getting there..........

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jblack1036

getting there..........

Post by jblack1036 »

Hello all, It's going to be a beautiful summer...

Just wanted to pop on here and see what all is going on. I've been out of the country for the last quite a few months and now I'm back. As some of you may have read in some of my past post, I've been pondering a repower on the old 65 Sea Breeze (Whiskey Girl). Well, I was finally able to come across a set of old Grey Marine Fireballs that came out of another 60's model Trojan. Well, at least that is what the Ebay post said. I drove down Thursday and picked them up. They are complete with Velvet drive and both have a good deal of usable parts on them which should transfer over when needed and if needed. Out of the two, I can get one decent set of exhaust manifolds which is what I've been needing and a set of heads. I did manage to get ahold of a fella (Dave Vaness) who does have new manifolds but for a gem of a price.. And before anyone chimes in, "NO", Kim at Greymarine does not have manifolds....Apparently Vaness bought out all of BARR marines manifolds for these engines and the tooling (if I understood him correctly). Said he could do 1500 for a pair and that he also has a bunch of grey marine items and if I needed anything, he would be able to accomodate me. That's a good note and if any of you need his number for some of those hard to find parts, PM me and I'll get you his number. He also mentioned to me that he rebuilds them too.

Now for a big question for many of you more experienced trojan boaters who have experience with these old Fireballs. I have the CF-220. the two motors I picked up are CF-195s. I'm wondeing is the bore size is the same. All the research I have done tells me that the block is the AMC 327 block but based on Serial numbers, some where bored to 3.75 and some with 4. With that in mind, I'm hoping the heads are a direct bolt up. If not, I'm not out of too much money because like I said, alot of the parts will bolt up and I'm pretty sure I could make the money back if I parted them out since I got the two for the price of one. Also, I'm wanting to send one of the distributor out to be converted over to electronic in order to get away from the points and rotor.

On a good note, one of them runs but the other has a cracked block. Didn't see that till I got back home. The fun part is going to be finding out if the one that runs is the right rotation.
Jim Black
31' 1965 Trojan Sea Breeze (Wiskey Girl)
29' 1974 Caver Monterey (Rough -N- Ready)