no oil pressure

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

mikeandanne
Moderate User

Re: no oil pressure

Post by mikeandanne »

It seems like you have already covered a lot of bases------ I have a question,did you happen to compare the oil pumps as to the length of the pump drives---- some of the automotive oil pumps with external pickup lines require a different drive gear with a longer shaft ---- the short one works for a while then rounds the end of the gear but only the gear ,that is why I first thought of that with the engine being just assembled ----- could be a lot of things though----- Mike
8lug

Post by 8lug »

yes i had the one that was already on the motor the one in question
then i had second one that i didnt know if it was good or not
when i swapped those around they were the same size and shape and both looked good
but when i ordered the 3rd one from autozone in the store it looked identical
but once i compared with the 2 old ones you could tell it was not the same at all
the gear was taller, the drive was longer, and the cast of the pump body was shaped a bit diff. also it had no cooler ports
that was at about 8 pm last night
i drove there twice yesterday for a grand total of 4 hours of driving
several hours of looking swapping testing and saying its gotta be something simple
boatsnbars

Post by boatsnbars »

I am confused. Are 440 oil pumps external mounted? Is the engine out of the boat? Is the pump your referring to mounted in the oil pan? The lines that go to the oil cooler usually come off the engine near the engine mounted oil filter fittings.
1988 Trojan F36, 2004 Palm Beach
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

boatsnbars wrote:I am confused. Are 440 oil pumps external mounted? Is the engine out of the boat? Is the pump your referring to mounted in the oil pan? The lines that go to the oil cooler usually come off the engine near the engine mounted oil filter fittings.
440 oil pumps are external ,driven from the cam thru a gear and drive ---- internal pump pickup screwed into the block----Mike
boatsnbars

Post by boatsnbars »

Mike thanks for clearing that up for me. Could it still be a loose/broken pick up tube in the oil pan?
1988 Trojan F36, 2004 Palm Beach
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

8lug wrote:..... fram ph8a .....
Funny, I meant to mention it in my post but forgot; every filter I've had fail was a Fram!. I don't use them anymore. Not bashing the whole brand, just my preference as a result. If your senders are all hooked up to a manifold of some sort like a "T" fitting, remove the fitting and inspect it for blockage as well as the presure switch and sender orifices. I've had one clogged with carpet fluff (don't ask me how). I caught it just before the owner was ready to haul the motor out. As stated above, you need to ensure the oil isn't saturated with fuel.

Given the benefit of the external pump, there are specs in the manual that you can confirm if you're confident in dismantling the pump and checking that the clearances are within spec. It's pretty self explanetory.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
8lug

Post by 8lug »

lol i sat in walmart calling all over trying to find a wix 51515
no one had it and i was looking at the fram and thought whats the chances of getting 2 bad filters in a row
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

Big D wrote:
8lug wrote:..... fram ph8a .....
Funny, I meant to mention it in my post but forgot; every filter I've had fail was a Fram!. I don't use them anymore.
+ 1 Fram filters have not been built well for decades. I stopped using them 25 years ago. If you want to see for yourself, check out this Youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRRgw4B7R-I. I've been using Mobil 1 filters and never had a problem. They cost more than Fram, but are a lot cheaper than rebuilding an engine.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I would not use fram filters . But I don't Believe thats your problem . If it was mine I would use AC filter PF-2 or the shorter PF-20 if room is a issue . Avoid the PF-2E & PF-20E the E is for economy most auto parts stores do not sell the E filters as they come in a bulk package. ( still better then fram IMO )

I use Fleetguard (Cummins oem ) or AC filters on my diesels . and AC on all gas boats I service and have owned .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
8lug

Post by 8lug »

nice.glad i read this before i left this morning.i will swing thru napa and get a different oil filter on my to the boat
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

I checked out a few of those oil filter videos, wow, Learn something everyday,I had no idea that a bad filter could stop oil flow like that,never come across that ----- I guess times change and everything gets made cheaper cheaper ---- now I just use mopar stuff which at last account was wix I believe---- Mike
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Just a thought, not being familiar with the 440. The 318's (different block entirely) come with either a stamped metal pan or a larger cast aluminum pan. One has total oil capacity 4 qts and the other 6 qts of oil add additional qt for filter. There is a difference in the oil pick up screen, the cast pan uses a deeper pickup screen, same pump, but, has longer pipe for pickup. If the engine was a quart low using the cast pan and a stamped pan pick up one could have the symptoms stated.

Just saying, as I have no idea if the 440s have the same kind of oil pan variances.

I wish all engines had external oil pump for easy access, however they another spot for leaks.
Last edited by larryeddington on Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

+1 more for avoiding FRAM.

I have been using Wix. Puralator is also decent.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
8lug

Post by 8lug »

WE HAVE OIL PRESSURE
i got to the boat and changed oil and filter first thing, that done nothing
i started checking for blocks, also found nothing
then along came jimmy
he said well i got a few of them oil pumps, hold on ill get you one
i had my old pump off by the time jimmy got back, so i took the new one apart and used his gear drive and my top piece with the cooler ports
packed it full of Vaseline and presto the pressure was back up to 60 psi
i learned a few things from this
1-just cause it looks shiny and pretty dont mean its a worth a crap
and 2- dont by fram filters
thank you to all that chimed in
and all that didnt but was trying to figure it out
btw those 440 big blocks are pretty sweet along with the f36
is by far fastest big boat ive owned
merry christmas
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Good stuff---- you got her solved ---- thanks for letting us know the outcome---- Mike