F-26 Wet Exhaust Upgrade

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Paul
Active User

F-26 Wet Exhaust Upgrade

Post by Paul »

For years now I've been struggling to gain access to the house batteries for servicing. The problem is that the factory (I believe) wet exhaust hose runs across the top of them and makes it difficult to remove the battery covers and top up the fluid. I've always just dealt with it as opposed to moving the batteries since their added weight in this position makes the boat handle better than when they were under the companionway steps. As for the hoses themselves, one is an actual marine wet exhaust hose and the other, the one that's in the way, looks like a radiator hose from a piece of heavy equipment. Never did like that hose.

This picture shows the hose over the batteries.

This year I decided that enough was enough. I picked up some new Trident hose and fittings and reconfigured the exhaust. The picture below shows the how house bank is much more accessible. The cranking battery, on the left, is still a little difficult to get at however I only need to service it once a year. The house bank gets topped up every four weeks or so since we spend allot of time on the hook.

Installing these hoses and fittings was not as simple as I'd imagined. the "Y" pipe leading to the muffler comes out at an angle which made things difficult to line up. The single piece of hose on the starboard side has a slight kink in it that I couldn't quite get out no matter what I tried. This hose is only 12" long, too long for a "hump" fitting and too short for a combination of that and a piece of hose. The hose for the port side is made up of one straight piece of hose, one 45° fitting and two 90° fittings. There's 90° at the manifold and one coming off of the 45° which is attached to the "Y" pipe. The one attached to the 45° had to be trimmed back to change the fitting angle closer to 80° to line up correctly with the fitting on the manifold. This made me nervous because I was cutting off the straight portion for the adapter as well as some of the curve. The adapter still slipped in easily and went to within a 1/4" of fully seated which is plenty. You can order custom angled fittings however lead time and cost is a factor.

These components were easy to cut with a utility knife and everything slipped together easily with a little dish soap and water on every connection. You'll also notice that the 90° fitting on the port side is missing two clamps. All connections should be double clamped, I just didn't order the correct number of clamps. :oops: They will be on there before the boat goes in the water.

I did get to start it up when I finished this job today to check for leaks. It sure felt nice to hear that engine come to life. I didn't get to do any boating last season so I'm sure looking forward to this one. Hope to splash in about a week.
Last edited by Paul on Wed May 28, 2014 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
gitchisum
Moderate User

Re: F-26 Wet Exhaust Upgrade

Post by gitchisum »

Just when I'm thinking, " ya know, the boat is looking pretty good", Paul posts something! :mrgreen:

Drooool! Nice work Paul
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

I guess I should clean by bilge now...thanks
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
vabeach1234
Moderate User

Post by vabeach1234 »

Looks like it's time to remove the engine and repaint the bilge. Look at that nasty water in the bottom. Paul, how could you let this happen?

Kidding, jealous and amazed at your boat and work.
Ken
1972 Trojan F26 Express
1985 Dell Quay Dory 13
Hampton, VA
http://s853.photobucket.com/user/vabeac ... ojan%20F26
kboette1

Post by kboette1 »

Beautiful work!
1988 F36 w/ 454's
kallen
Sporadic User

Post by kallen »

Nice job. What type or model of hose did you use and were did you get the great hose clamps?
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

Last weekend - I saw a Sea Ray owner waxing his bilge - I was disgusted!
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

lawyerdave71 wrote:Last weekend - I saw a Sea Ray owner waxing his bilge - I was disgusted!
Waxing the bilge??? :shock: I like a clean bilge but think I'd draw the line there. I could imagine the reaction if my wife ever saw me doing that. :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad to hear that you guys approve of my bilge. Vabeach, I'm glad that you pointed out the water, I'll get on it right away. Damn, I cant let that happen again! :lol:

Kallen, The hose and fittings are from a company named Trident. They can also supply the clamps however the local marine store that brought this stuff in for me got me a little better deal on the same type of clamp from a different company. I cant remember the brand but I'll look it up for you. If you click on the link below, you'll see all of the available components.

http://www.tridentmarine.com/stage/wetexhaust.htm
Paul
Bimmerbill

Post by Bimmerbill »

I have what looks like the original cast iron connectors in my Crusader wet exhaust and was looking at replacing them.
Does the Shields stuff connect to each other, or do you use a fiberglass connector between them? I can't seem to find any info on installing fiberglass or silicone/EPDM replacements for the cast iron connectors.

Thanks,
Bill
1984 Trojan 10 Meter International Express Cruiser
"The Help Desk"
Portsmouth NH/Kittery ME
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

My Trident components are joined with fiberglass sleeve connectors. As for the Y pipe, I re-used it since it is still in good condition and no other component beyond it were replaced.
Paul
Bimmerbill

Post by Bimmerbill »

Thanks for the info!
1984 Trojan 10 Meter International Express Cruiser
"The Help Desk"
Portsmouth NH/Kittery ME