Prop Puller

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

The Dog House
Active User

Prop Puller

Post by The Dog House »

The propeller on my F26 has two blades that are slightly bent. Can someone recommend a good prop puller I can purchase to get it off the 1 inch shaft? Thanks for any recommendations.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Prop Puller

Post by larryeddington »

I used the c-clamp style prop puller on mine and worked fine. Left one of the nuts on shaft at end to catch prop in case it jumped. I lubed the threads real good and put an impact on it. In thinking back probably did not need the impact. I think getting the clamp real tight then tapping the hub will get it to release with less strain on clamp, IMO

Google propeller puller there are many on the market. There are some much larger pullers, more spendy, but the c-clamp type worked on my 1 inch shafts.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
vabeach1234
Moderate User

Post by vabeach1234 »

I use a large clamp from lowes or HD to remove mine. I removed the swivel at the end of the threaded screw of the clamp, what's left if is a ball that seats nicely in the end of the shaft. Leaving the nut on the shaft as larry mentioned to catch the prop, I then clamp the back side of the prop hub and tighten, then tap on the opposite side of the hub from where were the clamp is and it usually comes right off. But I do remove mine every time I take it out of the water just so I can still do it when I need to. When I bought the boat, the prop had been on for years and I had to pay the boat yard to use heat to get it off. Their prop puller alone couldn't get it off.
Ken
1972 Trojan F26 Express
1985 Dell Quay Dory 13
Hampton, VA
http://s853.photobucket.com/user/vabeac ... ojan%20F26
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

Since I don't need this project to be completed until April, would there be any advantage to waiting until the temperature drops down into the 30s? I'm thinking at the cold temperature the shaft and prop will contract making them easier to separate. Any thoughts on this approach?
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

i made my own from flat stock and threaded rod after borrowing one once from a local prop and shaft shop, works exellent, I used 2 bottles of map gas on the first one i did a few years ago, it was on pretty good :-/ for the heck of it i just googled prop puller and theirs images of many simple to make home made pullers