F-32 Deadrise for through-hull transducer

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bjanakos
Moderate User

F-32 Deadrise for through-hull transducer

Post by bjanakos »

I am considering a new through-hull transducer (B175M).

This is a "puck" style transducer and a fairing block is not an option and I would like to stay as close to the center line as possible. I am looking for a good spot to mount, but the optimal spots seem to be covered by the genset and the fresh water tank. Another option is forward of the engine intakes just aft of the bulkhead, but I think the keel might be in the way. I am curious how others have handled this.

Another question is the deadrise. I have measured the deadrise anywhere between 7-9 degrees in the mentioned areas. I can get a 0 or 12 degree tilt so I am leaning towards the 12. But I fish primarily between 60 and 180 feet of water with 250-300 feet to be a rarity and a maximum depth, so I think that the 0 will probably be just as good and offer me a better view of my running gear.
Last edited by bjanakos on Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cmount
Sporadic User

Re: F-32 Deadrise fot through-hull transducer

Post by Cmount »

I installed mine just forward of the intakes, right down near the keel where it was relatively flat. On the starboard side between the inboard stringers, just off the rear engine mount, about 3 inches or so up from the keel. It is a 12 degree Garmin.
1987 Jersey Dawn
"The Other Woman II"
Man Cave

Re: F-32 Deadrise for through-hull transducer

Post by Man Cave »

I was wondering how these puck style transducers worked out?

My new (old) F 28 is in the water and I can't install a permanent transducer until after the season. I am getting either a Lawrence or Garmin (not sure yet) plotter/fish finder combo and really need an accurate depth gauge more than anything. Not too worried about fish right now.

Did the puck style transducer get a decent signal thru the hull?
oldboat1
Sporadic User

Post by oldboat1 »

went through transducer issues this spring on my F26. The location of my existing thru hull transducer is pretty much directly under the steering station — which would be just aft of the bulkhead. It’s an old Hummingbird flush mount thru hull and worked OK in that location.

I bought a Hummingbird Helix5 SI. The transducer was transom mounted after a fairly lengthy discussion between the marina installer and the H.Bird help desk, at my request. (It worked fine, until cutting off when the ignition switch was operated — which I resolved by wiring the unit with an inline fuse directly to my house battery.)

couple of points: original location of the thru hull transducer approx under the steering station on my hull was OK. Second, a transom mount works fine for all functions (down and side imaging, gps, depth, temp.), if anybody is considering that. The location of the mount is just inboard of the starboard trim tab.
Motors should run. People -- not so much.

1980 F26, Mercruiser 305
1979 14' Starcraft, 1957 18 hp Evinrude and '57 3hp Evinrude kicker
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

My two cents on this......I have used epoxy to bed transducers ( got to be flat on the bottom) to the inside of hulls before, just make sure you bed them with no air bubbles below the ducer......now to find a good spot you can put the transducer in a plastic bag full of water , seal the bag around the cable and move it around the hull and watch the screen......the water will allow it to shoot thru so you can find the spot you want, then mark it, clean the hull, make a dam and bed it there.....always worked for me.....Mike
AndyF32
Sporadic User

Post by AndyF32 »

How well do the shoot thru transducers work? as well as a traditional transducer?
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

AndyF32 wrote:How well do the shoot thru transducers work? as well as a traditional transducer?
They work, but not as well.
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

I installed mine just aft of the salon bulkhead. If I could do it again, I would probably move it more to the rear as I get quite a bit of interference while I am running. I was hoping to get a clearer picture when up on plane.
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

I installed mine just aft of the salon bulkhead. If I could do it again, I would probably move it more to the rear as I get quite a bit of interference while I am running. I was hoping to get a clearer picture when up on plane.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

[quote="Bucket List"]I was wondering how these puck style transducers worked out?

My new (old) F 28 is in the water and I can't install a permanent transducer until after the season. I am getting either a Lawrence or Garmin (not sure yet) plotter/fish finder combo and really need an accurate depth gauge more than anything. Not too worried about fish right now.

On my f28 I used two Humminbird transducers with faring cut to dead rise, one on either side of keel (all our boats have keel issue). these are side scan ducers which go with my hummingbird 1198SI. Humminbird makes a splitter cord that brings left and right into one plug that the head will interpret so you get a 360 degree view. The were mounted in first compartment where water heater, pumps and a/c are in. No prob.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink