someone did it

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

trojanmanXS
Moderate User

someone did it

Post by trojanmanXS »

Well I did a search and found someone that had changed an 1978 f26 to an outboard. Questions I have for you pros here :lol: The fella that did it states it goes 38 mph with the outboard. You can see from the video he appears to jump on plane pretty quick. This being said what in your opinion would be the least hp outboard to get this boat onto plane? I'm sure the thought of 250hp=38mph 125hp=19mph has a hiccup I'm not seeing.
second question if I can get the pic up. The owner removed pretty much all of the back stern wall. I'm only assuming it was merely to allow easy in and out of water / dock ect. I think and haven't verified yet that the pod is somewhere around a 36"setback. alright let me know what the math works up here , curious to get some input.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrpPZY8b2hY
Attachments
trojan outboard.jpg
trojan outboard.jpg (70.77 KiB) Viewed 7926 times
Nancy
Moderate User

Re: someone did it

Post by Nancy »

No transom?!?!? :shock: :shock: :shock: No, thank you!!
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

It looks like the stern was reinforced quite a bit. I don't see why you couldn't have a transom. The engine is back far enough that a transom wouldn't interfere with the turning of the outboard.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Really depends on what they did to what's left of the transom. Unless there is a removable drop in door, I see a falling overboard hazard while underway though. Nothing there to prevent it. Also doesn't look like the rest of the hole is covered where the control cables enter the hull. Looks like they're having a good time though.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
trojanmanXS
Moderate User

Post by trojanmanXS »

I'm leaning more towards leaving the stern wall as is. So anyone have any ideas/guesses as to what hp would be required to get it onto plane?
there must be a formula for it just don't have a clue here.
gitchisum
Moderate User

Post by gitchisum »

Interesting configuration!! If this is a 1978, it is not an F-26, but a F-25 EC. 9 foot beam and 4800lb dry weight.

I would not put anything less than a 175hp ob on, as you need need the torque for hole shot.
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

Nancy wrote:No transom?!?!? :shock: :shock: :shock: No, thank you!!
Looks pretty dumb to me - what is to prevent people from falling over?? I wouldn't have complained if I saw some stainless steel bars or something!

This boat would sink in Lake Michigan.
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

trojanmanXS wrote:I'm leaning more towards leaving the stern wall as is.....
Still has to be reinforced. They are not designed to handle that kind of weight hanging off them or deal with the stresses involved while underway. Nor are they designed to take the load needed to push the boat forward. You'll start seeing cracks at the corners soon after a few good runs, a few decent swells will make it happen much sooner. If you're going to do it, do it right, overkill if you have to.....can't be too safe.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
trojanmanXS
Moderate User

Post by trojanmanXS »

thanks for the input. what the plans are is to beef up the inside back of stern and neighbor that runs a machine shop said we can hook onto the main stringers behind the fuel tank and angle them upwards to connect to the stern reinforcement. yes overkill I understand very well. :lol: So now it looks like I'll be parting out all original engine stuff. will have the wet exhaust,sleeves and elbows as well as the prop shaft ,prop ,and prop strut, steering lines, hydraulic steering piston? ,gas tank, transmission, throttle/fuel controls ect ect ect . am going to sell it all off to help purchase the "pod" I need to order. anyone looking for spare parts lemme know whats a fare price and we'll get it out come spring " our spring isn't coming for another month I figure" :evil:
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

"Yamaha LF250XCA Outboard Motor MSRP: $25, 530.00" tons of work needed to reinforce the transom on a inboard powered boat to strengthen it enough to accept an outboard. its alot to invest when you could probably purchase a newer outboard powered boat for less.
Just my 2 cents! :D
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
trojanmanXS
Moderate User

Post by trojanmanXS »

heavens no I wouldn't be spending that kind of money. I have a brother that owns an outboard sales/repair business here. Plans are to purchase one from him either at cost or buy a used one that he deems in good working condition. I can get a 2005 130hp Yamaha for about 3k but want to make sure that engine would get it onto plane. Point here with this setup is our marina "directly" across the street has a shallow channel in and out . then coupled with any problems with an outboard I have a close relative "brother" that will help with any issues , unlike an inboard problem that will automatically costs me what $60 per hour labor min. and I would have to get the broke boat to the other marina if it were inboard. Don't really care about speed as much as a reliable powerplant.
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Someone did it to one of our "stepbrothers"!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
csnyder

Post by csnyder »

If my engines go I am going to slap on a couple of battery operated trolling motors to my swim platform. I fear it will never get on plain however. :D transom is a must. A following sea and "woosh"
1970 42.5ft
"Devious Curse"
Sea Voyager
"Ahoy, Polloi. Where did you just come from, a scotch ad?"
(Spaulding Smails)