Shaft Packing

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Lawman
Moderate User

Shaft Packing

Post by Lawman »

Good Morning Gentlemen (and ladies) I plan on re-packing my stuffing box's and have read that my 1" shafts will take 1/4" packing but was tight to put in. I've also read that 1" shafts should take 3/16" packing ??? Just wondering if I should buy both and try both ? Any input would be appreciated. I know members have used GFO but have any of you ever tried Duramx Ultra-X ?
1973 F30 Clean Machine
' Goomar '
(Italian for 'my mistress')

"It's only an island if you look at it from the water" -- Chief Brody
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Shaft Packing

Post by larryeddington »

Repacked my 1 inch V-drives shafts, used 1/4 inch graphite cord. Held 3 layers of packing. I made a tool of pvc by cutting a 4 inch peace and removing a section so it could snap over the shaft and then tamp each layer into the gland, then tighten the packing nut, worked perfectly. Use pvc that is about 1 inch ID to make the tool. I did it while in the water, turns out the shaft hole is 1/16 inch larger than shaft. We calculated water incursion and it was negligible, without packing 8) . Any bypass was dumped by bilge pump. Easy job other than it was on V drives, ugh. :shock:

Someone posted a sizing chart on this site a while back but I don't have it on this computer it recommended 1/4 inch packing and cannot locate it on site. Don't know about the Durmax product.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
Lawman
Moderate User

Post by Lawman »

Thanks for the reply Larry, I did see Prowlersfish's chart from last summer and he stated 1/4" for a 1" shaft but I believe "The Dog House" did his with 1/4" and he said it was very tight?? But others have used 3/16". Just want to make sure of the size before I order it. I do plan on making that little tool you mentioned out of PVC, that sounds good!!!
1973 F30 Clean Machine
' Goomar '

larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

I used 1/4 inch and it was tight 3 layers only, and could get nut started, using the tool packed it with a brass hammer tapping on end of tool. Worked perfectly.
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

There was a thread on this topic called "Stuffing Box Cord Sizing" last Summer. Prowlersfish posted the following list in that thread:

1" uses 1/4" packing
1 1/8" shaft uses 3/16" packing
1 1/4" shaft uses 1/4" packing
1 3/8" shaft uses 5/16" packing
1 1/2" shaft uses 1/4" packing
1 3/4" shaft uses 1/2" packing
2" shaft uses 3/8" packing
2 1/4" shaft uses 7/16" packing
2 1/2" shaft uses 5/16" packing
3" shaft uses 9/16" packing

I have a 1" shaft and used 1/4" packing. I put three rings of GFO in the stuffing box using the PVC tool described. They fit but were tight to get in. If you don't want it to be so tight, only use two rings instead of three. Do not use 3/16". The 3/16" will not be big enough to span the distance between the nut and the shaft and you will have leakage.

I highly recommend using three rings of 1/4" GFO. After proper adjustment, I have 1 drop every 10 seconds at running speed and absolutely no leakage when the shaft is not moving. Even with the GFO you want some leakage while the shaft is spinning.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

1" calls for 1/4 packing . For some reason the GFO / goretex seems to be a liltle tighter then the std packing . I doulble checked my chart to make sure . My info came from Buckalgonquin
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Lawman
Moderate User

Post by Lawman »

Thanks guys. Dog House, thats the thread I was reading where you mentioned the tight fit but I will go with the 1/4". You guys are great !!
1973 F30 Clean Machine
' Goomar '

BarryL
Sporadic User

Post by BarryL »

Do you have a tool to dig the old packing out? They sell them at West marine for a few bucks and it makes it easy to dig in and remove the old packing before you add the new stuff. When I couldn't find my tool I used a spring removal tool I found at Harbor Freight.

When you cut the packing cut it on a 45 degree angle so when it is installed the ends mate and overlap (Sort of)

It's an easy job with the right tools and can be done in the water without too much fuss.

Good luck

Barry
I love my boat! It takes all of my money and doesn't bitch.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Suggestion. Use a piece of one in ch woodden dowel. Wrap packing around and make your diagonal cut. Worked well for me. Using a dowel allows you to cut on workbench and not bent over in the boat. As I recall there was just enough packing material for three rings, but little or no extra.
Last edited by larryeddington on Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

larryeddington wrote:Suggestion. Use a piece of one in ch woodden dowel. Wrap packing around and make your diagonal cut. Worked well for me.
Or wrap it around the shaft itself for the cuts - just be careful about scoring the shaft. You can also use a small corkscrew (or an old one stretched out a bit) to help pick out the old packing.
Lawman
Moderate User

Post by Lawman »

All great suggestions !! thank you. I plan on going to Harbor Freight for a set of picks that they sell. I'm going to do it on the hard in the Spring then have them splash it. I read only to hand tighten initially, I was wondering how much water I'll get once it's splashed. Is it a dribble or should I be there when the boat is put in??
1973 F30 Clean Machine
' Goomar '

Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Hand tighten, then give it an extra half turn, and adjust after launch. You'll likely have to re-tighten after your first run so don't forget to inspect after that. You won't get much water after she's splashed. Having said that, you need to ensure your bilge pumps are working, but that's just normal practice anyway. I always recommend that folks plan to visit their vessel at least the same day of the launch after she's in. Some marinas have good launch practices, others, not so much. There's only one person that I trust to ensure everything is still okay after launch and that's myself!
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Make sure you can turn the shaft by hand after packing .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

Also make sure the locking nut is tight against the packing nut. A right hand shaft is trying to unscrew the packing nut and will if the locking nut is not tight against it. For a left hand shaft there's much less to worry about, since the shaft is trying to tighten the nut against the locking nut. It would make a lot more sense to use a left hand thread for right hand shafts so the shaft is trying to tighten the nut against the locking nut, but that's not how they do it. :roll:
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The Dog House wrote:Also make sure the locking nut is tight against the packing nut. A right hand shaft is trying to unscrew the packing nut and will if the locking nut is not tight against it. For a left hand shaft there's much less to worry about, since the shaft is trying to tighten the nut against the locking nut. It would make a lot more sense to use a left hand thread for right hand shafts so the shaft is trying to tighten the nut against the locking nut, but that's not how they do it. :roll:

They do make them . But do it right its not needed .
http://catalog.buckalgonquin.com/viewit ... and-thread?
I like the type with the 2 bolts my self
http://catalog.buckalgonquin.com/viewit ... gland-type
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels