5 year plan

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

trojanmanXS
Moderate User

5 year plan

Post by trojanmanXS »

well coming into year five this spring on owning a Trojan boat. Still has not seen water and wife is very patient with the project. I hope to have all loose ends tied up this summer and plans are to have in the water 2015. Funds have been the main issue with the delay but its still nice to sit in there and putter. This is the summer of paint, plans are to get all prepped above the rubrail and get painted along with the engine compartment. I have piled all pics "in no special order" onto a video to help detail what this boat was and what its slowly becoming.
lol yeah five years is to long but until I get the lucky lotto ticket it will be a slow but fun adventure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAsdam8 ... OJJRXtaI6Q
Bubbabuda
Sporadic User

Re: 5 year plan

Post by Bubbabuda »

Don't loose your drive. We owned ours for 5 years before she got wet. We stripped back to just a shell. Repaired or replaced 95% of original. Trully a labor of love. Would not trade her for anything. Spent many days working, but when finished that particular project what a great feeling!!!! Made it easier to keep going. Only downside, you never finish, there is always something to do to make her nicer.
1967 seavoyager
Moderate User

Post by 1967 seavoyager »

I had mine in the water 4 years then started working on it. After 11 years in the barn i went in last year. I now have the entire aft deck out & getting more work done. Hoping to be in by May 1st. Get the work done you need to get in the water, & then do some more every year. Enjoy your boat while you're catching up, you'll never be totally done so go boating & work on it a little at a time. Check out my photobucket page.
They'll pry a rotten plank from my cold dead fingers before i go "Tupperware". http://www.photobucket.com/restless
seavoyager36@hotmail.com

"Restless"
1967 Trojan 36' Sea Voyager Express
pilgrim32

Post by pilgrim32 »

Going on 5 years also that I owed my boat. So much to fix or replace but were do you start. I agree with the comment mentioned, fix what's needed to get her in the water. There is nothing like seeing these gem's floating. May the work Begin :idea:
pilgrim32
1978 F-26 HT
Plymouth.MA
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36731885@N07/
trojanmanXS
Moderate User

Post by trojanmanXS »

nice boats and projects I'm seeing here. I came to terms the first year that this would be a project. Under conditions of our marina with such a shallow channel coupled with the fact I will be traveling no more then 10 miles from our dock there is nowhere I need to be on that river in 20 mins so as such I am comfortable with an outboard . I also realize the value of the boat will drop due to the new configuration from original but never planned on getting my money out of it anyway. lol will get some pics as it progresses but since were still knee deep in snow and no spring in site it will still be some time before I get in there .
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

I believe that its best to do the work required to get it in the water and operating and then do the detail work later. The first reason for this thinking is that you get rewarded for the for the work you've done to get the boat in by using it. The second reason is that by using the boat, you get to see which detail ideas are required and which detail ideas might need to be rethought before investing time and money into them.

That's my 2 cents, :wink:
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB