is this a fair price.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

dfg4240
Sporadic User

is this a fair price.

Post by dfg4240 »

I have the F36 sedan convertible-pics are here.
Her bottom needs more than just paint and the recommendation is media blast down to the base.
and prep her ready for paint.
Price is $3000 Plus paint.
What do you think.
I wanted the stripe painted but am passing on that.
for the stripe--$1500-sounds high to me so I said forget the stripe.
here are pics
http://s1369.photobucket.com/user/dgouv ... c.jpg.html
I am thinking of painting the stripe myself but would like to do a narrower stripe like 21/2" instead of the 4" stripe.
op and bottom stripe. What do you think anybody paint a narrower stripe-I think it would look better
David F
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Re: is this a fair price.

Post by Stripermann2 »

Wow, maybe it's just me...but 3K? Why not just scrape, sand and paint it yourself? I use a soft paint where I paint every other year. Does your boat have blisters? Boat looks nice though!
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
dfg4240
Sporadic User

Post by dfg4240 »

Hey this is a big boat-I posted pics of her bottom here
http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... f=1&t=8668
I figure somewhere between $3500 and 3700 for getting her down to the base and prep and Paint.
That would take me a long time by myself and not worth it for me. I used to do that by myself when I was a lot younger.
I'm 74 now and about 1 1/2 yrs ago I re-shingled the two car garage in the back of the house.
it had Five roofs on it-can you imagine that-what a pain in the neck the tear off was and pounding all the nails in.
I tore my ACL caring the bundles of shingles up the ladder and didn't realize it until about a week later when the pain didn't go away.
I'm not stupid anymore.
It is not the price but I always liked doing things like that myself. I just finished my under garage which is concrete but a wood frame that water had been getting under for years and rotted the frame.
I had to tear it all out and run 4x4's across the top for strength against the side of the hill and installed a new frame and garage door.
the old ones were wood. It came out beautiful.

These fellows down here at shumway are known for their work all over. I could go the cheap way and sand a little and fill and paint but that would only be good for a couple of years.
Tomorrow I will go down and winterize the air conditioner and the water lines-everything else is done.
Scorpion07

Post by Scorpion07 »

The bottom paint I can understand, even though that's a hefty price. The boot stripe not so much. The good thing about the stripe is it should be at an easy access level on the hard. Tape it, lightly sand, and roll & tip it. It sounds like you have the determination to do 80 feet of stripe, and it doesn't have to be perfect. Even though it can be with practice. I did mine last year and it wasn't perfect, but it looks great on the water and at the dock. And I'm a perfectionist.
As far as the smaller stripe size, after 30 plus years the stripe after removal will leave the gel coat raised and slightly yellowed compared to the adjacent unstriped gel coat. You'll have to do some wet sanding to get it even and clear. Then a lot of buffing. I was gonna leave the smaller stripe off after I pulled the tape, but it looked like what I said above and was completely unacceptable, so the tape stripe went back on.
Of course all that said, if it's worth it to you NOT to do the work, well, then it's worth that price!

I'm working on a picture. Forgot my Photobucket login.
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

You must be in Rochester. I think Shumway prices are high. I think you can shop around and find something a little cheaper. The problem you'll have is if you store in the Shumway yard, I doubt they'll allow an outside company to come in. I use Mike from M&M Marine for most of my work. He'll know who will media blast for a better price. Just a thought.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
rmatt

Post by rmatt »

I'm in Ct and just contracted the marina to soda/walnut blast my boat. Sold my F32 a few years ago and now have a 36 Hatteras. Bottom has never had the paint removed.
It is a 1986. $2200.00 for the blasting and I'm on my own for the blister repair(if any) and subsequent barrier coat and paint application. We CT residents know how inexpensive everything is here(sarcasm intended). The reality is with the prep,blasting and environmental cleanup the price is realistic.
Bob
1986 Hatteras 36 Sedan
Cat 3208T

1978 Trojan F32
Chrysler 360
comodave
Moderate User

Post by comodave »

In Au Gres, MI I paid $1120 for the soda blasting on my F32. I am going to do the barrier coat and bottom paint myself.
Trojan has been sold
1987 President 41 DC 225 Lehmans
Au Gres, Michigan
dfg4240
Sporadic User

Post by dfg4240 »

I thought about doing it myself but only briefly,like ten seconds.
but the time you buy everything you need and the cost of the paint which is not cheap you are already in a good chunk and then all your time and effort sanding and prepping the hull on your back-and then you have to paint it and you want to do a heck of a job after all that hard work.
I don't think I can do the job that they can do.
I have so many other projects to finish or get done. They just did a big Viking tri cabin or enclosed cockpit and it is about 50" long.
The job they did was beautiful-like a new boat-maybe better than new. The bottom almost looks like a rubberized paint-thick and deep black.
hope mine comes out as good.
david F