Neutral "sweet spot" for starting engines

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Hart
Sporadic User
Location: Either at home on Wixom Lake or on the Big Pond in Manistee.

Neutral "sweet spot" for starting engines

Post by Hart »

My port gear lever on the upper helm is getting a little finicky as far as seating itself smack in the "neutral sweet spot" (as I call it) so that the engine will start. I was having a little trouble getting it just right so that engine would fire last weekend. It happened once before, but corrected pretty quickly. This time, it took a fair amount more of jimmying the lever until it finally fired. I think it may need an adjustment...........somewhere.

Any ideas?
1979 F36 Convertible "Hart's Desire"
w/twin Chrysler 440s and a ton o' teak

2006 Aqua Patio 220 RE
Evinrude E-Tec 75hp
yorklyn
Active User

Re: Neutral "sweet spot" for starting engines

Post by yorklyn »

there is a neutral indicator switch on the tranny . They wear out on occasion. the one on my velvet dries was very easy to replace . mine started acting just like yours and eventually quit completely. I bypassed mine to get home then replaced it immediately as its a very important safety device. on mine there were two wires attached with screws to the switch. to bipass it you simply attach the two wires together to make a circuit. I think the switch is held in with two screws as well.
Good Luck
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

If you're having trouble finding the neutral "sweet spot", turn the key to the start position and jiggle the lever. When you hear the engine begin to start stop moving the lever. It's not a perfect solution but it works.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
Hart
Sporadic User

Post by Hart »

Todd: I appreciate that. I'll probably do both. Any idea who might carry those switches? If they're not too much $$ (and it's an easy fix) I'll probably do both. Exactly how much of a safety issue would it present if I were to simply connect the two wires and leave it at that, at least for a while?

Dog: I was doing that, figuring it would quickly give me an indication where the lever wanted to be to start the engine.................didn't work well at all. I appreciate your input as well.

Thanks, both.

2006 Aqua Patio 220 RE
Evinrude E-Tec 75hp
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

you will need to confirm exactly what switch you need but here is one for the 71c and 72c trannies to give you some idea of what they run.
http://www.michiganmotorz.com/neutral-s ... vHSSPD_BwE
I would only by-pass it to get home in an emergency. if you by-pass it the ending can start with the tranny in gear. very dangerous for swimmers .
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

by the way, I did a quick google search and the above link was the first one i found. I know nothing about that particular company.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

Last time I had the shift linkage apart mine worked like this...
Under the cover on the helm, there is a spring loaded ball in the shift lever that slides on a arc shaped plate. In the center of the plate, there is hole drilled which is the neutral spot. I could not "feel" neutral as over the past 40 years, a grove had cut its way in the plate and the ball had worn down. i went to the hardware store and got a ball bearing a few thousands larger than the one i had a slightly stiffer spring. That fixed the lever and I had the neutral spot back, but the sweet spot was not neutral. Then, down in the engine room where the cable meets the tranny, I had to adjust the cable about 1/4 inch shorter. Then all was well.
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Hart wrote:My port gear lever on the upper helm is getting a little finicky as far as seating itself smack in the "neutral sweet spot"....
If you have upper and lower stations, the neutral detent at the upper station should be disengaged and operating off the lower helm only, if done right. Check the shifter at the upper but check the lower helm also, you may find a problem there as mentioned above. Certainly the switch on the tranny will contribute to this problem, so will a stretched shift cable which is not good for the tranny as it may not fully engage the clutch plates.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Hart
Sporadic User

Post by Hart »

Thanks again to everyone for all the input. It certainly gives me good starting points for a fix.

2006 Aqua Patio 220 RE
Evinrude E-Tec 75hp