considering buying a 79 F 32

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

DANTE

considering buying a 79 F 32

Post by DANTE »

Hello to all,
Im considering purchasing a 79 F 32 here in Fla. I used to have a Trojan years ago, and always liked them.The boat I looked at today is def a fixer upper, and needs a lot of work.. Im pretty good at getting work like this done, and dont mind spending some time and money on a good boat
This particular boat needs a rebuild on the Port Engine,
lots and lots of cleaning
some wood paneling in the cabin is in need of replacement, besides that (LOL) everything is there,, Im a retired technician and know my way around engines and machines, I have built several boat engines and dont see that as an issue, what Im struggling with , is if the price the seller is selling the boat for is reasonable . They are looking for 4K, which may not seem like a lot of money, but factoring in , how much an engine will be, and work etc, not to mention sweat equity,, what do you guys think of that price, The boat itself is not so bad, after you look past all the dirt, bee mud huts, and funk, I think it may be a good buy, It also has a running starboard engine, and a genertor, which all look like they havent been started in years,, I already know,, about fuel etc, and things like that, but whats a nice F32 running go for these days,,
I like the layout of the boat, and I love the glass door in the back, seems like the perfect cruiser for me, and my fam
thanks
Dante
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Re: considering buying a 79 F 32

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

Buy the one in Boston for $1.00
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
DANTE

Post by DANTE »

nothing like a well thought out answer
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Trying to save you $3999.00 is a great answer. You're looking at the same type of boat with the same type of unknowns as one that is for sale for $1.00. You might even be able to negotiate that. Get a good survey to see all of the potential issues, and then only expect the survey to cover 75%. Financially, it will never be a "good deal" because you will always spend more than the boat is worth. And that probably doesn't account for your time. The best deals are to buy s boat after someone like you fixes it, and then has to sell a fixed up boat for pennies on the dollar of total restoration costs. And if you think I'm being a jerk about it, take a look at the two boats listed in my profile. I've been restoring both and will never, ever get what I've put in financially. On the other hand, if its a boat you absolutely love and don't care about money, then go for it. I want to put a nice set of lightweight diesels in my 10.8. This is a really stupid idea, but I love my boat and would love it more with diesels. Now if I can convince my sane wife.

Good luck.

DANTE

Post by DANTE »

yes, thanks for the answer and information, and you def are right about one thing in particular
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Todd makes a good point (you need to consider the towing cost for the $1 boat to get it to FL).

Why not spend $10-50k and get a boat that is running, either OK ($10k) or in very good condition, possibly with diesels ($50k) - you'll spend less money n the long run (the prior owner is losing the money) and have a usable boat immediately.

I personally would not spend $4k on a boat that does not run (I would have in my younger days perhaps). I'm not saying its not worth it, but there are probably better deals to be had.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
DANTE

Post by DANTE »

thanks to the replies, all good points and in a logical perfect world, I suppose it would make sense, if money, and keeping busy were not an issue. I dont have a lot of money to spend, and I think working slowly and keeping busy for a good cause is ok, so long as you dont put yourself in the poor house, I still didnt get any info on a fair retail market for a 79 in running seaworthy condition. But I suppose no one wants to stick their neck out to say a number. Anyway, I am going to proceed in buying the boat and doing a marine engine rebuild and try to enjoy the boat as much as possible while I can still afford it, and my health holds out. Sometimes is not all by the book. Im not going to get a survey as I knew this boat for a while and I dont think its going to break in half while underway, and if it breaks down,, and shuts down both engines, I will call Boats US for a tow, not the end of the world. I dont do the kind of boating where I would put myself in harms way or anyone else. I m a pretty responsible guy and I think buying a boat and maybe spending a few grand on it, to have some fun on the weekends,is not a bad idea. What Im concerned with is safety and keeping the integrity of the boat the way it was when it was built, I hate aftermarket stuff and ignoring safety rules, with that said, thanks again and Ill foward some pics when the engine is on the stand getting a new lease on life,
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

I think Rossjo gave you a range. Yachtworld has several F32's listed with varying prices. People can't give you a value of a boat in disrepair without knowing all the potential issues. That is what a marine surveyor is for. In my opinion, the surveyor will be the cheapest part of your overall financial obligation to this boat.

ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

What I see here is the potential of someone who does not want to spend much money getting into a situation in time where they have to stop and then have a 4K boat ++ lying around that they can't get 3K for....
In my experience fixer uppers are a loosing game and if one is averse to spending $$ then it will be a bad decision!

The $600 a good surveyor will cost is worth it IMO.... Can you spot wet decks and stringers? There lies the major risk not engines!
What does a running 79 F32 go for these days..... $9-$14k sounds reasonable to me.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
8lug

Post by 8lug »

The $600 a good surveyor will cost is worth it IMO.... Can you spot wet decks and stringers? There lies the major risk not engines!
What does a running 79 F32 go for these days..... $9-$14k sounds reasonable to me.[/quote]

Wet decks and stringers can ruin your day.
Like mentioned motor work is not bad
You could drop it off at the shop and have it back in and running for less than about 2k
If you dont want to invest 600$ in surveyor. Take someone that knows trojans or has years of experiance with bigger boats
But its still a gamble. Here is a trojan f32 posted 13 days ago
Asking 10k its clean with lots of upgrades,running and just up the road from ft myers about 135 miles
http://treasure.craigslist.org/boa/4500727163.html
Heck the guy may take alot less. And you come out way better
And i completly understand. If i cant pay cash for it then i cant afford it. Minus house and cars.
But with that being said,the nxt boat i buy i will put on credit,but she will be a show stopper
Anyway buying the boat is the easy part. Maintaining a boat is another story i think thats why for every 1 nice boat being sold there is 2 thats WET and TIRED being sold
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

id sell mine today for $6,000, start it up and take it to Florida
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Again get a good surveyor if they exist? IMO they do not!

Same as a house inspectors, just paying for an opinion not and exact science. :roll:

If he is good he should guarantee his opinion. But he won't! :P
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink