are going to do it, please do it right, and make it safe.[/quote]

No offense taken and believe me it will be right cause the last thing I need is people in distress on a boat that's going under. I have replaced frames,planking etc..... heck the forward deck is out because it was not safe to tip toe on so i did not mean it literally when is said " as right as I can get it or as right as my wallet will let me get it " I'm just speaking of the cuff you understand. I am not doing for money either I have always wanted a Chris Craft Sea Skiff HT and I happen to find this instead so I bought it not really knowing anything about it I mean the price was right I only gave 500.00 with the trailer for it!
63Skiffhardtop

Post by 63Skiffhardtop »

Very nice boat sea voyager looks awesome!
1967 seavoyager
Moderate User

Post by 1967 seavoyager »

Thank you. It's a labor of love. It was real nice to drive it again after all those years on blocks. It still needs a lot of work, aft deck, cabin top, cockpit windows, hardtop, A little each year & I may catch up to it. Dig in ! See you on the water.
They'll pry a rotten plank from my cold dead fingers before i go "Tupperware". http://www.photobucket.com/restless
seavoyager36@hotmail.com

"Restless"
1967 Trojan 36' Sea Voyager Express