See anything wrong with this AC install by customer.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

dfg4240
Sporadic User

See anything wrong with this AC install by customer.

Post by dfg4240 »

The air never really worked that well at all. I think it is a big unit by King aire 19K and it also has a heater????
I tried the heater once and I know it works.
The install pic show a 90 turn almost immediately and then shows in another pic that the flex line drops down and then up again to maybe two feet about the thermostat control.
Notice the control also says heat.
I think I have room to move it under the lower console and run the flex hose straight up and to the side and have two registers on the port side and then run the return air to the current register which is about the height of the lower steering wheel. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
If I need an additional air unit then so be it but I want to be comfortable-Any Idea how big I can go on a second unit???
thanks
david
pics
http://s1369.photobucket.com/user/dgouv ... c.jpg.html
LandVF36
Moderate User

Re: See anything wrong with this AC install by customer.

Post by LandVF36 »

I have what looks to be the same unit (mine is 'Artic Air'). Installed around 2008. 19K BTU. Mine is installed below the lower helm (in the spot shown next to your water tank in the first shot). I have a 4" duct running back to the starboard side salon, one 4" line that runs to the lower bunk room (where your dinette is) and to the forward berth. There is also a 3" line tee'd off to the head. It can constantly keep the temp in the boat 15 degrees cooler than the outside temp in the salon and just about whatever temp we want in the lower areas. To do any good at all in the salon, we have to have the blinds pulled and I have a full screen over the front window. There is just too much single pane glass in the F36 to cool the salon much with a 19K unit.

If you are not at least doing this good, you should check to see if the unit has enough freon.
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
AndyF32
Sporadic User

Post by AndyF32 »

Well first of all you need to get more air out of that unit. At least 3 vents for a unit that size. And a smooth a transition out of the unit as possible.

Here is a link to an adapter I made for mine:
downeastboatforum.com/search.php?searchid=673053

Its all about getting air in and out as easily as possible.

I have an 18k in my F32 with canvas on the windows and it struggles.
dfg4240
Sporadic User

Post by dfg4240 »

thanks-I know there is freon in there as the air is cold but not much pressure.
If you sit in froNT of it about 6" away it will cool you down but the cabin itself no.
I am going to move it to under the console and maybe put another 12K unit in there also.
First I will see what the move will do and change the output. I know it will never cool without removing the warm air and having the cold air return next to the floor in the dinette is not going to do anything..
DAVID F
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Its not the number of vents its the total amount the air will flow . I would think about moving the unit like you said . but only use it for the salon , and ad a 8k unit for the lower area . again assuming the unit is up to stuff .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
dfg4240
Sporadic User

Post by dfg4240 »

OK thanks
I think I will start looking for an additional unit.
dfg