Internationals: How Dry Are Your Bilges?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

RWS
Ultimate User

Internationals: How Dry Are Your Bilges?

Post by RWS »

The International 10 meter express (not mid cabin) features a hull liner.

These boats have three factory bilges, forward, engine room, aft.

The engine room bilge is isolated, the fwd and aft bilge are "connected" via the common area that connects the two under the liner - between the liner and the hull.

Just want to compare notes with y'all regarding how dry (relatively speaking) your bilges are and how much difference you might see when carrying full tanks of fuel, water, payload, etc.

THANKS !

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
srokag44
Sporadic User

Re: Internationals: How Dry Are Your Bilges?

Post by srokag44 »

Is the bilge setup on the sedan the same as the express?
1985 Trojan 10 Meter International Sedan
Flyboy
Sporadic User

Post by Flyboy »

I always seem to have a little water in all 3 bilges. My air conditioner condenser drains into my forward bilge. Except for the forward bilge, there never seems to be enough water to make the pumps run. I think some of the water comes from one of the engine strainers, I think a gasket leaks, I have tighten them but always looks wet.
1981 10 meter Trojan International
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

On my mid cabin, I only get water in the forward bilge (across from the head) from AC condensation. For the past two seasons, I extended the hose and stick it into a Tupperware container when I'm running the AC. Then I empty it once a day. I'll setup a shower sump/pump at some point but this works for now.

The only other place I consistently get water is right at the engine room bulkhead. After fixing everything, I finally figured out its from rainwater running down the bilge exhaust hoses. It took being in the engine room during a heavy rain to figure that out. I made sure my hoses are now positioned to dump the water into the engine side of the stringer and not behind it under the gas tank(s). There's really no where for it to go if it gets trapped there.

I ran a hose from my shower drain pump and now I "vacuum" this out on a pretty regular basis.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
jhalb
Moderate User

Post by jhalb »

My AC drains into my shower sump. I always have a small amount of water in my forward bilge after a long run.
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express
FLRAVEN

Post by FLRAVEN »

My forward bilge is the only one that really collects water. Although I have drilled a drain hole through the liner in the lazarette so all of the rain water drains to the forward bilge. The port engine room bilge is dry because the pipe that connects it to the center bilge through the stringer isn't sealed properly. The starboard one is sealed properly and collects some water from the shaft seal after a run. I may make the starboard bilge more like the port bilge so that all of the water heads to the forward bilge. My A/C condensate drain connects to the shower sump.
1987 Trojan 10 Meter Express
1974 23' Prowler
1981 11' Boston Whaler
comodave
Moderate User

Post by comodave »

If you connect your engine area to the entire bilge, when you get an oil leak, it will migrate all through the boat...
Trojan has been sold
1987 President 41 DC 225 Lehmans
Au Gres, Michigan
Bimmerbill

Post by Bimmerbill »

I get a lot of water in the engine/cockpit bilges. I'm working on sealing the hatches where the seats mount so I think that will help a lot.
1984 Trojan 10 Meter International Express Cruiser
"The Help Desk"
Portsmouth NH/Kittery ME