Lonseal Flooring

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

gitchisum
Moderate User

Lonseal Flooring

Post by gitchisum »

I just ordered samples and the marketing photos look real promising. I am looking at installing in salon and galley on f32.

Anyone have any experience with this product?

http://www.lonsealspecialty.com/show_collection/MARINE
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
ScurvyDog

Re: Lonseal Flooring

Post by ScurvyDog »

I am in the VIP aircraft business. Many aircraft use a Loncoin product made by the same manufacture. It is extreamely durable. It is often used in the entry areas, lavatory and baggage areas of commercial aircraft. If the marine product is similar to the aviation product, it would be a durable product. I would be interested to see if it looks too fake or if it looks like wood.
F32 Ruffinit
Bridgeview Marina
Sarnia, On, Canada
rmatt

Post by rmatt »

Gitchisum
I used the Lonseal Teak and Holly satin in the galley, head, under the dinette and the area from the vee berth to the galley. Not a Trojan, sold my F32 after 25 years and bought a 36 Hatteras. Lonseal is reasonable to work with. Picture thick vinyl flooring. Two ways Lonseal has to adhere the flooring. Contact cement (theirs) or epoxy. I used the contact cement. I made templates out of poster board and cut the lonseal with them. The first piece I put down had numerous angles and a long run, which made it difficult. I used wax paper between the substrate and the lonseal to prevent adhesion before I wanted. I will say that with the contact cement the supstrate will show even the smallest imperfection through the lonseal. I sanded and filled what I thought were all the imperfections. Still showed some things that I missed. The thing to consider is when this is installed it would be a real job to get up if it was ever needed to get to something underneath. I did glue the lonseal in the head because of all the curves and such. I did not glue it down in the galley or under the dinette. Both places were flat so I cut the pattern,laid it down and used quarter round to keep it in place. No problems after one season, which being retired is five days a week on board.If you want a couple pictures send me a PM with your email address and I'll send them.
Bob
Bob
1986 Hatteras 36 Sedan
Cat 3208T

1978 Trojan F32
Chrysler 360
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Bob,

Do you remember what your cost was for that material? I am in the middle of planning out my flooring project, but I'd like to keep costs reasonable.
gitchisum
Moderate User

Post by gitchisum »

Bill,

Looks like it's about $1000.00 for the salon / Galley no matter if I use Veneered plywood, Lonseal, or Amtico. From what I understand, the lonseal is pretty slip resistant and no coating needed like the veneer.

Just put some of your Slickcraft $ towards it !! :D
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
rmatt

Post by rmatt »

I bought mine from Defender when they had their spring sale. I bought ten running feet at $36.00 per foot. It comes only six feet wide. $360.00 plus about $80.00 a gal for the contact cement.
Bob
Bob
1986 Hatteras 36 Sedan
Cat 3208T

1978 Trojan F32
Chrysler 360
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

If you're looking for an option, Amtico teak and holley gets great reviews. I installed it about 4 years ago and it'll outlive the boat. Great stuff but painstaking to install.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
rmatt

Post by rmatt »

Scott, Did you get the pictures?
Bob
1986 Hatteras 36 Sedan
Cat 3208T

1978 Trojan F32
Chrysler 360
Lean Wolf

Post by Lean Wolf »

I refit my F-44 last winter and used Amtico teak and holly planking. It came out great and I am very happy with it. I did the salon, steps and galley.
Drew
1979 Trojan F44, Detroit 6-71's
Chopped 47 Ford, 460 CI
gitchisum
Moderate User

Post by gitchisum »

Bob,

I got the photos, thank you!!

I have read good things about the Amtico, it just sounds like installation is fussy.
Maybe the Lonseal is just as fussy, but I need something non slip and cleanable. We 99% fish and I expect to track "stuff" in from the cockpit.

I should have 8" x 10" samples by next week. As long as it doesn't look like Digi camo, I think we will go with it.
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

gitchisum wrote:Bill,

Looks like it's about $1000.00 for the salon / Galley no matter if I use Veneered plywood, Lonseal, or Amtico. From what I understand, the lonseal is pretty slip resistant and no coating needed like the veneer.

Just put some of your Slickcraft $ towards it !! :D

Hahah. Got to sell it first!

Looks like a good option for the Salon, but I need to have access through the floor in 3 spots in the galley. There is one under the steps and I think that might be a fresh water valve; possibly going to the water heater. Then there is a butt-connector of some sort on the galley side of the head wall. This looks like a post-production cut in the floor because its not "fitted;" A definite kerf. I have no idea what this pipe serves. Then there is a large 9"x16"-ish hatch in the floor in the hallway right in front of the dinette.

I think I need something that I can easily pick up and these products look like you need to use adhesive?

Anyway, I have been on the lookout for some inexpensive lay-flat vinyl.
rmatt

Post by rmatt »

bjanakos---I had some difficulty in gluing my Lonseal down in one area. Any place that is flat, it can be put down without adhesive. I used quarter round molding to hold it in place with no problems. If you have a hatch, you can use T molding to hold it in place.
Bob
1986 Hatteras 36 Sedan
Cat 3208T

1978 Trojan F32
Chrysler 360
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

BobCT wrote:If you're looking for an option, Amtico teak and holley gets great reviews. I installed it about 4 years ago and it'll outlive the boat. Great stuff but painstaking to install.

Bob
===================================================================================================================================

Bob,

I'd love to see some photos, particularly of how you handled the steps.

The issue for me is that my steps are CURVED !

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Harris,
I have a pic of Bobs steps someplace but cant find it right now. He used solid teak for his steps, not Amtico like his floors. he removed the carpet and filled and sanded the risers until they were smooth then painted the risers white. he also added small led lights to each riser. They turned out great, like always he did an awesome job.
Todd
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
gitchisum
Moderate User

Post by gitchisum »

After viewing the F44 pictures from Leanwolf, ( wow!! :shock: ) I ordered Amtico samples from TTCustommarine in FL.

It may take me some time, but If I can get close to what those pics looked like it will be worth it. The lonseal looks fine, but it is all the same shade. You don't see the shade variations that are present in Amtico.

Thanks everyone who weighed in. I will be asking more question when we get started.
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC