no oil pressure

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: no oil pressure

Post by prowlersfish »

Good to know you got her fixed !
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

Aren't happy endings great?
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

A definite plus having the oil pump on the exterior in a marine app. Gotta love the 440!
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I think the 440 was one of the best marine engines ever . I always feel they were a much better marine engine the 454 . Sad thing was when the stopped making the 440 , they when to using the 460 ford . That IMO was the worst marine engine . (460 Chrysler marine )
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

prowlersfish wrote: Avoid the PF-2E & PF-20E the E is for economy most auto parts stores do not sell the E filters as they come in a bulk package. ( still better then fram IMO )

Sorry, but the E at the end of the AC Delco oil filter part number does not stand for economy. Do a search for AC Delco ecore.
The regular E filters are also not bulked pack. They come in a standard count case and are individually boxed.
If you want the filter in a bulk pack you have to put an ''F'' on the end. The F stands for Fleet Pack. The case is still a standard count case but they are not individually boxed for retail sale as the filters are just plastic wrapped.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Sorry Jerry but your mistaken ( on the packaging part) We buy the "E" filters by the 1000's . They come to us in the bulk package not in there own box . But Maybe able to be ordered that way .they both meet OEM specs but compare a PF47E to a PF47 compare the base their not the same . I can buy the E filters cheaper . AC delco site will not tell you what the E is for Just compare a E to the same number with out the E . The E may end up replacing the plain number But it is not as well made . Get one of each and look for yourself .

The E is the newest But I feel it is cheaper to make the filter .

Your are correct on the E stating for E-core .

They call the Ecore a improvement , I call it cost cutting .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

FWIW I don't believe they are making the PF2or 20 in Ecore yet any way . So I may have jumped the gun anyway .

Something I found on the web

"AC Delco oil filters are currently made by Champion Labs using their E-Core design.. Wix was making them for a while prior."

Not sure if its true or not . But just because its made by brand X it still is made the way they (AC) wants them made . And that could be better or worse and not the same as brand X sells with the brand X label ( or other)
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Glad you found it .

FYI - I (like Paul) only use Cummins Fleetguard LFxxxx Venturi Combo filters now - expensive, but worth it

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efAsM8kRuYo and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9WaAFUQz5Y
more info: http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/html/e ... combo.html
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

prowlersfish wrote:Sorry Jerry but your mistaken ( on the packaging part) We buy the "E" filters by the 1000's . They come to us in the bulk package not in there own box . But Maybe able to be ordered that way .they both meet OEM specs but compare a PF47E to a PF47 compare the base their not the same . I can buy the E filters cheaper . AC delco site will not tell you what the E is for Just compare a E to the same number with out the E . The E may end up replacing the plain number But it is not as well made . Get one of each and look for yourself .

The E is the newest But I feel it is cheaper to make the filter .

Your are correct on the E stating for E-core .

They call the Ecore a improvement , I call it cost cutting .
Paul,
I agree with most of what you say about the changes but I just don't want people to think the E stands for economy because it does not. Just like the new age pistols that used to only be made out of steel, things are really changing.
I run an ACDelco distribution center that supplies training and product to all the GM Dealers and PSC Centers within about 75 miles from me. I stock about 30,000 filters at any one time and have never seen a bulked pack E filter that does not have an F (Fleet Pack) at the end of the part number on the case.
Maybe that's because I mainly deal with Dealers and PSC Centers. I bet if you order enough of them you can get them any way you would like from Champion Labs.
The biggest complaint that we received when they first came out is that E's were a bit shorter.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Jerry , the E for Economy is a assumption on my part (along with others )
We buy the the E filters in Bulk , they do not come boxed to us . Honestly I don't know what the number on the case is just the filters Example PF47E vs PF47 . We are a GM dealer and are order through normal GM parts channels . I work at the Service end not parts . But I do see a lot that comes in and of course the single part.

Sending you a pm .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
oldboat1
Sporadic User

Post by oldboat1 »

My first thought was an electrical issue -- bad sending unit or bad connection. You referred to oil pressure at the sending unit, but didn't see any reference to the possibility that the unit was bad or the electrical connection was bad. Just a thought. A dicey unit or connection could give on again/off again readings.
Motors should run. People -- not so much.

1980 F26, Mercruiser 305
1979 14' Starcraft, 1957 18 hp Evinrude and '57 3hp Evinrude kicker