Loss of power

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Fishblues

Loss of power

Post by Fishblues »

Hope someone might have some thoughts on this. I dropped the boat in for the new season and took it out for a spin, I had the props tuned over the winter and she ran great. I topped my 1976 F32 with Mercruiser 233's out at 3900 RPM which is close enough to spec for me. I went out fishing for a second day and she ran great for a couple of hours until I started loosing RPM's, by the end of the day I could not get it up past 3000 RPM. I had this problem last year to but was not able to figure it out. I have no problem starting the boat at anytime and it idles fine. I had new Mallory distributors installed last year but that did not remedy the problem. Then I thought about vapor lock but what I understand about that is the boat would not start after awhile and that is not a issue. I also did a complete tune up and adjusted the timing. This is making me crazy, can anyone offer some words of advice, Thanks.
wolfnnj
Sporadic User

Re: Loss of power

Post by wolfnnj »

I had a similar thing happen to me check the fuel lines for leaks tighten all the clamps, make sure your fuel vents are unobstructed. My issue was ball valves I installed so that I could turn off one tank and draw from another. The valves were labeled 3/8 but inside they were 1/8 after I switched them out and got rid of the birds nest in the port vent no more problems. Bogging down like that is a fuel problem usually. Replace any dry rotted lines.

I hope this helps.
Wolf
1971 F-26 w/ 350 Crusader and Paragon PV-31 V-drive.
1968 MFG Westfield w/ Evinrude 50
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Start with changing the fuel filters
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
wolfnnj
Sporadic User

Post by wolfnnj »

+1 fuel filters
Fishblues

Post by Fishblues »

I replaced both fuel filters when the boat went in as I do every year, also both carburetors were rebuilt last year to try to remedy the problem with no success. I will double check my fuel lines which are the original lines. Should I change them to rubber fuel hose? they all seem to be in great shape.
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Does it start and run at low speed, 1200rpm then it will stall before you can get it on plane?
If so check your anti siphon valves in the 90 bend on top of tank.... They are likely plugged with crud so reducing fuel flow.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
wolfnnj
Sporadic User

Post by wolfnnj »

Don't switch to rubber if you don't have to but do re-Teflon (the yellow Teflon not white) all fittings including to the carbs.
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

+1 on anti-siphon
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
Fishblues

Post by Fishblues »

Hi,The boat starts and idles perfectly. Again, I have no trouble starting the engines at any time. Also, the engines never stall. I also have this issue, the old owner replaced the Rochester carbs with new ones... not Rochester, and in doing so used a shim and / or wedge to make them fit. But I have run the boat for 4 years and only started having problems last year.
SANY0148 copy.JPG
SANY0148 copy.JPG (200.44 KiB) Viewed 7307 times
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

A couple of questions----- does this only happen when the engines have got a good heat soak,before everything gets hot do the engines perform as normal----- that is just a spacer under the carbs,probably to keep heat from the carbs ---- if it is heat related look at coils and check compatibility with the ignition system----- are both engines the same???---- Mike

One more --- do you have electric fuel pumps---- is that fitting near the flame arrester not for the mechanical fuel pump vent,not sure on that---
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Does the problem reset - ie when you first take it out each time it runs fine, then degrades the longer you run it? Or was it good on first run, degraded on second run, and has run poorly ever since?

If its the first one, it is likely fuel delivery (vapour lock, anti-siphon valve, vents, fuel line too close to heat source), air-fuel mixture (dissimilar metals expanding under heat at different rates causing gaskets to not seal properly, or maybe plugs that are not properly seated (fine when cold, not so fine when hot)) related, or ignition (coil, ignition module, ballast resistor, or aging spark plug wires affected by temperature after a couple of hours).

If it is the second one, I would lean towards bad fuel - check or change the filters again and see if they are still clean. Clean filters only stay clean until enough crap clogs them, and if your tanks have enough gunk in them a few hours of running may be enough to do that.

I have also seen issues with timing being set wrong or distributors that are not properly advancing, but you usually don't see degradation in performance, just bad performance.
Fishblues

Post by Fishblues »

Ok, Went out today and she ran good. 3,800RPM was the best she could do. Still not convinced she is running at her best. It was tough to keep the engines in sync. I changed all the spark plugs yesterday and found one that was cracked, other than that they all looked good. I think I'm going to pull the live well / tackle box from under the fly bridge steps and pull the ladder and open up the rear cockpit and inspect the gas tanks, hoses and gas vents. It's a bitch but needs to be done.
Transom.jpg
Transom.jpg (90.1 KiB) Viewed 7259 times
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

A couple of years back, I had this problem after the engines had come up to temp after an hr of cruising. The port side engine would just not get past about 2500 RPM, the other one fine. It ended up being a fuel pump. It was not leaking (pumping anything through the bypass line) but I had tried everything else at that point. New pump, and all was better again.
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"