1987 Trojan by Bertram 10M Sedan Batteries

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Late Start

1987 Trojan by Bertram 10M Sedan Batteries

Post by Late Start »

Hello Members,

I've just acquired the above Type boat (have had two F23's in my past) and need to sanitize a messed-up and incomplete Battery complex. Could anyone help me learn which of the three batteries in the stock location actually serves as the House Battery. I'm about to try tracing it all out today, but from my experience last night, nothing is appearing logical. At least for now, I will hold off on purchasing the complete Manual related to my HUll ID number...just need to get a handle on the original Trojan charging system and battery configuration. Many Thanks in advance.
Late Start

Re: 1987 Trojan by Bertram 10M Sedan Batteries

Post by Late Start »

Ooops..meant to say F32's, not F23's.
jhalb
Moderate User

Post by jhalb »

on my 83 the house is split between the outer batteries and the genny is wired to the center one.
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

My mid cabin doesn't have a generator so my third battery didn't do anything. It was brand new when I bought the boat and the owner said he was replacing it every 2-3 years. I traced the wiring and it wasn't connected to anything! Wonder how many batteries he replaced that never got charged or used.

Yes, house is split between port and Stb engine start batteries.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
Late Start

Post by Late Start »

Many Thanks Gentlemen...understood...as you both described the House Battery set-up.

Do you have any feelings about the Factory installed CHARGER? That is, in your experience, does it behave itself while charging and not 'cook' the two connected P&S Starting Batteries? (I've found a separate pair, Red & Yellow, which I conclude is for the Centrally Located Generator Starting Battery).
willietrojan
Moderate User

Post by willietrojan »

Just FYI.

Your title says Trojan by Bertram, Bertram had nothing to doing with building Trojans. The only thing that connected them was the holding company Whittaker Marine Group
WillieTrojan (Owned F32, Willpower in Kinsale, Va)
Spanish Fort, Al

Looking for 33 International
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

if you have the original charge I would replace it. I have the original charger in my 1987 10 meter mid cabin and I have been researching new ones. the old one works but I was always adding water throughout the season . New "smart " battery charges are the way to go. I going for a 3 bank 30amp (or 40?) charger. Ruled out xantrex and believe it or not "charles" due bad reviews. Mastervolt seems to be rated good as does pro mariner. I'm still doing my research.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

One of the first upgrades I did was to remove the dumb charger and install a smart one.

Mine is a Xantrex circa 2000-2001.

It independently senses, charges and floats all three batteries and has an LED indicator on the helm.

The addition of a three bank voltmeter completes the package and keeps me from ever having a problem at sea.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I've installed many ProNauticP series chargers in the last couple of years and have had two failures; one bad out of the box, the other due to a lightening strike at a marina soon after the install. They have a good track record with me.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Late Start

Post by Late Start »

Many Thanks, Gentlemen..

One last question: Where is the standard Factory Charger located ? That is to say, the one controlled by the dedicated breaker in the AC side of the stock Electrical panel. (I hear the 'hum' coming from within the engine room, but can't actually find it!

Regards.