What type of oil should I use

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Laker

What type of oil should I use

Post by Laker »

Hello,
I bought a 1986 10Meter Trojan Sedan Bridge in June this year. I'm just about to put her away for the winter and want to do an oil change. She has twin Crusader 350's. What is the best type of oil and filter to use? I live in South Western Ontario.

Thanks,
Doug
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Re: What type of oil should I use

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

Oh boy. That's like asking what are the best tires for your car. As long as you're changing the oil every season, you're doing good. I use Rotella and Sierra filters. I've considered using amsoil as I use their ATF on my Velvet Drives and V-drives, but the Rotella's been staying clear, and it's easier to get, and definitely cheaper. Really any good oil will work. Stick with the recommended viscosity for your motor and region.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

My choice would be Rotella 15w-40 . I have use 15w-40 in my last 4-5 boats and in my current one . I use on most boats I service . Except one the ones with Detroit Diesel 2 strokes
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Landlocked

Post by Landlocked »

I keep seeing Rotella on this forum, but when I went to buy it, I only saw Rotella for diesel engines. Are you guys using that? Or is there a Rotella specifically for gasoline engine use?
Lake boaters skip the salt...
1985 11 Meter Sedan
1972 Newman Bassboat
1990 Cyclone Jetboat
1957 Fiberglass Barracuda (Olds 425 cubic Inch, Edelbrock)
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Nope...same oil...the diesel oil has more additives.

The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

Landlocked wrote:I keep seeing Rotella on this forum, but when I went to buy it, I only saw Rotella for diesel engines. Are you guys using that? Or is there a Rotella specifically for gasoline engine use?
If you look at the back of the Rotella bottle, you will see that it also has an SM rating which is a gasoline engine rating. It is rated for both diesel and gasoline engines but advertises/labels for diesel.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The Dog House wrote:
Landlocked wrote:I keep seeing Rotella on this forum, but when I went to buy it, I only saw Rotella for diesel engines. Are you guys using that? Or is there a Rotella specifically for gasoline engine use?
If you look at the back of the Rotella bottle, you will see that it also has an SM rating which is a gasoline engine rating. It is rated for both diesel and gasoline engines but advertises/labels for diesel.

Exactly :D
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Rotella's a good choice. Myself, I use Amsoil synthetic.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Which one? Thinking of switching.

Crazy Yankee

Post by Crazy Yankee »

We've been using Brad Penn 20/50 the last two seasons on our 10 Meter, and we run the engines hard. 2 to 4 days a week for 6 months each year. We run them at 3000 on charters, and 3000-3600 during tourneys. We've been running the WIX filter 51515. My mechanic also recommended adding a quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer with each oil change. 2000+ hours on the engines, and compression is still strong.
1985 Trojan International 10 Meter Express

Crazy Yankee Sportfishing
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

todd brinkerhoff wrote:Which one? Thinking of switching.
I use the Amsoil Dominator 15W-50 racing oil. Its pink and looks quite similar to trans fluid. Its a little pricey however when I think of my engine revving 3800 for hours at a time, the added protection gives me peace of mind.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Do you think with the advances of synthetic oil, that there is a continued need for heavy oils? The greatest wear is during cold start ups, and marine engines run cooler because of access to cooling water. Even though they are running at 3000 to 4000, its still less than racing motors, and certainly less heat. I've heard that full synthetics like 0w-30 (Amsoil's top synthetic) will increase efficiency and improve gas consumption while maintain the wear protection of heavier oils...thoughts?

mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

todd brinkerhoff wrote:Do you think with the advances of synthetic oil, that there is a continued need for heavy oils? The greatest wear is during cold start ups, and marine engines run cooler because of access to cooling water. Even though they are running at 3000 to 4000, its still less than racing motors, and certainly less heat. I've heard that full synthetics like 0w-30 (Amsoil's top synthetic) will increase efficiency and improve gas consumption while maintain the wear protection of heavier oils...thoughts?
I have read some interesting info about what you are saying, one of the very reasons that I wanted to get my engine oil temps up. It seems that engines require oil to flow at a certain rate and that is achieved around 200 deg f oil temp , not water temp. The other end of the scale is most damage and wear takes place on startup so we have to consider both ends.Multi grade oils have their flow rates change on a sliding scale related to oil temp so all 30 wt oils regardless if straight weight or multi flow the same at 200 but vastly different at 75 deg.

After considering all of this I am going to go with Mobil 1 10w40 high mileage synthetic for the next change and if I was to change the oil for the winter only, then drain in the spring after layup I would use an off the shelf 5w20 cheapo for that.

All this being said I have for years used Rotella t in the boat but I just don't like the flow rates with the heavier oils, stress on oil pump drives etc with the raw water cooled engine. well that's my two cents worth,one thing more ,I don't push the boat mostly run like a trawler, if I was to run at 3500 all day long I would stick with the Rotella 15w40 or maybe a straight 30 weight-- Mike
Last edited by mikeandanne on Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Do think there would be much difference of flow rate of 10w-40 vs 15w40 ?
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

prowlersfish wrote:Do think there would be much difference of flow rate of 10w-40 vs 15w40 ?

There is enough difference to increase the cold start flow enough for me to give it a shot----- also the synthetic base stock is as I believe 40 grade and gets thinner when cold ,actually thinner than a Dino 10w-40 grade which starts out life as a 10 grade and viscosity improvers make it perform as a 40 grade at 212 F----- bobs the oil guy has some good reading on this----- I am just trying to get as much oil flow as possible.

Used 0w 40 in 700 hp engines, bearings , pump drives came out like new---- so we shall see next year if this works (GPH etc)------ Mike
Last edited by mikeandanne on Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.