Soft starboard deck on a 87 Tricabin need advice

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rickalan35
Moderate User

Re: Soft starboard deck on a 87 Tricabin need advice

Post by rickalan35 »

Hi Guys,

After spending most of last spring and summer working on my own tricabin, subsequently missing all targeted completion dates (everything takes longer than planned) for each individual project - it still exhausts me to imagine tackling the work required in this tricabin you're currently looking at. I know that I'll probably get recharged again as we get closer toward spring, but it's only December and I'm still "out of energy" for boat work.

In the back of my mind would be the fact that if the former owner allowed it to get to this point, there would also be many new issues that would continually pop up as time went by.

Here in Ontario, that boat would be a $6,500 to $9,500 price tag if the owner was serious about selling imo

There are many used tricabins on the market and I would keep looking if I were you (but I know we're all different)

You sure took lots of great photographs. That particular photograph of the underwater exhaust reminded me of the recent excellent expose that was featured on this forum detailing a complete explanation and rebuild of same.

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

rickalan35 wrote:
Here in Ontario, that boat would be a $6,500 to $9,500 price tag if the owner was serious about selling imo

There are many used tricabins on the market and I would keep looking if I were you (but I know we're all different)
Yea, I think your price range is correct.
As for many tri-cabins on the market, not down here in the South. There is only one other on my Lake and in the South Region of the U.S. they are kinda hard to find. Most of the ones I have seen for sale are in the North. I guess they weren't all that popular down here for some reason.
79' Carver 28' Mariner
I want another Trojan, preferably a Tri Cabin
rbcool
Active User

Post by rbcool »

With 500 hrs on engines and Onan running perfect I think she's ABSOLUTELY worth it!!! If it was still in Baltimore I'd buy her right now.
The survey on my '87 was twice the value of any year earlier.
RB 8)
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

It's looking like there might be a chance of a trade for my 28' Carver Mariner. He seems interested in trading so we will see.
I am going to inspect it fully and look over the stringers and complete hull first. Making sure there is no further rot damage in the hull.
So we will see what happens. I MIGHT be starting a restoration thread for this ol' thing. LOL!
79' Carver 28' Mariner
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

So I know the railing on the rear is all lose. I am assuming there could be some rot in the wood under where they are mounted. How do you go about replacing the wood under them?

EDIT: After Googling, I see that there isn't wood under them, just re-enforced fiberglass, I guess I just need to find out how to get under them and tighten them back up after resealing the bolt holes. Two person job I think.
79' Carver 28' Mariner
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

rbcool wrote:With 500 hrs on engines and Onan running perfect RB 8)
I have learned that the only thing a hour meter on a boat tells you is the total hours on the meter.
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

summer storm wrote:
rbcool wrote:With 500 hrs on engines and Onan running perfect RB 8)
I have learned that the only thing a hour meter on a boat tells you is the total hours on the meter.
Yea, True..... Lol
79' Carver 28' Mariner
rbcool
Active User

Post by rbcool »

All of my aft railing was loose when I bought mine. The nuts are bedded in the fiberglass and a bad idea! Access was pretty good through the mirror port above the aft bed. I used marine grade 2x4, 12" pieces, for each rail post. Used new SS nuts, bolts, and lock washers and bedded with 5200. Had wife top side with large screw driver while I ratcheted from below. I could use the railings as cleats they are soo strong!! lol The project took us 3 hrs and cost around $30
p.s. Mine was appraised at 10 times what the canadians think they're worth....that's the advantage of an '87
RB 8)
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

p.s. Mine was appraised at 10 times what the canadians think they're worth....that's the advantage of an '87
Ten times the value of what Canadians think they're worth is not a fair comment in my opinion. The fact that RB's 1987 Tricabin has been appraised at between $65,000 and $95,000 dollars proves that it is in bristol condition. But in my reply I was assuming that the boat that JW is considering requires a significant amount of project work.

But I do need to apologize, for not taking into consideration the age of the boat. My own tricabin is thirteen years older (1974) and that makes for a really big difference. I'm sure that these newer models bring a much higher dollar value. I don't own anywhere near a 1987. I pretty much jumped in here too quickly and should have given it a little more thought before I did. Sorry.

Whatever you decide to do, JW even if you do pay the $17,000 asking price (or close to it), then subsequently spend some time and money re-fitting it to where you want it - it appears that you will have pretty good value.

All the best with it going forward.
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

rickalan35 wrote:Whatever you decide to do, JW even if you do pay the $17,000 asking price (or close to it), then subsequently spend some time and money re-fitting it to where you want it - it appears that you will have pretty good value.
Frigg that.... 12 tops or move on. If you like the boat show the money. If not move on.

Not to be rude but I got my Trojan for A LOT less than the ask. I had a great seller who really cared and did things well above the level of an average seller. She still understood the gravity of the situation finacially, and while I am sure she would have liked to get more for the boat, she also understood the economy of this scale and there I was with an offer backed up with a certified bank check at closing. If the shoes were reversed I would have done what she did and ran away with the check while I watched to boat sail off.

Did I get a bad deal? NO.

Did she get ripped off? NO.

At the end of the day you are foolish not to ask.

My first offer wasn't accepted, but shortly thereafter we reached an agreement.

FFS, start at 9500 if you have to. Looks like its worth a hard look.

Friggin vintage F series are bullet proof.

Look at Aarons boat, Perry's boat, Tims boat, RB's old boat, etc. They are all sik looking (that means good you old farts).

Get in there and do the tough negotiating. If it doesn't pan out, walk away knowing you tried your best. There will always be another.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

The seller an I discussed it yesterday. His asking price dropped to $12,000 but he wasn't interested in an even trade for my Carver so I'm not in the position until mine sells to throw a Cash offer right now. I could possibly offer him $9k and he would probably take it but I think he only wants cash instead of any type of trade. He stated he had two offers at $17,500 but they are each waiting to sell and car or land. I'm not sure if he's telling a story or not. I don't think anyone around here would pay $17500 for it cause of the work it needs. If they did they would be ripped off. For $20k I can find MANY more options that are larger boats and in MUCH better condition.

I left my offer on the table and I'm almost positive he will be texting me back after a little time has past but for now I am moving on to other things and continue to upgrade the Carver. By this spring I will put the Carver up for sale and find something bigger and better. I'm really focusing on Trojan or Carver. I like the quality in the builders.
79' Carver 28' Mariner
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

rickalan35 wrote:
Ten times the value of what Canadians think they're worth is not a fair comment in my opinion. The fact that RB's 1987 Tricabin has been appraised at between $65,000 and $95,000 dollars proves that it is in bristol condition.
95K for a 1987 36 foot Trojan??? I'm not trying to offend anyone but that is beyond ridiculous. Insured value does not represent market value.
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

jwrape wrote:I left my offer on the table and I'm almost positive he will be texting me back after a little time has past but for now I am moving on to other things and continue to upgrade the Carver. By this spring I will put the Carver up for sale and find something bigger and better. I'm really focusing on Trojan or Carver. I like the quality in the builders.
I bet you get a message back soon. Maybe even as soon as the seller realizes what he spent on holiday cheer this month. ;)
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

Commissionpoint wrote:
jwrape wrote:I left my offer on the table and I'm almost positive he will be texting me back after a little time has past but for now I am moving on to other things and continue to upgrade the Carver. By this spring I will put the Carver up for sale and find something bigger and better. I'm really focusing on Trojan or Carver. I like the quality in the builders.
I bet you get a message back soon. Maybe even as soon as the seller realizes what he spent on holiday cheer this month. ;)

Yea, I think so
79' Carver 28' Mariner