'85 tricabin fresh water tank replacement

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

'85 tricabin fresh water tank replacement

Post by P-Dogg »

When I bought my boat, there was no fresh water tank level sensor. Being a mechanical engineer and fond of data, not to mention wanting to know whether I could complete my shower, I set out to fix that by installing a Wema level sensor in my factory aluminum water tank. Here is my tale...

I needed a threaded fitting in the tank in which to screw the new sensor. Since I didn't really want to weld two feet away from 220 gallons of gasoline, I bought a half-nipple and a piece of aluminum plate from my favorite store on earth, http://www.mcmaster.com. I cut a hole in the plate, rolled it to match the tank curvature, and welded the nipple to the plate. Since I was going to be cutting a hole in the tank, I figured that I'd take the opportunity to make the hole big enough to serve as an inspection port while I was at it.

Here is the tank before I really got started. The tank is enclosed in some built-in cabinetry, which has been removed. The hole is laid out. The plate and nipple were used to mark the proposed hole.

The new plate is attached to the tank by bolts, which can be removed when the need arises to access the inside of the tank in the future. They are threaded into 1/4" x 1" 6061 aluminum flats that were riveted in place inside of the tank. One flat is already installed inside of the tank, and is visible on the right side of the picture. I used tape as a cofferdam to catch debris so it didn't disappear into the bilge.

I also took the time to install a water tank vent that discharges overflow outside the boat, where it gives an indication that the tank is full, and keeps you from spilling water inside of the boat each time that you fill the tank. The factory vent discharged into the bilge when the tank was full. Really? I inspected the vinyl vent hose, tried to puncture it, and decided that it was in much better shape than anything that I could buy new.

Having made a new large hole in my tank, I was able to see inside for the first time. Uh oh. What is that? It looks like a baffle plate that was formerly welded in place inside the tank. It is floating around free now, and it could interfere with the new float. That's either got to come out, or get bolted back in place.

Mmmm. That doesn't look to good either. It is where the baffle was formerly attached to the tank. Looks like this one wasn't the last weld to break -- one of the other tabs acted as a hinge while the baffle rubbed on the tank after it broke here. I'm drinking water that is contained by this mess?

I decided to remove the tank, and coat the inside with food-grade epoxy tank liner. When I got the tank home, I was able to more closely inspect the tank. After further review, a new tank was in order.

After the factory tank was removed.

I was fortunate to find a tank that would not only fit through the door, but would fit within the geometric confines available in the tank area, and had more capacity than the factory tank. It was the same width, but was a pentagon in cross-section, instead of a circle. I think that I picked-up 6 gallons in the deal.

Here is the tank space part way through the installation of the support for the new tank, looking aft. New 2x material was sistered onto the existing supports, then additional 2x material was laid on top in order to provide complete support for the new plastic tank. Note the rectangular hole in the upper-left bulkhead. When I got the boat, there was a tiny hole there. The first time that I removed the night stand, I made the hole as large as it could be, so that there might be a chance of getting an arm in there to work on something in the future if need be. Also visible to the left on the bottom of the hull is the new fiberglass backing plate for the outside leg of the V-strut. I beefed-up the original arrangement the first time that I pulled my boat.

And another shot a little farther along, looking forward. The 2x4 that you see on the right is just tacked in place in order to provide a reference for the supports. Not too much in this area is plumb, level, or square, so I had to provide a datum.

The new tank support in place. Why do the inside of the hull and the pressure-treated wood which will likely never be seen by me again need to be painted? They just do....

Polyethylene foam provides a modest cushion for the tank, and protects against asperities in the supporting structure.

A wire runs along the forward bulkhead of the compartment. It is protected by a spacer, which keeps the wire from being pinched in the event that the tank slides forward for any reason. Why does it have to be level? It just does....

The new tank is held in place with new stainless strapping.

Here is the wiring all buttoned-up and ready for some self-fusing tape over the connections. Abrasion resistant covering on the sensor wires protect them from the stainless strapping, to which it is tied to resist fatigue. Some extra wire is coiled along the bulkhead to left, so that there is a chance of working on the wire in the future and having some slack in it.

All that future stewards of my boat will see to let them know that something happened here. My original plan was to install the rolled plate and nipple arthroscopically, so I carefully cut a door in the existing plywood underneath of the drawers. Ha!

A cross-section of the old tank. Yes, that yellow thing is a pit that extends two-thirds of the way through from the inside.

The old tank has been re-purposed. Crabs anyone?
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Re: '85 tricabin fresh water tank replacement

Post by mikeandanne »

Good stuff,it's amazing how what appears to start out as a simple project turns into a complete refit---- nice job on all the details,well thought out and a couple of aluminium buckets to boot--- Lol------Mike
Diverted Income
Moderate User

Post by Diverted Income »

Nice job!
1982 Trojan F-32 w/Merc 230's
1975 Baja V-1800J w/ 502 Ford
http://missriverrat.com
https://www.facebook.com/UMRMriverrat
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Hi P-Dogg,

Kudos for a very nice description and accompanying photos. Well done.

How many gallons does your new tank hold?

You've really got that Tricabin up and rolling in the avatar. :)

I have replaced my fresh water tank as well. The original fresh water tank in my '74 Tricabin in still in place but is obviously unused. My replacement tank holds only ten gallons.

Cheers

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Thanks y'all. My new tank holds 75 gallons.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Hi

Correction regarding my fresh water tank which has a 25 gallon capacity. It's still too small but beggars can't be choosers.

I installed a 25 gal fiberglass tank for fresh water and a 25 gal fiberglass tank for black water when I installed the vacuflush. Both tanks are annoyingly small but I had little choice.

Cheers

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
boatsnbars

Post by boatsnbars »

Yikes!!! I felt good when I replaced one of the fresh water tanks in my 1988 F-36 with a food grade 55 gallon drum and some ratchet straps from Harbor Freight. I did re- install the sensors, but they only tell me half full and empty. The new tank also added 5 more gallons of capacity bringing total capacity to 105 gallons, plus 12 in the water heater. And it is a water heater, not a hot water heater. Why would you need to heat hot water? :D
1988 Trojan F36, 2004 Palm Beach
rbcool
Active User

Post by rbcool »

Excellent job P
RB 8)
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

Great job and great write up. Personally I have never used a level on a boat but then again my boat has never been level enough for it to work :D
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

Wow! Cool P!

Looks awesome. Excellent job.

I'm on the fence about a water tank level indicator. Just can't decide if I want one or not. Would be nice to have a gauge in the galley and/or head to know when its time to refill. Its not that big of a deal here if I run it way down because I boat in drinking quality water. (No foolin' EPA double A rated drinking quality.) I have a small sump I got from Sears that I just drop overboard on a rope with a hose to the deck fill. Some thoughful PO installed one of those nice micro filters on the tank outlet. I just put a new element in it every spring to take care of particulate matter like pollen and hemlock needles, both of which we can have a lot of here depending on the time of year. I mention the filter because I really like it and perhaps some other folks here might wish to consider installing one as well. Its basically the same thing I have here at the house coming out of the well tank.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.