I can't breathe !!! Exhaust problems

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

wolfnnj
Sporadic User

I can't breathe !!! Exhaust problems

Post by wolfnnj »

Hey all,
I am having a major issue everytime I used my boat my exhaust whips up into the boat and I or at least one of my passengers chum the water on every trip. I have tried various combinations of windows and hatches opened and closed, the only thing that seems to work is going 1500 rpm with no trim so the tail pipes are somewhat under water but then I can't see where I am going, or I have to run at near (WOT-100rpm)wot to outrun the cloud of gasses. My co2 detector goes off constantly while cruising. I am fed up! This happened with my 318 as well as my new 350. I believe that the engine exhausting in the middle rear of the boat is a design flaw. How do I extend the exhaust to the bottom of my transom so that it doesn't kill me? PVC ?
1971 F-26 Express HT
1971 F-26 w/ 350 Crusader and Paragon PV-31 V-drive.
1968 MFG Westfield w/ Evinrude 50
gitchisum
Moderate User

Re: I can't breathe !!! Exhaust problems

Post by gitchisum »

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (24.88 KiB) Viewed 5821 times
The port circled in red was the location of exhaust outlet on my 77 f-26. You will want to run wet exhaust hoe all the way to the outlet. Not sure if you have a diffrerent location.

Even this location, I suffered the same "station wagon effect" issue you are having. Needed a stiff cross wind to keep it clear!
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
wolfnnj
Sporadic User

Post by wolfnnj »

My exhaust is under the E & W in your picture.
gitchisum
Moderate User

Post by gitchisum »

I would think it would have a better opportunity to clear the transom, if it was closer to the edge.

Not certain what is involved in inner structure from a 71 to a 77. Can you reroute and cut a new hole, glass in the old?
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
wolfnnj
Sporadic User

Post by wolfnnj »

Since I have oversized tanks I would have to pull the motor to accomplish an inside relocation. I was thinking about a toilet flange and some PVC piping on the outside with brackets secured to the transom
BarryL
Sporadic User

Post by BarryL »

I have seen similar boats with the exhaust that has a down pipe on the outside that is shaped to cut through the water but is well below the water line and the exhaust gasses come up a fair distance behind the boat and don't have a chance to catch up to boat. Google "Fresh air Exhaust for some ideas and make something up that attaches to current exhaust outlet and is supported by swim platform and you will be good to go and much safer for you and your passengers

Barry
I love my boat! It takes all of my money and doesn't bitch.
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

BarryL wrote:I have seen similar boats with the exhaust that has a down pipe on the outside that is shaped to cut through the water but is well below the water line and the exhaust gasses come up a fair distance behind the boat and don't have a chance to catch up to boat. Google "Fresh air Exhaust for some ideas and make something up that attaches to current exhaust outlet and is supported by swim platform and you will be good to go and much safer for you and your passengers
If adding an extension to route the exhaust underwater, make sure there is a relief hole above the waterline so the exhaust has somewhere to go when the boat is idling.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

What about keeping the hatch open to force fresh air through the cabin? I'm thinking about using three rubber blocks (port, center, starboard) to support the front of the hatch (open about 2 inches) along with tightening the hatch handle. Any reason why this might be a bad thing to do?
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

It sounds like your exhaust is not in the standard location. Makes me wonder why someone would have changed that!

In any event, with a forward hatch open (and any windshield opening ports you may have) you should get enough ventilation through the cabin and cockpit to deal with the station wagon effect. Try running with this configuration (hatch and windshield opened) into the wind. If you still get fumes, they may not be coming from the transom... maybe you have a problem under the cockpit flooring that is the source.

If people are ralphing on every trip it's a definite health and safety hazard, and something to get figured out and fixed before you take anyone else out!