Original/vintage BLUE bottom paint color name?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Hart
Sporadic User
Location: Either at home on Wixom Lake or on the Big Pond in Manistee.

Original/vintage BLUE bottom paint color name?

Post by Hart »

I've done some cursory looking and have not been able to find the original OEM (or something pretty close) brand/color name of the blue paint on my 1979 F36. I think it's the only coating I didn't ask the PO about, and I'm pretty sure he painted the bottom when he had the boat.

I want to maintain the same color, as I've always had a soft spot for the blue-bottomed Trojans (as well as the fact that it's been my favorite color since childhood, thanks to watching Jacques Cousteau with dad every Sunday night..........it's the color of the ocean).

I've heard it called "Bahama Blue", "Olympic Blue", etc. Does anyone know if this is in fact the original color (I'm guessing it's the same color, but newer paint)? If so, what color/brand might this paint be? I'd like to give her a coat this season, then in two years soda blast and re-do entirely. Any help would be appreciated. Photo below.

BTW, on a somewhat unrelated note (my thread, I'm hijacking it of my own volition) I finally just broke down and replaced my original Boat Leveler pump and hoses, and now have a spankin' new trim tab system (other than the tabs themselves) that's fully functional (got the pump on Amazon for about $187, which was dirt cheap compared to everyplace else). It was, in fact, the pump.

1979 F36 Convertible "Hart's Desire"
w/twin Chrysler 440s and a ton o' teak

2006 Aqua Patio 220 RE
Evinrude E-Tec 75hp
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Original/vintage BLUE bottom paint color name?

Post by captainmaniac »

Make your life easy and just go with the blue from Interlux. If not an exact match, likely darn close. What is more important is to know what kind of antifouling (hard, soft, ablative, etc) you have on there right now - its like latex vs oil in a house (what sticks to what), but instead of 2 options there are way more !

Picking a colour is one thing, but picking something that you can safely paint over top vs having to strip EVERYTHING down to bare gelcoat before priming and painting is the bigger question. Been there. Done that. Cost 100 hours and $1000 in paint to transition to what I wanted on the bottom.
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

I agree go with the blue from Interlux.

It goes on dark but then it lightens up.

BTW nice F36!
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
Hart
Sporadic User

Post by Hart »

It's an ablative coating, I'm quite certain. Thanks for the replies (and compliment) fellas.

2006 Aqua Patio 220 RE
Evinrude E-Tec 75hp
Hart
Sporadic User

Post by Hart »

FYI, you guys were spot on. The Interlux "blue" (just..........."Blue", that's all it's called) was right on the money. After a month in the water, the color is exactly as it was last year.

PLUS, the trim tab motor replacement was what the doctor ordered. The tabs are back in full function mode, and Hart's Desire is firing on all cylinders (except for the port neutral slot that allows the engines to start getting a little finicky on the bridge helm).

Hope everyone is enjoying the early boating season thus far. I know we on the Big Pond are enjoying an additional foot of water already over last year. We won't hit high water till mid/late July, but so far...............so good!

2006 Aqua Patio 220 RE
Evinrude E-Tec 75hp
8lug

Post by 8lug »

Very nice f36 convertible
I cant wait till mine is in this shape
I wish i had the teak floor in the cockpit and teak rails
And 3 of those teak hatch covers for the inside
URL=http://s1267.photobucket.com/user/Harts ... b.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
Hart
Sporadic User

Post by Hart »

Thanks, I appreciate the compliment. The PO had all the custom wood work done. It certainly makes the boat unique!

2006 Aqua Patio 220 RE
Evinrude E-Tec 75hp