Stupid AC question

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

tsawyer
Sporadic User

Stupid AC question

Post by tsawyer »

I stopped by my boat quickly on my way out of town today. The AC wasn't running and there was a code on the panel which indicated lack of sufficient water flow.

I had it out last week for a bottom painting. And I think it's probably just not filing up properly.

Yes, it looks like I need to clean this out. But, can anyone tell me if this is open or closed? I think it's open in this position.

Either it's dirty and needs cleaned and primed, or the marina that painted it closed the for some reason or they left something in the opening underneath.

Thanks.
Tom Sawyer
Rum Floater
1988 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
comodave
Moderate User

Re: Stupid AC question

Post by comodave »

When the handle is in line with the thru hull (like it is in your photo) it is open. When the handle is 90 degrees to the thru hull it is closed. Your strainer could be clogged, there could be tape on the thru hull or it could be air locked. If it is air locked, you will have to open up the hose somewhere and let the air out and let water get to the pump. A/C pumps generally do not self prime.
Trojan has been sold
1987 President 41 DC 225 Lehmans
Au Gres, Michigan
tsawyer
Sporadic User

Post by tsawyer »

Thanks, I think that it's just air locked (and could use a cleaning!)
Tom Sawyer
Rum Floater
1988 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
srokag44
Sporadic User

Post by srokag44 »

I have the same strainer on my AC. I find that it sometimes gets air locked after cruising through some rougher seas. I find it easiest to just loosen the T handle at the top to break the seal and bleed the air then tighten it back down when water starts to come out.
1985 Trojan 10 Meter International Sedan
tsawyer
Sporadic User

Post by tsawyer »

Cleaned and airlock relieved.
Tom Sawyer
Rum Floater
1988 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Fort Lauderdale, Florida