shorepower switch saga

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BobCT
Active User

shorepower switch saga

Post by BobCT »

This has been an epic battle all because I had old tape when I labeled the wires.....

I'll spare all of the details but finding a replacement shore power switch that provides the 1 or 1&2 function has proved impossible. Todd sent me countless pics which led to ordering a switch from Kraus & Naimer. I've sent it back twice and they modified it both times to no avail. We finally both gave up and they refunded my money. So, here's my question of the day.

Since I never once used the selector anyway, I can just as easily eliminate it all together. I always left it in the 1/2 position and used a "Y" adapter on the shorepower end when I wanted to connect one 30a cord. That works great.

There are four black/load wires in question. One each connects to L1 and L2 on the panel and one goes to each Main breaker. If I tie all four together, isn't that the same as having the switch in the 1/2 position (distribute power across all breakers from both feeds)? I actually did a quick test and it works. Both meters show 120v and everything on the boat has power. Is there any issue having the two breakers tied together which I think they effectively were through the switch?

thanks
Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: shorepower switch saga

Post by prowlersfish »

DO NOT TIETHE BLACK WIRES TOGETHER !!!
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

prowlersfish wrote:DO NOT TIETHE BLACK WIRES TOGETHER !!!
+1 That can create a serious hazzard in certain conditions. Think Fire. Fire=BAD.

Can you post a pic of your particular situation? My system is considerably different.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Ok, I got it. I connected L1 to breaker one and L2 to breaker 2. Now both breakers operate independently as they did before. Easy once someone smarter than me thought it through.

Thanks guys...
1988 10m mid cabin