What carburetor for a crusader model 350?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

yorklyn
Active User

What carburetor for a crusader model 350?

Post by yorklyn »

I was told by my machine shop not to waste my time rebuilding the qudrajets and simply go with a new holley or edelbrock to avoid headaches? I understand that the quadrajet is a great carb when it is set up properly and kept adjusted but it looks like the others are much easier to set up and simpler to maintain. I was told to be very cautious finding someone to rebuild and set up the old carbs since their are apparently alot of hacks out there. looks like a good rebuild or new carb will be pretty close in price although the fuel line will need to be changed as well as the a plate for the intake will be needed.

has anyone changed their carb on the model 350? if so do you like your set up? what do the rest of you guys think???

Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Re: What carburetor for a crusader model 350?

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

I've done a lot of research and I've come to the conclusion that a rebuilt Q-jet is by far the best set-up. I had mine rebuilt by someone who has rebuilt Q-jets for many years, and they work great. I think they will be more economical than a holley or edelbrock.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

The Q-Jet is spread-bore = smaller primaries and big secondaries = best of both worlds: Economy + Power (when you need it).

Many shops don't want to spend the time to rebuild a Q-Jet. Just get the kit and do it yourself. Its fairly easy, and will run much better than a only "square bore" (all bores same size). Threw away the junk Carter AFB that came on the boat.

I have on my old Vette as well as my 26 Chaparral 454 (Threw away the junk Carter AFB that came on the boat.). The Q-Jets run great! I've owned several in my life and love them. They're not fuel injection, but better than any other carb if setup properly.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

This is why I love this forum! Bobct had given me a book he had on rebuilding qjets a while back. Think ill do some studying. Are their any big differences in the rebuild kits you see online? Would want the most complete kit I can find . Thanks guys!

Does anyone have a suggestion for a local rebuilder in the upper Chesapeake area? Before I spend too much time figuring out how to do it myself I would at least like to get a price from a professional .
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

I can't speak of prices in your area, but i was charged $200/apiece locally. Actually, my carbs were rebuilt by the guy that created the Qjet. He's probably 90.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Todd,

The guy that wrote the book is the guy (Cliff Ruggles). Do a google search on him, he has a rebuild shop. I rebuilt both of mine four years ago using his kit(s). Then I sent them both to him for tweaking and an actual run in on a V8. I haven't laid a finger on them since. Both engines start like they're fuel injected, never stall and idle fine under 600 rpm's. I really don't even let then warm up anymore.

Maybe I've been lucky because I read all the time about people ditching them for Holley or Carter setups. I think if you have a bad carb and then install a new one, the natural reaction is the old one was crap.

If you decide to do a swap, I'll but one of your old ones. Probably not a bad idea to have a good rebuild on the shelf in case I do have a problem.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Thanks Bob, I was on cliffs site and he has a 1yr backlog on rebuilds. Not sure what it would be for just tuning. been researching qjets online for the last 2 hrs! seems like theres alot of of little issues that a general carb rebuild kit doesn't address. (ie worn bushing leaking air, screws that leak fuel that need to be epoxied, threads that are easily stripped etc) did you just do the basic kit or did you address other issues to? I'm still surprised you didnt figure out how to tune them yourself, LOL! If i end up going another route ill send you a spare!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Todd,
If i could find someone like that locally it would be an easy choice! :)
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
TC
Sporadic User

Post by TC »

Todd, in my opinion.....Qjets all day long.

As far as finding a rebuild individual you're going to have to find someone at least 50 years old. With all due respect to more "youthful" technicians they generally have little or no experience as fuel injection has been everywhere for at least 30 years. Unless you stumble upon a very "Specialty" Shop you are looking for an automotive person from "back in the day". An Old Gear. An ex-racer, Machine Shop tech, or mechanic.

Another problem, at least up here, old fashion carb cleaner, the deadly stuff, is no longer available. This was powerful. You didn't leave a carb in it overnight because you wouldn't have a carb in the morning. So that leaves you with today's cleaners. I have had success using Brake Cleaners but maybe I got lucky.

One more comment about loose bushings. I think you would be hard pressed to find those on a marine application. Yeas ago, I means YEARS ago there were brass bushings in the casting that the throttle shaft turned in. These bushings were replaceable. Later these bushings were dropped and the shafts just rested in the aluminum. Constant use of the throttle, as in a car or truck wore the housing oblong and yes they did allow air to enter and upset the air/fuel mix. But as most boats don't have Muncie 4speed transmissions, they are run at a constant throttle setting. I feel it would take a very long time for that to be an issue.

Here's suggestion, drop by your local GM dealer and ask about the retired mechanics. Some may still dabble in repairs or may know of a contact.

Good luck in your search.
1989 F-32
Penetang,
Georgian Bay
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

its been awhile, but when I was running my 454's one engine was drinking far more fuel than the other.

A good rebuilder in Miami (Omar at CARBURETORS ONLY" ) identified the problem as 1 carb had the incorrect metering rods for a marine application.

Rods changed, both carbs rebuilt no more problem.

The problem was CREATED by a previous rebuilder/exchanger/shade tree/auto shop/who knows that had no idea or concept of what they were doing.

Important STUFF !

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

I believe Cliff has a book. The QJet can be a real science project.

If it came with the boat, then don't change the jets, rods or springs. There are many rod sizes, identified by letters (springs by color).

Also (Per Cliff Ruggles' emails) - float must be set to exactly 1/4".

You can also buy new Qjet: Edlebrock Marine Carbs:

Here is the Manual for the Edelbrock 1410 (750CFM) marine QJet: http://RNR-Marine.com/Corvette/Edelbroc ... Manual.pdf

Good luck - its not that bad. I've rebuilt several, just follow the directions and make sure you take photos so you remember how to get it back together. Here is what comes in a typical rebuild kit:

FYI - here is why its called a "Spread Bore" :

Also, here is the manual for the QJet on my old Corvette - not a marine carb, but very similar ( I ran it on my boat once when I was troubleshooting an overly strong fuel pump): http://RNR-Marine.com/Corvette/1973-Qua ... mplete.pdf

Image Image
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Ive been putting in 12 hour days at the shop sandblasting and prepping transmissions , brackets , pulleys etc.
TC, I could see how a carb on a car would wear but you make a great point for on on a boat. Thanks
Ross, Thanks for all the info! the kits are pretty cheap so I might as well give it a try. Looks Like I will have plenty to do this winter!!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
Bimmerbill

Post by Bimmerbill »

I thought I read that the Edlebrock Carbs give much better fuel economy. Must have been on the Crusader forums, or maybe here. I was considering swapping, but spent all my boat cash on other projects this year.
1984 Trojan 10 Meter International Express Cruiser
"The Help Desk"
Portsmouth NH/Kittery ME
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

(reposting from my renovation post)
Just picked up all of my bolts to put everything back together. Went with all grade 8 zinc coated hardware. my new circulation pumps will be here Wednesday with a bunch of other gaskets , sending units and other misc stuff!
I actually found a local radiator shop and dropped my heat exchangers off today. told him to clean, pressure test and go over everything.
I found a place to rebuild my Qjets to factory specs (as per the engine rebuild book). I then proceed to look up the serial numbers on the carbs. one was made in 1978 the other was 1986? after reading the book that Bobct gave me I also found out that the 1986 carb was a California emissions carb whatever that means? someone drilled holes in the plates over the two large barrels ??? ive seen this done to the smaller bores to allow more air/vacuum at idle.
now I'm seconding guessing what to do. I originally thought I had the original carbs with the correct jets etc. not i dont have a clue what I have (but at least I now know that!) figure I'll bring the original carb specs to the rebuilder and see what he thinks? sure he can change everything but will make a decision after I find out what I actually have and what needs to be changed.
have I mentioned how much I love boats lately !!!!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

The carbs are a critical component for efficiency.

Also if memory serves me (and usually I really miss my mind, or what remains of it) in the event of a mixture too lean, you run the risk of melting a piston?

It is my understanding that the marine Quadrajet carb is jetted differently than the gas version.

A GOOD REBUILDER who REALLY KNOWS MARINE CARBS can correctly address this issue, whereas a shadetree simply cannot.

It's not too late to yank the quadrajets and everything else and swap the whole kit and caboodle (does ANYONE ever say THAT anymore) for a Bosch injection pump with 6 injectors attached to a ........ ok, no I won't go there.

anyhow, yes the carb needs to be right.

Nothing wrong with Quadrajets, as long as they have the right jets and metering rods for the application.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED