New cabin vinyl turning pink!!!

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

yorklyn
Active User

New cabin vinyl turning pink!!!

Post by yorklyn »

Well apparently my reputation as the "Murphy's Law" poster child is well deserved! I have used three different vinyls in my cabin. bright white for headliner, fine. off white for salon and aft cabin walls, its fine as well. I decided to replace the seat bases for the dinette and aft cabin and redo the stateroom vinyl so i ordered a third off white/light tan vinyl. I recovered the seat bases last summer and installed them and recovered the shelves that mount on both sides of the v-berth the same time and stored them at my house. I had a second roll of vinyl stored at my shop all winter and just recently finished the front stateroom with it and it looked fine. had not really paid much attention to the seat bases but when I was bringing the shelves in I set one on the seat base and was shocked, the entire base had turned pink! upon closer inspection I found everything that had been previously installed had turned pink!The pieces I had stored at my house were fine! the boat has been in my shop for 5 yrs, its completely dry , I sanded all of the old adhesive off prior to putting the new stuff on and had no issues with any mold, mildew or pinkness with the old vinyl. I was planning on just "dealing " with the bases for now and replacing them in the future since they are mostly hidden by the cushions. I installed the shelves a few weeks ago and when I looked at them today they are starting to turn!!! as of today the vinyl I installed in the cabin from the roll that sat in my shop all winter is fine (the roll was the exact same stuff as the pink stuff but it was shipped to me in two rolls since I ordered so much!) It the stuff on the walls starts to change I'm going to loose it! I can not even begin to explain the amount of effort it would take to remove , reprep and redo everything!
AHHHHHH!
I spent hours researching this and found out this

The Pink Stain Phenomenon
A message from one of our manufacturers
“To prevent replacing your upholstery, we recommend the following: Regular washing with
mild detergent and warm water or vinyl cleaners is sufficient to keep the cushion and vinyl
coverings in good condition. Keep the cushion from becoming soaked, and dry thoroughly after
washing to prevent mildew accumulations when the boat is covered. Prop up the cushions in the
boat when it is covered to take advantage of air circulation. Spray with a mildew repellent.
While your vinyl is made to withstand the elements, it is important to care for it by keeping it
clean at all times. Many substances may stain your vinyl if left untouched over a period of time.
Remember to remove any contaminant and clean vinyl immediately. Our vinyls are made to
withstand the effects of sun, heat, acid rain and soiling, under normal conditions.
Please consult the following cleaning recommendations before cleaning your upholstery:
Certain household cleaners, powdered abrasives, steel wool, and industrial cleaners can cause
damage and discoloration. These are not recommended for use. Dry cleaning fluids and lacquer
solvents should not be used as they will remove the printed pattern and gloss. Waxes are not
recommended because many contain dyes and solvents that can permanently damage the
protective coating. In some instances, consumers have reported the appearance of a pink stain
on vinyl that is resistant to various cleaning methods. Our lab tests indicate that the pink stain
has been present in the past, but it becomes more visible to the naked eye whenever the
whitest-white vinyls are used. This is true regardless of manufacturer or vendor.
Our company has chosen a white that reduces the appearance of the pink stain but retains as
much of the lightest white we can use. Although there can be other causes for pink staining in
vinyls, most pink stains are caused by dyes produced by micro-organisms. These dyes are
metabolic products of the micro-organisms, otherwise known as a form of fungi. It is virtually
impossible for consumers to avoid these micro-organisms as they exist in the atmosphere. It is
also more prevalent in high-humidity areas. Rain can cleanse the air with the result that the
micro-organisms are deposited on items such as marine vinyl. While the vinyl is treated to resist
the growth of micro-organisms meaning the vinyl is not a food source), the stain results from
failure to properly clean and maintain the vinyl. This means that after use, the upholstery must
be cleaned with a soft brush and warm soapy water, followed by a thorough rinse with clean
water. If this procedure is not followed, the micro-organisms can find the marine vinyl to be a
suitable host site. This situation is worsened if the boat is stored without proper ventilation or if
the boat cover is put on while the vinyl is still wet, creating a situation in which all forms of fungi
(mold and mildew) thrive. The organism causing the pink stain has been identified by the
Burlington Scientific Corporation as Streptoverticillium reticulum, although there are other
strains of organisms that can cause stains.
Failure to follow these instructions in the proper care of upholstery can cause your warranty to
be voided! The cleaning table presented in this frequently asked question section is offered only
as a suggestion and as an aid in attempting to deal with stains. We cannot guarantee that the
cleaning methods will work. Stains from any external source are unlikely to be covered by
warranty.”

The only cleaner or product that claims to be able to remove this stuff is a new product http://www.pink-away.com
I emailed the guy last night and got this response:

Hi Todd,
Oh my, I've never seen it so wide spread before. You must have been seriously disappointed! But the good news is I think our product can help.

Btw: We would really appreciate some "after" pictures.

How high is the humidity? You want to rent/borrow/buy a dehumidifier while treating the vinyl (or maybe all the time). Lower humidity will help kill the bacteria and allow our product to work better.

That vinyl looks like same we had on our boat. Which did have some general stain like that and some nasty spots too.

Be sure to test on an inconspicuous spot first, over night with a heavy dab of product to make sure it's compatible with your vinyl.

If you have any spare strips of vinyl that are stained, I'd love to get a sample. I could trade you some product for them... Meanwhile...

I'd suggest you get a 4oz bottle and treat one seat and couple trim pieces completely. Then move on to the others. You don't want to run out and stop treatment before the stains are gone.

You will probably need more cleaner, although a little goes a long ways...

Note, some UV light will help wipe out the last vestiges of stains at the end. Our product can keep removing stains for sometime after the stains appear to be gone.

You can expect between 3 and 10 or more treatments depending on a lot of factors.

Place an order and we will ship it right away. Sorry but we are out of samples and test kits. We have 2oz and 4oz bottles right now.

Fill free to call us at the number below.

Thanks!

My problem is a 4oz bottle cost $58.95 and only does 4sqft! I'll end up spending more on cleaner than I did on the vinyl.

As a last ditch "long shot " attempt I pulled the dinette base and sprayed one corner with tilex mildew remover, another with amazon mildew remover (non chlorine) another with spray 9 (germ/bacteria killer) and another area with a mold killer I got at home depot. sprayed before I left for the evening and didnt wipe off. will check and probably cry tomorrow! here are a few pics. its a consistent pink over the entire area. Oddly the vinyl was not pink under the washers and where the seat back was screwed in tight against wood, you can actually see the line.
Any Suggestions????
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: New cabin vinyl turning pink!!!

Post by prowlersfish »

That's crazy
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Whats crazy is reading some of the comments made by professional installers. apparently this happens quite a bit. check this out
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Pink-Bea ... .143720896
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
jhalb
Moderate User

Post by jhalb »

Just tell everyone that it's salmon, not pink. :lol:
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

First and foremost Todd, do not let this bum you out! Keep the faith that you will complete this project and get that boat wet this year. Solve this problem like you have sooooo many others and keep going. In survival situations (and boat remodeling), a positive mental outlook is imperative.

Enough of the pep talk. I have had good luck on stubborn mold issues with Mold Armor. Readily available wherever toxic chemical cleaners are sold, and not terribly expensive. Best of luck.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Todd,

I just read everything, holy crap. I never heard of this problem until now. My dinette cushions are tan but the bottoms definitely have a pinkish color to them. Wonder if it bleeds through if it's covered up? There are lots of vinyl dyes, that might be option. Not a good one but less work than a tear out :(

I used exterior paint on the 3 vinyl panels inside the radar arch. I did that two years ago and it looks like new. Since it's got a texture, I used a foam brush and you could never tell.

Maybe worth a quick test while you're figuring out your options..... Ugh.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Thanks Guys,
P-dog thanks ,trying to stay positive but I cant stand it when I do everything by the book and it still turn to crap. I hate the fact that through my research on this ,no one really knows exactly why it happens to just some vinyl or how to prevent it. may give the mold armor a try since its bleach based, thanks. Bob, im considering paint in the stateroom if the rest starts to turn. now I'm concerned that if it is Streptoverticillium reticulum, a bacteria, will it contaminate the good vinyl??? I dont mind hitting road blocks while Im trying to fix something but I hate finding out stuff like this after I finish. OH well, at least it looks like I wont run out of things to do any time soon!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
BarryL
Sporadic User

Post by BarryL »

Todd,

a few comments about the "Pink"

I had that in the past but never knew what the source was until doing a lot of research.

Didn't matter what I tried as far as cleaners go that Pink was here to stay because it was more or less "poop" from some damn critter we couldn't see. The best thing for it is Sun Light (Sun Light is a natural Oxidizer that will try and get rid of the stains and it will also remove moisture which is what the Bacteria thrives on)
and believe it or not "Neo Sporin" Rub some NeoSporin (man made anti-Bacterial) into the vinyl and let it sit over night (6-8 hrs)then clean the vinyl with what you normally would to remove the slime that the NeoSproin leaves behind.

No Guarantees but it has worked for me in the past. It wouldn't hurt to add some Ammonia and some Vinegar to the mix of cleaning products. It's amazing how much we have been spoiled by main stream marketing and have forgotten the basics.

Don't ask me how I stumbled on to this but rest assured I spent a lot of time examining the situation.

I don't expect that you will find any "Magic" in a bottle to remove the Pink without some effort but I can tell you that some time in direct Sun will make the pink almost unnoticeable to all but the untrained eye and it will also save you countless hours of manual labor and save you as many countless hours in search of a magical cure on the internet.

I for one would be more than Happy to come East and help you catch up from this latest setback

Good Luck and let me know if I can help in any way.

Barry
I love my boat! It takes all of my money and doesn't bitch.
wolfnnj
Sporadic User

Post by wolfnnj »

Go to http://www.aramsco.com and get a product called foster 40/80 it is an antimicrobial disinfectant it will get rid of the pink.
I had the same problem with my uv coated vinyl seats at the helm and this product worked great. My friend had little black spots on his vinyl and this product worked for him too.
1971 F-26 w/ 350 Crusader and Paragon PV-31 V-drive.
1968 MFG Westfield w/ Evinrude 50
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Wow...sorry to hear they discolored. That's crazy...let us know how your product works and if it clears up.

On a brighter note, you'll be a hit with the ladies! :lol:
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Wolfnnj, thanks. Just called and ordered a 5 gallon bucket! I also ordered 4oz of the pink-away product and their giving me a 2oz trial size free. JoDee at pink- away has been very helpful in answering my questions . she seemed to think the product would work with limited applications. I took the dinnett back and base yesterday and sprayed the hell out of it with tilex with bleach. I realize the bleach is doing harm to the vinyl but I had to try something! It actually removed about 90% of the stains and after rinising the vinyl I applied 303 protectant and it appears to be ok for now. Tried on those pieces since other than pulling about 1500 monel staples, they are easy to recover. I'm hoping for some success with one of these other products as I really am hesitate to use bleach on such a large scale.
Jamie, if I thought the ladies would actually like it I would leave it alone! LOL!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

JESUS - that is CRAZY!!!

I feel your pain!
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

After tilex
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

Now that you have it clean - I recommend using NuVinyl to seal it. They have it at auto stores and ace hardware. Works good!
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

The Foster 40/80 arrived yesterday, all 5 gallons of it! I tried it on a seat base from the aft cabin . I only did one application and let it dry. looks like it lightened the pink color some.I think I am going to do a few more applications . Just an fyi , the foster 40/80 is a hell of a disinfectant, I was really impressed when I read the data sheet for this stuff, it kills tons of viruses and bacteria's!
The 6 ounces of Pink away arrived today but it need to be applied above 60 degrees so I need to wait a bit longer. Was organizing my left over vinyl today and found that even the scrap has turned Pink! (just the one roll)
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea