USCG Documentation ~ educate me

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

K4282
Moderate User

USCG Documentation ~ educate me

Post by K4282 »

Ive had mostly registered boats over the years, a couple documented boats, and removed from documentation boats, whats the benefits, is their any? users Prowlersfish and Captainmanic were recently researching a boat I shared on here with a website, is documentation just sharing with strangers and your particulars? Maybe its a benefit in other areas of the country but I cant see any in RI
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Re: USCG Documentation ~ educate me

Post by P-Dogg »

Only benefit that I know of in Maryland is that you don't have to wax around your registration numbers, since there aren't any. If you pay the documentation fee, you still get to show your patriotism by paying state tax. I think that is not the case in all states, but Maryland is pretty good at the tax-and-spend routine.

Our governor raised the state income tax recently. When doing so, he pointed out that state taxes are deductible from federal income tax, so our tax rates weren't really going up (it's just that the federal government would now have less money all things being equal). A swell fella' he is.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

You still have to wax around the name on the bow :wink: ( You don't have to have a name on the bow unless your comracally documented . )
The main benefits are : you pay once to register and thats it . It is easier to make sure the boat is free of leans or what liens there are . Many banks will only loan money on a documented boat . May add value as you have a full history and boat can be used in trade .

And if you travel to foreign ports it almost a must . As you become a US flagged vessel

And you can fly a yacht ensign

And its cool :mrgreen:

But to most of us much of that makes no difference .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Diverted Income
Moderate User

Post by Diverted Income »

In Iowa we pay less for the registration if the boat is documented. Quite a bit less, probably won't be that way forever though.
1982 Trojan F-32 w/Merc 230's
1975 Baja V-1800J w/ 502 Ford
http://missriverrat.com
https://www.facebook.com/UMRMriverrat
BarryL
Sporadic User

Post by BarryL »

In Illinois it doesn't save you anything on the yearly registration fees with the Department of Natural Resources but like someone earlier mentioned a lot of banks require you to document. after the initial fee which is mostly profit for the lender the annual documentation renewals are free as long as you don't miss one. I think it is $5.00 thankfully my 10 meter was bought cash in hand so I don't have to worry about it.

one advantage I did discover was this. a few years ago while out on lake Michigan on my previous Trojan a helicopter kept circling the boat and it looked like they were taking pictures. At the time it thought it was odd but a month later I received a solicitation from Boat Pix.com asking if I wanted to buy pictures of my boat on Lake Michigan on a specified date. I got the pictures and they were great Expensive but great. Turns out they found me through the national vessel documentation service
I love my boat! It takes all of my money and doesn't bitch.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

You can get the same type of info from many states too ( not by name but by # )
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

We don't have sales or property taxes on boats in RI and no loans so...on 30ft plus we have the option to register for onw or two years but theirs no discount to pay two years or if it was documented so I guess its of no benefit to me personally, thanks, always wondered
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

K4282 wrote:We don't have sales or property taxes on boats in RI and no loans so...on 30ft plus we have the option to register for onw or two years but theirs no discount to pay two years or if it was documented so I guess its of no benefit to me personally, thanks, always wondered

Is RI one of the states where you have to register it even if its documented ? Glad there is no sales or propertly taxes there .In CT next door to you they hit you hard on sales tax. In Va the boat taxes are up to the City/town your in . One reason I keep my boat where its at ....No Tax
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

In the early days, a "Federally Documented Vessel" could also be called into service, if requested by the government, in time of war... 8)
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

[
prowlersfish wrote:Is RI one of the states where you have to register it even if its documented ? Glad there is no sales or propertly taxes there .In CT next door to you they hit you hard on sales tax. In Va the boat taxes are up to the City/town your in . One reason I keep my boat where its at ....No Tax
Yes we have to register if documented or not, but. Ive had boats registered in Mass before and I dont recall if i paid sales tax but do remember paying exile aka property taxes on them. We dont tax boats here in RI do a desire to keep builders located mainly in Bristol RI from what im told, and I work in politics so I believe thats why. We have Outerlimits (amazing beautiful) Blue Fin a few sailboats and others
Stripermann2 wrote:In the early days, a "Federally Documented Vessel" could also be called into service, if requested by the government, in time of war... 8)
I heard that, a reason id be leary of documentation mine
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

The main benefits are : you pay once to register and thats it.

You have to renew your certificate every year for which there is no fee. I heard some rumblings that the USCG wants to start charging a fee for the yearly renewals.

In Illinois we are also supposed to register with the State but we don't get a State number. I have failed to register in IL and if I get pulled over, I will play dumb and say its a USCG documented vessel and that I didn't know I had to register with the State
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

In NY you have to pay a three year registration to the state even if you are documented, but you don't have to show your numbers. You DO have to show the NYS regristration sticker(s) on both sides of the bow though. Plus, where I am, you have to show a LGPC decal in the current year, and for a 32 footer its $247.50 a year for that decal. Add 100 bux if you have a 36 footer, and forget it if you have a 40 footer, thats 450 bux a year. Nothing gets you out from under the LGPC decal. Its a local thing.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Sounds like a good reason to move .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

prowlersfish wrote:Sounds like a good reason to move .
Funny you should mention it, because its in the cards. Not because of the stupid fee though, just another oppertunity has come along. The biggest issue with relocation is how to move the Trojan. I could pay A LOT of decal fees for what its gonna cost me to move the boat 5500 miles, but the other side of that is that I could live on it for awhile during home construction. Having it documented would likely be a plus in the proposed new home waters. Halibut anyone????
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

What in the world is LGPC? Glad we don't have that fee either!