Shorepower indicator lights - Int'l

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BobCT
Active User

Shorepower indicator lights - Int'l

Post by BobCT »

I'm installing a selector switch so i connect my Microwave to either the inverter or normal AC. I removed the center electrical panel and brought it home. I'd like to finally get the indicator lights working while I have it apart.

I seem to recall someone posting that these were neon bulbs. Has anyone found any LED bulbs that work?

BTW, if you've never had your AC and/or DC panels removed I would recommend it. I found a couple of crappy connections and one of the primary AC feed wires is loose enough I could probably just pull it out.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
yorklyn
Active User

Re: Shorepower indicator lights - Int'l

Post by yorklyn »

I think their the same type of incadecent bulbs as are in the helm panel (indicator lights, bilge pump lights) but I'm not sure. I purchased some led lights from blue seas and was going to try to switch mine out at some point. How hard was it to remove the panel ? Sure must be a lot easier to work on with it removed. Let us know how you make out.
Good luck
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

My understanding is they are actually diodes, or there is a diode built into the polarity indicator.

I believe this is what you are looking for?

http://www.cmsquick.com/prod_11_LED_RET.html

as I recall, they are about $20 each plus $15 for shipping.

For me, for now, I simply have a three way plug indicator in the galley outlet 24/7.

http://www.idealindustries.com/products ... _check.jsp

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
kevinz

Post by kevinz »

to get the original neon ones go to Newark.com. It is a Arcolectric # H8630FBNAE neon indicator , green. It will say 250 volts, but works fine with 110 volts. While I was looking for the original neon ones, I went to West Marine and got two green LED indicator lites. I drilled a small hole in the back of the old neon ones and glued the LEDs in the housing. The LEDs are not as bright as the neon ones.
-1995 350 express
with big blues (454 Crusaders)
-2011 Caroling Skiff J-14 (Tohatsu 30hp four stroke)
-1996 Sea Ray SeaRayder jet (Merc 90hp)
-1990 BeachCat 20. Fiberglass pontoon (2013 Merc 60hp big foot)
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Personally I would switch to LEDs. LEDs vary in intensity so you should be able to find one that is comparable to the neon lamp you have now. I don't think your setup has a diode though there are some later applications utilizing LEDs that do. Not all LED applications require diodes though. Neons were great in their day but over time they dim and have a tendency to flicker with ever increasing lapses of actually being lit. An LED either works or it doesn't.

The following is the simplest diagram I could find that indicates how the circuit is wired. This particular version only has one lamp to indicate reverse polarity. A lamp to indicate normal conditions would be placed between the hot and neutral sources. I do not like single lamp types since the only lamp that is incorporated is the one to show a reverse polarity condition, otherwise no lamp is lit. If the lamp were burnt out and there was a problem, you wouldn't know it. With a two lamp system, you can through deductive reasoning draw some conclusions or at least be alerted to a lamp failure or the possibility of a reverse polarity condition even with no lit indicator which would normally mean no power. If that's the case and you are able to operate a device on board, you know you have power and a problem with at least one of the indicator lights. http://www.bluesea.com/support/technica ... Indicators

Note the paragraph about the resistor. This is very important and perhaps worth investigating your current circuitry to see if a resistor is incorporated in hopes of minimizing stay current issues.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Todd,

The panel was easy enough, just 6 screws and then you need to disconnect some wires if you want to completely remove it. I wanted to bring it home but you wouldn't have to if you just wanted to work on the lights.

The original is a an "Alco GT 33" which is referenced in the link that Harris posted. I'll call that company because the pic they have only shows two lights but the originals are three.

I'll look into some LED options as we'll. I'm not reinstalling it w/o coming up with something so I'll let you know. Thanks for the other replies....

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

This is why I love this site! Everyone here is so helpful!
Bob if you can find a original replacement please let me know. Although the idea of switching to led because of bulb life is appealing, not "re inventing the wheel" at this particular point in my renovation sounds even better! !
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Ok, let's see how helpful it is :)

I found some 120v LED's at radio shack today and tested them out. I pried the back of the old indicator and removed the neon bulbs. The LED's fit and would just need a dab of silicone to be permanent. I did and I think they'll be bright enough especially where the panel is located In the mid cabin.

I'm not quite sure how to wire them up permanently though. The old neon bulbs just have a single wire coming out of each bulb. The inside has a little circuit board and some resistors which appear to tie the three together. The three new LED's each have two wires.

I think I have the load/neutral wires figured out. I connected one wire from each LED to the white and black wires. I connected 120v and each one lit up. I'm not sure how to connect the 3rd LED though which is the green/ground wire...

Do I just tie both wires to the green? I actually tried that but of course it didn't light up but I don't think I had a fault condition. If that's correct, how would it get power if there was a fault and is there a way to test that? I'd like to test all possible faults on the bench and then I can post here.
1988 10m mid cabin
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Look at my link above. it shows how to hook up the fault LED. Why 3 lights? What does the third indicate? #1 = power, #2 = fault, #3 = ?
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

I saw that but it looks like a single LED does everything. In the factory setup there's one light for HOT, one for NEUTRAL and one for GROUND. This is for each shorepower leg (#1 and #2) so a total of 6 bulbs.

On the panel, there's a legend which shows all the possible combinations of the 3 lights and the corresponding fault code.
1988 10m mid cabin
jhalb
Moderate User

Post by jhalb »

This is the AC schematic for my 10 meter. It shows the shore power monitor diagnostic code.
Attachments
AC Schmatic.JPG
AC Schmatic.JPG (117.73 KiB) Viewed 7868 times
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

John,

Thanks, that's also imprinted on the panel itself. So after screwing around with the LED's, I ordered the ones that Harris posted. They're only two bulb displays though so the legend on the panel becomes useless.

Now I'm thinking of just remaking the whole panel so the indicator lights will have the right size hole and it'll look brand new. Mine's not in great shape anyway.

I'll let you guys know what I do.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

I'm thinking of just remaking the whole panel
Then you might try these folks. Downright reasonable in price, and the quality is great. Add any custom engraving that you want, with any hole dimension or shape. I use them for work all of the time.

http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

That looks like a really good option. I'm going to download the software and price it out. Stand by, maybe I'll have some panels you guys can buy w/o any design (or not much).

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
swampman

Post by swampman »

I found a relatively simple fix for the obsolete polarity indicators. I purchased the sperry brand outlet checkers at my local menards , broke them apart and took out the bulbs and resistors and potted them into the old indicator housings with hot glue . Installed insulated spade connectors in the wires hanging out the back and on fuse panel wiring . Working great so far.